The Travel Thread

MAK

Ok... so back to this thread after long time..... 

When it comes to South East Asia Tour, If you ask me..

Anyday I would prefer Vietnam/Laos/Cambodia over Thailand/Singapore/Indonesia/Malaysia. There are far more natural beauties than the materialistic buildings and man made monuments. The only exceptions are Lang Kawi/Phuket/Bali due to obvious reasons :D (I am talking about beaches)

Now, few above posts discussing about Singapore & Dubai. Both for me are very good places but again mostly are man made structures and are modern.

Singapore -- Changi Airport/Sentosa/GardensbytheBay/Malls/Chinatown/ClarkeQuay/SingaporeFlyer

Dubai -- Burj Khalifa/Dubai Mall/Mall of Emirates/Jumerah Mosque/Beach/Deira/Souks/The Atlantis/DubaiMarina Boat Ride(Night)/Amusement Parks/One Day Trip to AbuDhabi (This covers Emirates Palace/Sheikh Zayed Mosque/FerrariWorld/Yas Island/DC Studio/Marina Mall)

Cost wise Dubai cheaper than Singapore and will get you cover 3 places entirely (Sharjah/Dubai/AbuDhabi)

And now... Tell me Why most of you are planning abroad ? Did you guyz really see the whole of India ? Not to offend anyone but at these times taking risk why you want to go to abroad ? There are so so many beautiful places in India that you have absolutely no idea.

I mean, barring the extreme east I have been to all over India in my 34 years (Courtesy, Father's Central Govt Railway Pass), There are still far more places for me to cover. Each place has its own beauty from Kerala to Kashmir and from Gujarat to Manipur!

And you know what, Most are actually natural and not man made like the Singapores/Dubais/HongKongs etc...

This is the best time to witness India as you can now roam all over country without fear and keeping a good safety than flying abroad! Once things are in place, you can anyway visit abroad. 

There is absolutely nothing to boast about been traveled to Singapore/Dubai/HongKong and few others which are only modern skyscrapers and man made, Each places from Each Zone in India will put them to shame. Honestly speaking and IMHO.

Now Europe/Africa/ASPAC/US/Oceana and South America are worth. And considering the situation now, You can visit to Africa and Middle East (UAE/Bahrain/Oman) without any issues as per latest travel advise. For other continents and their countries My suggestion is to hold on till things get stabilized.

1 hour ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Hotels are f**king expensive, so get an Airbnb. Bigger rooms, cheaper prices. Also buy all tourist tickets online, you'll get decent discounts. Spot tickets are expensive, and generally have a queue. 

It's just one of the places which always makes me happy. 

+1 for airbnb. Much better and cheaper. Hotels are damn small. However, when I had gone, that same year Singapore banned airbnb for less than 3-4 month stay so my airbnb reservation was cancelled at the very last minute :(

Not sure if they allow airbnb now or not though. If they do, tons of good options there!

Also agreed, beautiful place. Must visit for sure. Also the museums there are pretty good

8 hours ago, kunjanp said:

Now Singapore, place ain't cheap. Can easily cross 1L/person including stay and flights for 5 days if you want to do everything because nightlife is especially expensive. It's just what you have to deal with, I personally rented a cycle and was amazing experience.

And Changi, gosh, that place is next level. I purposely reached there 4hrs early, I thought they won't let me in because I was too early but they did. And I could have spent a lot more exploring that "airport".

Changi has its own webpage/app which is continuously updated with all the areas to explore in T1/2/3/4. It's just an amazing place. Only airport where you wouldn't mind spending hours, and not get bored. 

8 hours ago, Lazyboy8134 said:

+1 for airbnb. Much better and cheaper. Hotels are damn small. However, when I had gone, that same year Singapore banned airbnb for less than 3-4 month stay so my airbnb reservation was cancelled at the very last minute :(

Not sure if they allow airbnb now or not though. If they do, tons of good options there!

