The Travel Thread

MAK

2 hours ago, dante77 said:

Best of luck. Hope you get all the success that you are expecting from there! 

Thanks man

2 hours ago, KunjanPSD said:

Ja Simran Ja!

Whatever it's for, work/family etc, all the best to you.

Thanks bro

1 hour ago, North said:

Congrats man, best of luck 

Clink Clink Agree GIF by Hello All

Thanks man!

4 hours ago, Sach4life said:

Relocating to Australia tonight. Such mixed feelings :(

Safe travels bro, congrats. Go throw a shrimp on the barbie ya c**t 

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Looking to vacation abroad with the fam in a couple months time - October/November.

I've heard the visa approval timeline is really screwed right now.

Any advice on what countries the process might be a bit smoother? I might consider getting an agent to handle the bookings, its often easier.

Considering going to Europe, and I've heard the Schengen visa requires a f**k ton of documents and its a pain in the a*s. But open to other options as well.

24 minutes ago, North said:

Looking to vacation abroad with the fam in a couple months time - October/November.

Any advice on what countries the process might be a bit smoother? I might consider getting an agent to handle the bookings, its often easier.

Considering going to Europe, and I've heard the Schengen visa requires a f**k ton of documents and its a pain in the a*s. But open to other options as well.

I am travelling to Europe in Dec, and got the visa appointment for end Sept. Didn't see any slots for that. 

Even if you fill the form today, that's the time you'll get the appointment. 

Maybe try someplace else since your date is closer.

52 minutes ago, North said:

Visa process is totally f**ked up right now. First challenge is getting the appointment and then the other is getting the visa processed in time. My Croatian visa is in process for the last 6 weeks. I have tried calling and emailing the embassy but nothing has worked. This may not be the case with every country but still the processing time is quite long now a days.

Another challenge is the flight fares. The flights are very expensive right now and the prices are going up day by day. I booked a fully refundable for the visa process so that I could cancel it in the event of visa refusal. At the time of booking, i.e., 6 weeks ago, the refundable tickets were priced at 280K for three people (2 adults + 5 yr old child) and non refundable were 165K. Right now, the non-refundable tickets are priced 220K. By the time my visa arrives, the non-refundable tickets will be at par with refundable tickets. I am thinking about canceling my Europe trip but it is not worth the expenses anymore. It is better to travel to a SE Asian country with visa on arrival facility.

Edited by TheMonark
  • Like 1

On 8/19/2022 at 4:37 PM, TheMonark said:

Visa process is totally f**ked up right now. First challenge is getting the appointment and then the other is getting the visa processed in time. My Croatian visa is in process for the last 6 weeks. I have tried calling and emailing the embassy but nothing has worked. This may not be the case with every country but still the processing time is quite long now a days.

Another challenge is the flight fares. The flights are very expensive right now and the prices are going up day by day. I booked a fully refundable for the visa process so that I could cancel it in the event of visa refusal. At the time of booking, i.e., 6 weeks ago, the refundable tickets were priced at 280K for three people (2 adults + 5 yr old child) and non refundable were 165K. Right now, the non-refundable tickets are priced 220K. By the time my visa arrives, the non-refundable tickets will be at par with refundable tickets. I am thinking about canceling my Europe trip but it is not worth the expenses anymore. It is better to travel to a SE Asian country with visa on arrival facility.

Yeah, looking at Singapore. 

Going with my parents, wondering if I go airbnb or hotel. People who've been to Singapore with family and are familiar, what area/neighbourhood should I look at?

Would like to step out everyday and eat at different joints + walk around a lot. We like a lot of stuff to see within walking distance. 

6 hours ago, North said:

Going with my parents, wondering if I go airbnb or hotel. People who've been to Singapore with family and are familiar, what area/neighbourhood should I look at?

Would like to step out everyday and eat at different joints + walk around a lot. We like a lot of stuff to see within walking distance. 

I have been to Singapore. Went on 2017 with my brother. Stayed at Hilton Garden Inn which is in little India or a similar named area I don't remember. 

I HIGHY recommend going to the Zoo there along with night safari. These are 3 adjacent but separate areas and take whole day but they are well worth your time and should be enjoyed in a single day. The highlight for me! May require a lot of walking though. 

Apart from that, obviously there is Marina Bay Sands view point and it's on the top observation deck. 

12 hours ago, North said:

6 hours ago, dante77 said:

I have been to Singapore. Went on 2017 with my brother. Stayed at Hilton Garden Inn which is in little India or a similar named area I don't remember. 

I HIGHY recommend going to the Zoo there along with night safari. These are 3 adjacent but separate areas and take whole day but they are well worth your time and should be enjoyed in a single day. The highlight for me! May require a lot of walking though. 

Apart from that, obviously there is Marina Bay Sands view point and it's on the top observation deck. 

Good call on Little India, I stayed at the Park there, and they had south indian as part of their breakfast menu. Decent food tbh. 

Quite near that was Mustafa, great for shopping at discounts.

Go to Gardens By The Bay for an amazing experience with plants and greenery, and the Singapore Eye near that for views of the city. 

Sentosa is worth its own day trip, especially the aquarium, beach shows, butterfly garden, nature walk, Madame Tussauds, the other fun actives like Luge, etc and Universal Studios. 

Some of these aren't walking distance from your hotel, but Singapore has amazing public transport and you should be able to use a bus or metro to get to most places easily.

I went to Singapore twice, so let me know if I can help with anything else.

