The Travel Thread

MAK

4 minutes ago, North said:

Booked tickets for Singapore. Thank you for all the advice. I booked for 6 nights - and full days on either end. Will use the return day to explore Changi - flight is super late at night :) 

Can someone explain what the currency exchange, forex cards, and all that jazz works and what I should be doing? 

1. Using our cards while we're there, like normally swiping at restaurants etc? 

2. Withdrawing in SGD from ATMs when we're there? 

3. Carrying cash and exchanging it when we get to Singapore? Or do we just carry minimal amount and rely on card? 

4. Additional forex cards or something? 

Which cards do you have? Please list them as they might offer accelerated rewards which might make them worthwhile even if there is a forex charge.

Otherwise, open Niyo Global online account, get their forex card. It's basically a debit card and comes with 0 forex charge and best in class forex rates.

I would always recommend to convert and carry beforehand and keep ATM usage negligible. For hard currency, go to Bookmyforex, pay via Netbanking, get currency delivered to your home at the best rates.

Edited by KunjanPSD

3 hours ago, Bhpian Bali said:

Go to Bali. Place is much better, cheaper etc.

+1 for Bali. The whole trip costed me 85k for 2 people including flights and everything. I did all the tour myself without any guide or a booking agency. Lovely places, friendly people and cheap af.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, eddy4823 said:

+1 for Bali. The whole trip costed me 85k for 2 people including flights and everything. I did all the tour myself without any guide or a booking agency. Lovely places, friendly people and cheap af.

Bali for 85k fir 2 people? Seems very tempting. I see the cheapest return tickets are close to 60k for 2 people. Did you go before covid? I think they hiked it recently. 

59 minutes ago, North said:

Booked tickets for Singapore. Thank you for all the advice. I booked for 6 nights - and full days on either end. Will use the return day to explore Changi - flight is super late at night :) 

Can someone explain what the currency exchange, forex cards, and all that jazz works and what I should be doing? 

3. Carrying cash and exchanging it when we get to Singapore? Or do we just carry minimal amount and rely on card? 

For street shopping, and getting cheap electronics, cash works best (specially at Bugis). Of course, CCs would work at most places/eateries/malls. 

Avoid withdrawing cash at international ATMs as charges are high. Using cards isn't a problem, since Singapore payment system accepts touchless payment (tap and go). No need to swipe card (as long as your card supports it for international payments). 

Rest as Kunjan said. 

9 minutes ago, dante77 said:

Bali for 85k fir 2 people? Seems very tempting. I see the cheapest return tickets are close to 60k for 2 people. Did you go before covid? I think they hiked it recently. 

Actually from oct to nov onward their lean season starts as it is monsoon over there and being an island, monsoon = extremely heavy rains. During my trip it for some reason rained only at night. I went there in Jan 2018 i think and it cost me something similar. 50k flights for 2ppl by singapore airlines(they really feed you well). Hotels are available in all sorts of range. I dig deep and always find the cleanest place with good breakfast. the trick is to just book a good place that has refundable tariff and keep checking for deals regularly before your trip. Really good hotels drop the prices from time to time. Semanyak and Kuta are the best areas over there. Beer is cheap but hard drinks are very very expensive so bars are notorious for methanol poisoning so carry your quota from duty free. Otherwise make do with beer and arak (tharra) which is safe and available at good convenience stores. 

Edited by Bhpian Bali

1 hour ago, dante77 said:

Yes I went in 2018. Saw the flight prices and just left for Bali. Decided what to do on the spot itself. 

1 hour ago, Bhpian Bali said:

Actually from oct to nov onward their lean season starts as it is monsoon over there and being an island, monsoon = extremely heavy rains. During my trip it for some reason rained only at night. I went there in Jan 2018 i think and it cost me something similar. 50k flights for 2ppl by singapore airlines(they really feed you well). Hotels are available in all sorts of range. I dig deep and always find the cleanest place with good breakfast. the trick is to just book a good place that has refundable tariff and keep checking for deals regularly before your trip. Really good hotels drop the prices from time to time. Semanyak and Kuta are the best areas over there. Beer is cheap but hard drinks are very very expensive so bars are notorious for methanol poisoning so carry your quota from duty free. Otherwise make do with beer and arak (tharra) which is safe and available at good convenience stores. 

