The Travel Thread

MAK

On 5/10/2022 at 7:34 AM, LordSpymaster said:

Any clue what's a good brand for luggage bags? I plan to get a 3 piece set, with wheels and shiz. Looking at American Tourister and Samsonite, though AT is cheaper than the other.

Delsey, Samsonite and Mokobara

On 5/10/2022 at 7:34 AM, LordSpymaster said:

Any clue what's a good brand for luggage bags? I plan to get a 3 piece set, with wheels and shiz. Looking at American Tourister and Samsonite, though AT is cheaper than the other.

Samsonite is the better one. Victorinox is also very good. 

11 minutes ago, dante77 said:

Is is there any good offer going around for HDFC Regalia CC for flight and hotel booking?

How can I use any of my CC to get the most of my travel!? 

I have Regalia, ICICI Amazon and SBI Simply click card. 

Depends on your total spend.

Regalia bonus points are capped at 2k/day via Smartbuy.

Sometimes they run flat 10% upto a maximum discount, you will have to check that but now they also have a dynamic convenience fee which can vary a lot and can cost a lot more than other platforms.

Smartbuy is being nerfed heavily every other month.

https://offers.reward360.in/savings_calculator

Use this calculator to see if you will hit 2k bonus limit on Regalia via Smartbuy and then compare with Amazon's price + cashback using ICICI CC, check which comes out to be better in reward rate but obviously keep in mind what's the total amount you are spending, Smartbuy can be fickle.

Edited by KunjanPSD

1 hour ago, KunjanPSD said:

Depends on your total spend.

Regalia bonus points are capped at 2k/day via Smartbuy.

Sometimes they run flat 10% upto a maximum discount, you will have to check that but now they also have a dynamic convenience fee which can vary a lot and can cost a lot more than other platforms.

Smartbuy is being nerfed heavily every other month.

https://offers.reward360.in/savings_calculator

Use this calculator to see if you will hit 2k bonus limit on Regalia via Smartbuy and then compare with Amazon's price + cashback using ICICI CC, check which comes out to be better in reward rate but obviously keep in mind what's the total amount you are spending, Smartbuy can be fickle.

I don't understand this post one bit. But thanks ???

I am basically planning Dubai. Flight and Accommodation I am planning with my CC. I heard CC and travel go hand in hand. That is why I was asking. Don't understand Smartbuy thing. Only have Smartpay enabled on Regalia card for my electricity bill lol. 

12 minutes ago, dante77 said:

I don't understand this post one bit. But thanks ???

I am basically planning Dubai. Flight and Accommodation I am planning with my CC. I heard CC and travel go hand in hand. That is why I was asking. Don't understand Smartbuy thing. Only have Smartpay enabled on Regalia card for my electricity bill lol. 

Bhai, usual reward point rate is 4pts/150 bucks on Regalia. In addition to that you get bonus reward points if you shop via Smartbuy. For Flight bookings and accomodation generally 5x i.e. instead of 4/150, you get 20/150.

But these extra 4x points are capped to 2k pts/day and 4k/month for regalia. Post that you will only get usual points.

Only daily cap needs to be considered for a lumpsum, single payment.

Now on Smartbuy, they sometime run coupons for 10% on flights, that you will have to check.

And now they have a dynamic convenience fee which sometimes is almost stupid, like 300 on MMT/Amz vs 1000 on Smartbuy.

EaseMyTrip generally has good coupons for Amz ICICI.

So that is what you need to check if any coupon is available on Smartbuy or not as compared to 3rd party website and if it is charging you crazy high convenience fee, which together makes your earned 2k points worth a lot less because of a higher intial cost.

Basically calculate your rewards/total paid, to check reward rate.

Generally take 1 point as 0.5 bucks for reward for Regalia.

If the price checks out in favour of Smartbuy, now you need to check if ICICI Amz CC cashback > 2k/points (1000 bucks) or not.

Because Amz ICICI is unlimited cashback while Regalia is obviously capped to 2k.

You need to consider a few combinations to get the best value.

Maybe start with EaseMyTrip coupon + 2% cashback vs Amz Flights + 5% cashback. I am assuming your spend will be high enough that Amz ICICI CC will win.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, dante77 said:

Amazon ICICI card offer seems tempting. Giving 10% off but only on Wednesday and Thursday! FML! Let's hope flight cost doesn't increase by then. 

I don't see any specific Regalia offers. 

Looks like no Smartbuy offer right now.

That's the biggest drawback of Smartbuy.

I guess you are better off with Amz only.

Also everyone is looking to travel to Dubai, economy return tickets are touching 40k, I travelled for 22k in 2019. 