13 hours ago, North said:

Singapore Airbnbs have now gotten tremendously expensive. The housing situation is pretty bad right now (scarcity due to Covid), and hence the high pricing. They are as expensive as decent hotels, without the amenities. Still, you might get a good deal if planned well in advance. 
It’s a city well connected with clean public transport - metro and bus. You can buy an MRT card and it’ll work for public transport. Taxis are easily available, and you’ve GRAB on demand (it’s like a super app). 
Little India has OK-ish places if you specifically want to stay near Indian places - but you can get better hospitality elsewhere. 
Places near Marina Bay Sand might offer better view (Fairmont, Fullerton, Swissotel etc), and the hospitality is excellent. 
Orchard street is for high end shopping. 
Bugis street/village/Junction/+ is for shopping to your hearts content, but not break the bank. You can even negotiate in Bugis. Also check out multiple shops on 4th floor in Bugis - you’ll find a TON of stuff not available on India (they also have a huge BHG - well worth the visit). 

Avoid Mustafa as that place is just dreary and unwelcoming. It does stock everything under the sun, but the general ambience leaves much to be desired. I would only recommend for perfumes. 
For sightseeing,

1 day for zoo. Start at 9 am, and you’ll finish the day at 9 pm. Day zoo, river zoo and river safari, night safari. All worth the effort. 
Half a day (or lesser) for Jurong Bird Park. You can do around Singapore Eye + Merlion + Clarke Quay for rest of the day. Good eating places around Singapore river. 
1 day for experiencing Marina Bay Sands + Gardens by the Bay + Cloud Forest + Flower Dome + Super Trees (and their evening show)

1 and half days for Sentosa if you want to explore it fully. You’ll easily spend half a day enjoying rides in Universal (get the fast/express pass), followed by SEA aquarium (amazing stuff), flying fox etc. Don’t miss their evening and night shows (some are free, some are paid), and cable car journey (you can buy the day pass, which allows unlimited travel). 
Singapore also is a hub for many interesting museums. Check online on what’s running now - the ArtScience is always a treat. 
It’s a young city, with great vibe. Explore different parts, and I’m sure you’ll enjoy it. 
Hit me up if you need to know anything specific.

Edit: If you’ve extra days, there are good 1-3 day cruises from Singapore - both to nearby countries, but also “cruise to nowhere”. Pretty cool stuff too. 

Edited by Bird Bird Bird
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Adding to the above - plan a day at the airport (departure day) - Changi does amazing treats at the different terminals. AFAIK, 2 terminals are closed, and only 2 are operative. But you have the butterfly garden, sunglower garden, orchid garden, a free movie theater and bunch of other artistic attractions throughout the airport (download the Changi app). The newest one is paid - Jewel Changi, but worth the entry price (https://www.jewelchangiairport.com/en/attractions.html). 

The duty free shopping has decent collection, and many electronic items are cheaper (Apple stuff, headphones etc.). I still find Sim Lim and Bugis to be cheaper, but the duty free is good to carry souvenirs/toys etc.  

• 4 weeks later...

How does this itinerary sounds? What's the best way to book a flight right now? Google/MMT? 

Singapore:

Day # 1 (After checking at 14:00)

Evening:

River Wonders + Night Safari Combo 

Day # 2 

Morning:

Singapore Zoo (Include Tram Ride)

Jurong Bird Park

Evening:

Gardens by the Bay and Marina Bay Sands Skypark Evening Tour 

Day 3# 

Whole day: Sentosa Island

S.E.A. Aquarium and Universal Studios Singapore With Shared Transfers (non-guided)

Cable Car ride and Skyride

Day 4#

jewelchangiairport - Canopy Bridge/Hedge Maze/Skybridge/Mirror Maze/Manulife Sky Nets Walking

OR

Shopping

Leave for KL

KL: 

Day 5#  

Putrajaya, KL City, Batu Caves & Fireflies Trip (4 in 1 Combo Tour) 

Day 6# KL 

Malacca Night Tour with River Cruise Trishaw Ride (Shared)

day 7# return 

33 minutes ago, R1shabh said:

Day 3# 

Whole day: Sentosa Island

S.E.A. Aquarium and Universal Studios Singapore With Shared Transfers (non-guided)

Cable Car ride and Skyride

Not sure how interested you are in roller coaster rides and all, but USS is a whole day affair by itself. I had taken a 2 day Sentosa trip, 1 for USS and 1 for all other things like Luge rides, 4D shows, aquarium, etc. 

17 minutes ago, LordSpymaster said:

Not sure how interested you are in roller coaster rides and all, but USS is a whole day affair by itself. I had taken a 2 day Sentosa trip, 1 for USS and 1 for all other things like Luge rides, 4D shows, aquarium, etc. 

I am but I will be travelling with wife, 8 year old and mother so 1 day should be fine. I will take express pass for myself. 

If you dont mind answering few more question - 

• How did you commute locally? Metro? Buses? Are they easy to get for a non-SGP person?
  • Where did you book attractions tickets from? 
  • Did you take customise tour with MMT/Thomas cook etc or local operators or planned everything yourselves? I am finding much better hotels (and rates) if I do it myself but its a lot of work and planning. 

33 minutes ago, R1shabh said:

I am but I will be travelling with wife, 8 year old and mother so 1 day should be fine. I will take express pass for myself. 

If you dont mind answering few more question - 

• How did you commute locally? Metro? Buses? Are they easy to get for a non-SGP person?
  • Where did you book attractions tickets from? 
  • Did you take customise tour with MMT/Thomas cook etc or local operators or planned everything yourselves? I am finding much better hotels (and rates) if I do it myself but its a lot of work and planning. 

1. Local commute is extremely easily. There's a single travel card that can be used for metro rail, mono rail as well as buses. Just use google maps to find your nearest station. Singapore is insanely well connected that I rarely used cabs when I visited a few years back.
2. Check online. I remember booking directly from the zoo / Sentosa sites.

3. I planned everything. Singapore is very accessible, you actually don't need MMT/Thomas Cook.  

Edited by l33tmaniac
  • Thanks 1