The Travel Thread

MAK

On 11/4/2022 at 12:16 PM, North said:

Hey guys. Going to Ooty for a short 4-5 day trip tomorrow. 

Flying into Coimatore airport. How do I get a car from there to my hotel in Ooty?

Does Uber work there? Or if anyone has been, what should be the cost of dropoff if other car service is there at the airport?

I called my hotel, they charge 3500/- to for a pickup from the airport (all taxes included)

Appreciate any help, thank you!

Ola outstation shows 2100 Rs for Coimbatore airport to Ooty. You should be able to find other taxi services outside the airport too. 

On 11/4/2022 at 12:16 PM, North said:

Hey guys. Going to Ooty for a short 4-5 day trip tomorrow. 

Flying into Coimatore airport. How do I get a car from there to my hotel in Ooty?

Does Uber work there? Or if anyone has been, what should be the cost of dropoff if other car service is there at the airport?

I called my hotel, they charge 3500/- to for a pickup from the airport (all taxes included)

Appreciate any help, thank you!

The hotel cab will be much safer and convenient, even if its a bit expensive.

Is there any good medication for motion sickness/vomiting when travelling to mountains? 

I don't have car sickness much as I can travel as far as I can, be it 500-800 or more kms on straight road and I won't feel a thing BUT the moment the round shaky mountain roads start, I start getting dizzy and I just can't focus on anything. It stays for quite a lot of time too, at least until I get a proper sleep or something. My entire hill trip is usually screwed because of this. 

I have been to many hilly areas and now am afraid to go to places like this and these cover major tourist and some of the most beautiful areas. 

Any good strong medication that I can take or any other hefty hacks that I use?

Edited by dante77

5 hours ago, dante77 said:

Is there any good medication for motion sickness/vomiting when travelling to mountains? 

I don't have car sickness much as I can travel as far as I can, be it 500-800 or more kms on straight road and I won't feel a thing BUT the moment the round shaky mountain roads start, I start getting dizzy and I just can't focus on anything. It stays for quite a lot of time too, at least until I get a proper sleep or something. My entire hill trip is usually screwed because of this. 

I have been to many hilly areas and now am afraid to go to places like this and these cover major tourist and some of the most beautiful areas. 

Any good strong medication that I can take or any other hefty hacks that I use?

Drive slow, keep your windows open and take regular breaks. This will help.

My wife takes medication for this, however, it is an Rx product. So my suggestion would be to consult a doctor before taking Rx drug without consultation.

19 minutes ago, TheMonark said:

Drive slow, keep your windows open and take regular breaks. This will help.

My wife takes medication for this, however, it is an Rx product. So my suggestion would be to consult a doctor before taking Rx drug without consultation.

Thanks. Does it totally help your wife? Like she doesn't throw up at all or it reduces the effect? 

I am ok with reduced effect as long as it as helps me with reach the destination in good mood. Can you tell me which specific medicine you buy!? 

14 hours ago, dante77 said:

Thanks. Does it totally help your wife? Like she doesn't throw up at all or it reduces the effect? 

I am ok with reduced effect as long as it as helps me with reach the destination in good mood. Can you tell me which specific medicine you buy!? 

Yes, it reduces the effect and makes it bearable. I am not comfortable sharing Rx medicine on a public forum. Also, each medicine has their own interactions and exceptions. So, better to consult a physician.

Edited by TheMonark
  • Like 1

Hi Guys, Due to this damn Covid, we haven't taken a proper trip for last 3 years except for the trips my wife and I had taken for work. Would like to go somewhere in December and can you guys suggest a place in India? We will be taking my 2 year old son and he very sensitive to cold climate so any place pleasant enough but not so cold climate is fine. Do help me with your suggestions.

29 minutes ago, b!T said:

Hi Guys, Due to this damn Covid, we haven't taken a proper trip for last 3 years except for the trips my wife and I had taken for work. Would like to go somewhere in December and can you guys suggest a place in India? We will be taking my 2 year old son and he very sensitive to cold climate so any place pleasant enough but not so cold climate is fine. Do help me with your suggestions.

I don't know where you're based out of, but Bandipur is really good in Dec. Temps range from 17-28 degrees, and while there's a perceptible chill in the air, it's not like the hill stations. I'll recommend The Serai if you go there. +2 days of stay if you love solitude and nature, else 2 days are enough. 

Also Dec to Feb is tiger mating season, so easier to spot one. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

I don't know where you're based out of, but Bandipur is really good in Dec. Temps range from 17-28 degrees, and while there's a perceptible chill in the air, it's not like the hill stations. I'll recommend The Serai if you go there. +2 days of stay if you love solitude and nature, else 2 days are enough. 

Also Dec to Feb is tiger mating season, so easier to spot one. 

I am based out of Kochi, Kerala. I will check around about Bandipur. yeah, those temps are fine. Thanks man.

10 hours ago, dante77 said:

What are some good peaceful near sea resort in Goa? In budget? 

Check Chalston beach resort, I generally always stay there, it’s on beach, and in between Baga and calangute so generally peaceful.

chalstoningoa.com

18 minutes ago, AtheK said:

Check Chalston beach resort, I generally always stay there, it’s on beach, and in between Baga and calangute so generally peaceful.

chalstoningoa.com

Baga Calangute and peaceful in the same sentence? Oxymoron. :rofl:

Look at South Goa, panty. 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Baga Calangute and peaceful in the same sentence? Oxymoron. :rofl:

Look at South Goa, panty. 

Peaceful in that area ??

South Goa obviously is best for chilled vacation, palolem beach :wub:

Just now, AtheK said:

Peaceful in that area ??

South Goa obviously is best for chilled vacation, palolem beach :wub:

We stayed at Turtle beach few years ago. Just epic silence. Tents just next to the beach, soft light, no loud music etc. 

Had an awesome time. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

We stayed at Turtle beach few years ago. Just epic silence. Tents just next to the beach, soft light, no loud music etc. 

Had an awesome time. 

We just had an awesome vacation at Malpe booked a 5 bhk villa right on beach, was amazing time. Malpe beach was 5 mins walk, and all water sports were on, great option if not looking for partying and pushing.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, AtheK said:

We just had an awesome vacation at Malpe booked a 5 bhk villa right on beach, was amazing time. Malpe beach was 5 mins walk, and all water sports were on, great option if not looking for partying and pushing.

Airbnb ? Link ?

12 hours ago, dante77 said:

What are some good peaceful near sea resort in Goa? In budget? 

There's this resort by Sterling Resorts near Varca beach. 3 mins walk to pristine and lovely beach, peace and quiet galore. 

It should be more pocket friendly as well, compared to most of the other resorts in the area (like Zuri White Sands)

Highly recommend staying here, even the walk to the beach is a delight. 

• Like 1