Such gouging.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, KunjanPSD said:

Also everyone is looking to travel to Dubai, economy return tickets are touching 40k, I travelled for 22k in 2019. 

Such gouging.

Also for forex, check out Bookmyforex. Best rates for card/cash load & unload.

Although, you can also use something like Fi or Niyo. They offer 0 markup on exchange rates which basically means you get the rates which are available on the Visa network for that particular day.

Visa rates are generally better but marginally like 77.57/USD on Bookmyforex vs 77.50 on Visa.

But you can always use your CC on Bookmyforex to earn regular reward points!

34 minutes ago, KunjanPSD said:

Such gouging.

Damn ?, just few weeks back a lot of flights to Dubai/Abu Dhabi roundtrip was 16-18k. Still some flights on Skyscanner are in 15-20k range.

The average rate of return ticket eco class is 23k to 26k. Going from my place Lucknow, overall cost is around 60k for 2 adults return. 

The reason I am thinking of going in June end is because July August is off season and heat is unbearable as told by some of my friends there. 

Also, it will be first time intl trip with Missuss! 

8 minutes ago, dante77 said:

The average rate of return ticket eco class is 23k to 26k. Going from my place Lucknow, overall cost is around 60k for 2 adults return. 

The reason I am thinking of going in June end is because July August is off season and heat is unbearable as told by some of my friends there. 

Also, it will be first time intl trip with Missuss! 

Ahh, I was looking for December tickets and hence the higher price. Although it's gonna be hot in Dubai/Abu even in June.

Like in Dec, it wasn't even cold, just roam around in a Tshirt.

• Like 1

Saavdhaan rho, Sathark rho.

Best is to preconvert some money in cash and take it with you and use your card for everything else.

I personally have experience PoS machines asking which currency to use and the barista hit USD even though I told him not to. Charged me a conversion fee.

Always pay in local currency and decline any conversion on ATM in the off chance you really need cash.

1 hour ago, KunjanPSD said:

Also for forex, check out Bookmyforex. Best rates for card/cash load & unload.

Although, you can also use something like Fi or Niyo. They offer 0 markup on exchange rates which basically means you get the rates which are available on the Visa network for that particular day.

Visa rates are generally better but marginally like 77.57/USD on Bookmyforex vs 77.50 on Visa.

But you can always use your CC on Bookmyforex to earn regular reward points!

Never heard of these forex sites. Have you used it? Does anyone have experience using their Indian cards abroad? I have usually paid via cash for everything. Never cards, but may consider it next time...

Just now, LordSpymaster said:

Never heard of these forex sites. Have you used it? Does anyone have experience using their Indian cards abroad? I have usually paid via cash for everything. Never cards, but may consider it next time...

Have used Bookmyforex extensively for their cash service. You place an order, you get the currency delivered in a couple days at best.

Haven't used their card personally but Bookmyforex is very famous and reliable. My friends have used extensively in US and many people use it on Twitter, no problems whatsoever.

They are cheaper because of the same logic Zerodha didn't charge brokerage, discount vs full service exchanges.

Do consider their card or cash service next time or use Fi/Niyo accounts. 

As a rule of thumb never withdraw cash abroad until absolutely necessary.

Query on hotel booking in advance. If I book online a non refundable hotel for few nights. Then in case of no show or cancel. The whole cost is gonna cut or just the one night cost? 

Asking because it is written in some hotel websites that they cut one charge while travel apps like MMT doesn't mention this  explicitly. 

Like if I book for 20k for 5 nights non refundable, then in case of cancel or no show. Will the whole ammout be deducted or just 4k (one night)? 

1 hour ago, dante77 said:

Query on hotel booking in advance. If I book online a non refundable hotel for few nights. Then in case of no show or cancel. The whole cost is gonna cut or just the one night cost? 

Asking because it is written in some hotel websites that they cut one charge while travel apps like MMT doesn't mention this  explicitly. 

Like if I book for 20k for 5 nights non refundable, then in case of cancel or no show. Will the whole ammout be deducted or just 4k (one night)? 

If it says non refundable while booking, everything is deducted. 

• Sad 1

On 5/18/2022 at 4:43 PM, dante77 said:

If I may.... try to go for a serviced apartment when u travel there unless you're going for a luxurious holiday. Serviced apartments come with a fully functional kitchen & days over there will be extremely hot so visiting outdoor places are a strictly nov&  you'll end up spending most of days from morning till noon inside your room only so cooking lunch & breakfast or reheating dinner leftovers/ready to eat food are the way to go. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1