Also agreed, beautiful place. Must visit for sure. Also the museums there are pretty good

When was this ? I took an Airbnb in Singapore in 2017. 

1 hour ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

When was this ? I took an Airbnb in Singapore in 2017. 

For how long did you stay and what month was it? Any idea?

I had gone in 2017 as well. May 2017! And at that time the law had just passed or something and everything was up in the air. There was too much confusion. Had spoken to the airbnb CS and even they said its out of their control. My airbnb owner herself called me and spoke to me and she had told me that they're fining people who are hosting guests for less than a 3 month stay so she had to cancel our booking as it was too risky.

20 minutes ago, Lazyboy8134 said:

For how long did you stay and what month was it? Any idea?

I had gone in 2017 as well. May 2017! And at that time the law had just passed or something and everything was up in the air. There was too much confusion. Had spoken to the airbnb CS and even they said its out of their control. My airbnb owner herself called me and spoke to me and she had told me that they're fining people who are hosting guests for less than a 3 month stay so she had to cancel our booking as it was too risky.

We went in Feb 2017. 

7 minutes ago, SuperT said:

Will be going to Jim Corbett for a couple of days in March. Where can I book the safari ? Is there any official govt. site ? I contacted a few agents they are charging around 6-7k for a family of 4 for one jeep. Is the rate okay ?

https://www.corbettonline.uk.gov.in/

This is the only official site. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, kunjanp said:

Now Singapore, place ain't cheap. Can easily cross 1L/person including stay and flights for 5 days if you want to do everything because nightlife is especially expensive. It's just what you have to deal with, I personally rented a cycle and was amazing experience.

And Changi, gosh, that place is next level. I purposely reached there 4hrs early, I thought they won't let me in because I was too early but they did. And I could have spent a lot more exploring that "airport".

Did you go with family, or friends, or alone? Cycling? This can't get any better. Will def get hold of a cycle in that case. 

Will ask for specifics to do Singapore once these f**king borders open up.

46 minutes ago, SuperT said:

Will be going to Jim Corbett for a couple of days in March. Where can I book the safari ? Is there any official govt. site ? I contacted a few agents they are charging around 6-7k for a family of 4 for one jeep. Is the rate okay ?

Too much. I've been there multiple times over the last few years, but last time I took the safari it was 3.5K for one jeep. 

Go to the official site imo.

If you're going by your own car, would highly recommend going a bit further up to Marchula. Shouldn't take more than an hour, but the view is absolutely beautiful, and the road is easy to drive as well.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Chirag2001 said:

Did you go with family, or friends, or alone? Cycling? This can't get any better. Will def get hold of a cycle in that case. 

Will ask for specifics to do Singapore once these f**king borders open up.

NUS internship. Me and a couple of friends.

11 hours ago, Snake said:

My only wish when it comes to travel is to visit Japan.

I had saved up a good but of money but some wanker had to go eat a bat.

Mine too. I've never been out of the country but I want to visit Japan one day. Heck, I even started learning Japanese(always wanted to learn another language) but damn their writing system is messed up.

1 hour ago, Aloy said:

Mine too. I've never been out of the country but I want to visit Japan one day. Heck, I even started learning Japanese(always wanted to learn another language) but damn their writing system is messed up.

And it's even more tough to find people to go to such place with you. Everyone wants to go to Europe or US instead. My Japan trip would probably be solo only.

Edited by kunjanp

Singapore was amazing. Great family/kids destination for 3-4 days. Probably changed a lot but back then Sentosa laser show was absolutely magical. ?

Night Safari was great as well. Shopping was expensive back then too but I didn't buy anything except Merlion souvenir which I still have. Mustafa Centre is easy time wasting if you have nothing to do. 

You don't need any package or guides. You can walk or cycle to spots very easily. People are friendly enough to talk and guide when needed. Don't shop for stuff you can buy in your own country. Don't stay in super expensive hotels as you won't be staying in your room whole day/night. Most of the resorts are open 24/7 and we usually returned by 2-3am. Even that time people were sitting out and talking. 

