The Travel Thread

MAK

2 hours ago, blitzkreiig said:

I need to get mom a Sim for 1-2 days for travelling to Australia. Which network (Airtel or Jio )would be more economical so that she can make calls within that country.

In my experience, almost every Indian operator charges just about the same. And the service can be really dodgy while being expensive.

I would suggest to get a local sim on arrival from the airport. Much better prices even for international calls and data. It's instantly activated.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I’m not sure if t this is the right thread, but a friend of mine is visiting Dubai next week and wants to buy some electronics. Specifically an iPhone along with ipods and an Apple Watch if budget permits.

Does anyone know of where to score some good deals or any specific shops 

• 1 month later...

Need some info from folks in Mumbai..or anyone else who has an idea. I will be reaching Lokmanya Tilak Terminus Railway station around 6:30pm.

1. Best/Fastest way to reach Lonavla from there? I guess that will be Cab/Taxi. If thats the case how long does it take? Google says ~1.5 hrs but not sure whats the traffic situation be like around that time.

2. Can anyone give some idea on cab fare? Again on googling I am getting widely different fares in different sites.

1 hour ago, Bauji said:

Need some info from folks in Mumbai..or anyone else who has an idea. I will be reaching Lokmanya Tilak Terminus Railway station around 6:30pm.

1. Best/Fastest way to reach Lonavla from there? I guess that will be Cab/Taxi. If thats the case how long does it take? Google says ~1.5 hrs but not sure whats the traffic situation be like around that time.

2. Can anyone give some idea on cab fare? Again on googling I am getting widely different fares in different sites.

Fastest way is def a cab or a pvt car. You can reach in 1.5 hrs if it's your own car and depending on the time you travel. 6.30 pm means heavy traffic so add 60-90 mins depending on your luck. Fare can be anything between 2k+. And outstation ola/Uber cabs take time to arrive so if u make up your mind to travel by car do make the booking in advance while you're still travelling. 

If you do want a cheaper option take an auto from LTT to Yogi restuarant chembur ( or tell them neeta travels chembur). There are a bunch of travel operators nearby and literally every bus going out of Mumbai will travel via lonavala so you can get a ticket for cheap. If you're lucky you might even get sharing cabs from here. You can even skip the travel Operators & book it directly with the conductor/helper when a bus arrives. Just tell him to drop you near lonavala and most will do it for a lower amt. But make sure you ask the bus guys about your dropoff point, if they drop you on the highway then it's better to avoid as you'll be in the middle of nowhere & it'll be late when you reach + the auto drivers outside Mumbai are fking dacoits. 

Bottomline .. If you're travelling with family just take the cab, if solo you can take the bus but be careful.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Aight so borders are finally opening up for tourists without quarantine requirements, and I have been looking at the calendar. I'm thinking August 9th-August 15th (using the holidays for Muharram and Independence Day) - gives me about 6 nights/7 days. 

Can be shorter than that also. Where can I go, with parents, major concern being the weather. We prefer cold, not hot. Delhi heat is horrible that time of the year - and a short international trip would be a much welcome respite.

• 4 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, hope said:

Any idea how much jwelllery we can carry on domestic flights. Do we need bill n all for domestic as well?  Plan to carry in Cabin only. Do i need to show n all? 

They dont usually bother with all this unless you are smuggling gold and that too in an international flight. A mardwadi friend shifted from Pune to Gurgaon and carried all her jewellery with her. You can imaging then qty of gold a typical marwari has just triple it. 

48 minutes ago, Bhpian Bali said:

They dont usually bother with all this unless you are smuggling gold and that too in an international flight. A mardwadi friend shifted from Pune to Gurgaon and carried all her jewellery with her. You can imaging then qty of gold a typical marwari has just triple it. 

Ok thanks bro :)

So the situation with Schengen Visa appointments is... inconvenient. No appointments available and the online systems are a bit messy. Anyone know anyone who knows anyone who can help? :) 

Need to travel at the end of this month.  

On 5/3/2022 at 11:04 PM, achilles said:

So the situation with Schengen Visa appointments is... inconvenient. No appointments available and the online systems are a bit messy. Anyone know anyone who knows anyone who can help? :) 

Need to travel at the end of this month.  

:naughty:

But in all honesty tough to find anyone who can help, maybe talk to some agent. Go to some place where you don't need visa, maldives maybe, if i understand correctly wwhy this trip is being planned!

13 hours ago, AtheK said:

:naughty:

But in all honesty tough to find anyone who can help, maybe talk to some agent. Go to some place where you don't need visa, maldives maybe, if i understand correctly wwhy this trip is being planned!

Haha, nahi bhai. This is mostly for work. What you understand is a bit down the line. Agents are helpless too. Put this on tbhp as well and will do as suggested, just walk-in :P 

Would've hit you up anyway, tell me where to pick the Joker from ^_^

5 hours ago, achilles said:

Haha, nahi bhai. This is mostly for work. What you understand is a bit down the line. Agents are helpless too. Put this on tbhp as well and will do as suggested, just walk-in :P 

Would've hit you up anyway, tell me where to pick the Joker from ^_^

First you get the visa :P

On 5/10/2022 at 7:34 AM, LordSpymaster said:

Any clue what's a good brand for luggage bags? I plan to get a 3 piece set, with wheels and shiz. Looking at American Tourister and Samsonite, though AT is cheaper than the other.

Check out Mokobara. Some Delsey designs are nice too.