I didn’t stay in Kuta at all. I went to Nusa Penida on the 1st day and then stayed in Ubud for 2 nights. Also did the Mt. Batur trek. 

3 hours ago, KunjanPSD said:

Which cards do you have? Please list them as they might offer accelerated rewards which might make them worthwhile even if there is a forex charge.

Otherwise, open Niyo Global online account, get their forex card. It's basically a debit card and comes with 0 forex charge and best in class forex rates.

I would always recommend to convert and carry beforehand and keep ATM usage negligible. For hard currency, go to Bookmyforex, pay via Netbanking, get currency delivered to your home at the best rates.

Have HDFC's Regalia CC and the Infinia Debit I think, Axis's Vistara Signature, some other HDFC cards, SBI and stuff. Don't have Amex card. 

So for this Niyo Global thing - the only cost essentially is to get the card itself? Then I just load it up, and can tap it around without any charges? 

Will pre-pay for hotel with breakfast, its for the other meals that I'd be making payments so how much do you think I should be getting?

Isn't there a limit on how much foreign currency you can carry or something?

2 hours ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

For street shopping, and getting cheap electronics, cash works best (specially at Bugis). Of course, CCs would work at most places/eateries/malls. 

Avoid withdrawing cash at international ATMs as charges are high. Using cards isn't a problem, since Singapore payment system accepts touchless payment (tap and go). No need to swipe card (as long as your card supports it for international payments). 

Rest as Kunjan said. 

Right on. There is cheap electronics to be bought? Like what? 

And noted. Will avoid withdrawing from ATMs. Carry cash and get it converted, or swipe using cards everywhere. 

I'm not sure if all our cards support international payments, but they're HDFC and Axis cards - so I'm pretty sure its an option I can just toggle on to enable the same. 

2 hours ago, Bhpian Bali said:

There is a good chance of a Bali trip with my best friends - hoping to go right after New Years.

Flights are kind of expensive, 35K round trip - and that too with the cheapest carrier Vietjet. I checked some videos on youtube, seemed to be fine but would've liked to spend more money on the island itself.

There's gonna be 5/6 of us so we're probably looking to get a villa on airbnb, in Kuta/Seminyak. Party a lot. We're not super interested in the rice field and Ubud, just looking to enjoy beaches and some cliffside views. Nusa Penida is high on the list ofc, will do that at the end.

Will get the booze from the duty free, thank you for that. 

Just now, North said:

Right on. There is cheap electronics to be bought? Like what? 

Well, Apple stuff is cheaper (and others are costlier). You'll get better deals at local shops (cheaper than getting VAT return), specially if payment is cash. Even if you buy via Krisflyer etc, it's cheaper than India. 

Tons of shops selling toys, gaming stuff not available in India. 

Anime and secret figurine boxes are HUGE sells in Singapore ! Hundreds of shops, vending machines. 

Sim Lim can be decent for PC parts/general accessories. Cameras are costlier. 

9 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Well, Apple stuff is cheaper (and others are costlier). You'll get better deals at local shops (cheaper than getting VAT return), specially if payment is cash. Even if you buy via Krisflyer etc, it's cheaper than India. 

Tons of shops selling toys, gaming stuff not available in India. 

Anime and secret figurine boxes are HUGE sells in Singapore ! Hundreds of shops, vending machines. 

Sim Lim can be decent for PC parts/general accessories. Cameras are costlier. 

Okay. Interested in picking up a Macbook, but even more an Apple Watch if its cheaper. 

Will try and score some good items. Thanks again. 

3 hours ago, North said:

If you ask me, keep your cards for emergencies. Apply for US$ or SG$ directly from Bank here itself (Give the reason of tourism, and submit your travel details such as Tickets, Visa, hotel etc. to the bank). If you get US$ - then convert it either at the SG airport or in banks. You might need IDs/Passport while converting currency in SG (In most cases you do need ID while converting currency). But they give the best rates. I don't think any country allows you to convert from INR though. This will also allow you to budget effectively and keep track of expenses.

Credit Cards with International Transactions enabled will work. I'm not sure about Debit Cards usage directly. Forex Cards are not needed I think. See Bank Charges. Generally I didn't use Forex Cards when I travelled for tourism purposes/short stays.

2 hours ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Is this a good place to buy Apple stuff ? MacBook, iPhones are much cheaper than India. 