Post-Covid probably changed a lot but overall Singapore is great spot. 

15 hours ago, kunjanp said:

Dubai isn't as touristy as Singapore. Their main attractions are their huge malls, seriously, they are massive. Shopping isn't cheap, most of the things like clothes etc are more expensive as compared to India. 

But the malls do have a charm especially Dubai Mall, the fountain show is a must see, specifically at night. The Burj Khalifa is right outside and it glows, the whole thing is a spectacle.

Then you have your theme parks like Legoland, Islands of Adventure and places like Miracle Garden, Aquarium etc. These are nice places.

You can go across Dubai Creek and explor Deira, very good and classic Dubai Market. Bur Dubai is also worth a visit. These are basically places you will explore.

But here is what I recommend, explore Deira and Bur (will take you a day) in the morning then take some rest and go to the malls and check out the fountain.

You will find plenty of eateries to try.

Then schedule the days acc. to the different theme parks etc you want to visit.

But take a ride to Abu Dhabi and visit Ferrari World, there is nothing like it. YAS island is amazing.

You can spend more days going around malls, there is plenty to see. Go on desert safari once, mandatory experience.

But every night go to JBR, that place is 1.5-2km stretch and is damn amazing. Great aura, right around the beach, hit the local breweries and pubs. Go to cheesecake factory and later spend time on the beach, such a great feeling.

And don't forget to visit The Irish Village and The Belgian Beer Cafe. These are two of the best cafes out there.

Dubai is more about going to these places rather than walking and exploring.

Also, it's a dry country. You will find booze only in designated cafes or bars in 5 stars but those aren't exorbitantly priced, so if you partake then buy your alcohol at the airport.

Also, voice and video doesn't work there unless you use and pay for their native BOTIM app.

All in all, great place but in terms of exploration, Singapore is better.

Thanks for sharing all this dude. I will be visiting Dubai for honeymoon for 7 nights between during 10-17 March. 2 nights in Atlantis and 5 nights in mainland Dubai.

17 minutes ago, Sach4life said:

Thanks for sharing all this dude. I will be visiting Dubai for honeymoon for 7 nights between during 10-17 March. 2 nights in Atlantis and 5 nights in mainland Dubai.

You can cover most of this via metro, just get a temporary "red" card at the metro. Works well because they are directly connected to the Malls.

Or you can stick to cabs, easily accessible but obviously will cost more but more comfortable and generally quicker. Don't try walking around much because it can get hot.

Have fun bro, Atlantis is amazing. 

Don't miss out on JBR, Irish Village and The Belgian Cafe (go at night and sit outside, enjoy the view).

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Joe Cool said:

Singapore was amazing. Great family/kids destination for 3-4 days. Probably changed a lot but back then Sentosa laser show was absolutely magical. ?

Night Safari was great as well. Shopping was expensive back then too but I didn't buy anything except Merlion souvenir which I still have. Mustafa Centre is easy time wasting if you have nothing to do. 

You don't need any package or guides. You can walk or cycle to spots very easily. People are friendly enough to talk and guide when needed. Don't shop for stuff you can buy in your own country. Don't stay in super expensive hotels as you won't be staying in your room whole day/night. Most of the resorts are open 24/7 and we usually returned by 2-3am. Even that time people were sitting out and talking. 

Post-Covid probably changed a lot but overall Singapore is great spot. 

Yeah. A lot of walking, A LOT. 

I don't think my parents can enjoy Singapore since there's a LOT OF WALKING. 

And most of the tourist places charge insanely high for water. It's cheaper to get fizzy drinks than water, plus that also gives you some sugar to keep on pushing forward. 

The good part is even though you'll get sweaty with all the walking, you'll never get bored. 

Edit: Mustafa is a great place to pile up on KY water based lube since you only get the creams in India. :P

Edited by Bird Bird Bird