MBK Mall itself is like Weekend Market/Platinum Mall for electronics. There are floors dedicated for stuff (Like Floor 4 for electronics, Floor 6 for Video Games and Consoles etc.). There are a ton of small stalls all over the place selling stuff. How much you buy for depends on the stall you select and your negotiation ability. I've purchased numerous consoles there (Including Switch). These were genuine sealed pieces, that I got cheaper that what we get in India (No GST + Official Carry Limit/Person). I've not purchased Apple stuff though (Not an Apple User much). It's not a place for an Official Apple Gallery though (That would be the premium Paragon Mall)

Edited by roun90
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, North said:

Have HDFC's Regalia CC and the Infinia Debit I think, Axis's Vistara Signature, some other HDFC cards, SBI and stuff. Don't have Amex card. 

So for this Niyo Global thing - the only cost essentially is to get the card itself? Then I just load it up, and can tap it around without any charges? 

Will pre-pay for hotel with breakfast, its for the other meals that I'd be making payments so how much do you think I should be getting?

Isn't there a limit on how much foreign currency you can carry or something?

Debits won't help. Regalia won't help much either. Axis Vistara offers CV as points, not applicable.

Get Niyo. There aren't any charges. Open an account with minimum 5k and you get the card. Use the account balance abroad just like you use any other debit card.

There is no limit as such, you can always add extra and then transfer the money back to your main bank account once you are back from the trip.

Their ATM withdrawal charges are also the lowest but then again, carry currency beforehand, only use ATM when absolutely needed.

Also keep in mind, whenever you are using any card abroad, be it online/POS/atm, always choose "Pay in local currency" and "Withdraw without conversion". No matter what shows up on the ATM screen or POS.

Plenty of traps out there.

Keep your CCs only as backup.

Call HDFC Customer and activate Global value program on Regalia. Offers 1% extra reward upto 1L spends per month. Fees is 200/year but you can make that up if you use it enough. Although you wouldn't need to with Niyo.

20 minutes ago, North said:

Just now, LordSpymaster said:

Does Niyo allow payments in any currency, or do we have to pre select them for specific trips? Say if someone were to travel to USA+Canada+Mexico? 

Multi currency, no need to pre-select.

Niyo also offers you a currency converter to check.

• Thanks 1

This Niyo thing sounds neat. If there aren't any charges, might as well get one. May be more travels up ahead. 

The only issue is that I don't gain points on my spending right? Well thats alright I don't plan to spend a lot of money anyway - hotels and flights being pre-booked using credit card and thats the majority cost anyway. Thanks @KunjanPSD

28 minutes ago, North said:

This Niyo thing sounds neat. If there aren't any charges, might as well get one. May be more travels up ahead. 

The only issue is that I don't gain points on my spending right? Well thats alright I don't plan to spend a lot of money anyway - hotels and flights being pre-booked using credit card and thats the majority cost anyway. Thanks @KunjanPSD

You won't gain any points but with the cards you have mentioned, you lose all the points gained to forex markup & transaction charges. Regalia will be borderline beneficial. Hence, Niyo is best for you.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, North said:

10 minutes ago, KunjanPSD said:

You won't gain any points but with the cards you have mentioned, you lose all the points gained to forex markup & transaction charges. Regalia will be borderline beneficial. Hence, Niyo is best for you.

Also go through Niyo community btw. Lots of challenges with customer care, cards not working, fraudulent transaction reversals etc. 

TBF, I don't prefer to use anything else except AMEX during international visits. The forex charges are high (and you can use other cards in case the swipe is at highly reputable places, decreasing forex charges), but CC is top notch, and any fraudulent transaction reported will be taken into consideration extremely quickly. 

Excellent peace of mind. 

Just now, Bird Bird Bird said:

Also go through Niyo community btw. Lots of challenges with customer care, cards not working, fraudulent transaction reversals etc. 

TBF, I don't prefer to use anything else except AMEX during international visits. The forex charges are high (and you can use other cards in case the swipe is at highly reputable places, decreasing forex charges), but CC is top notch, and any fraudulent transaction reported will be taken into consideration extremely quickly. 

Excellent peace of mind. 

I have gone through the same. But many people in my circle have used Niyo and none of them had any issues.

There were definite issues when they first started, not so much now.

Obviously if you want CC support, then nothing beats CITI/Amex.