The Travel Thread

MAK

4 minutes ago, North said:

There's this resort by Sterling Resorts near Varca beach. 3 mins walk to pristine and lovely beach, peace and quiet galore. 

It should be more pocket friendly as well, compared to most of the other resorts in the area (like Zuri White Sands)

Highly recommend staying here, even the walk to the beach is a delight. 

Zuri is overpriced rubbish. Their beach isn't the most well maintained, and everything closes by 8 pm (but so do most South Goa beaches affiliated with hotels). 

We had 3 corporate meetings at Zuri. Huge property, but I'll look elsewhere tbh for the price they charge. 

2 hours ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Zuri is overpriced rubbish. Their beach isn't the most well maintained, and everything closes by 8 pm (but so do most South Goa beaches affiliated with hotels). 

We had 3 corporate meetings at Zuri. Huge property, but I'll look elsewhere tbh for the price they charge. 

I see. We stay next door, we have a timeshare membership with Sterling Holidays. Their resort is right next to Zuri, and their pricing is much more pocket friendly even without the membership.

There is a Club Mahindra also right next to it, with a private stretch of the beach. I haven't stayed, but I've had a tour a couple years ago and it looked like a piece of heaven. 

Will be way cheaper, and way better than Zuri. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, North said:

I see. We stay next door, we have a timeshare membership with Sterling Holidays. Their resort is right next to Zuri, and their pricing is much more pocket friendly even without the membership.

There is a Club Mahindra also right next to it, with a private stretch of the beach. I haven't stayed, but I've had a tour a couple years ago and it looked like a piece of heaven. 

Will be way cheaper, and way better than Zuri. 

I would rate Turtle beach as sort of a pinnacle for silent beaches at Goa. They have mandatory rules around no light or noise pollution around the beach, and the resorts/hotels have to obey. 

Most foreigners enjoy the lonely sun, while we used to go during evenings. There's a huge canopy of trees next to the beach, best for lazying around when the sun is high, but breeze is cool. 

It's such a heaven that wifey and me went NOWHERE the 4 nights we stayed there. Excellent food, superb beach and surroundings. Tents right to beach, sleep while hearing the waves. Heavenly. 

Zuri is good if someone wants to enjoy white sand. But you can't sleep at the beach etc. The charm is lost the moment you're inside your room. 

Edited by Bird Bird Bird

37 minutes ago, dylanjosh said:

Sahi hai! Was this a family trip? 

Indeed. Earlier this month. Landed at Coimbatore, had a car for the entire duration. 

Stayed in Ooty, but explored a fair few sits outside Ooty - day trips, and those were fantastic.

12 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

I would rate Turtle beach as sort of a pinnacle for silent beaches at Goa. They have mandatory rules around no light or noise pollution around the beach, and the resorts/hotels have to obey. 

Most foreigners enjoy the lonely sun, while we used to go during evenings. There's a huge canopy of trees next to the beach, best for lazying around when the sun is high, but breeze is cool. 

It's such a heaven that wifey and me went NOWHERE the 4 nights we stayed there. Excellent food, superb beach and surroundings. Tents right to beach, sleep while hearing the waves. Heavenly. 

Zuri is good if someone wants to enjoy white sand. But you can't sleep at the beach etc. The charm is lost the moment you're inside your room. 

Where did you stay? For Turtle Beach?

and yes, well said. Hence, better to just enjoy the white sand beach but stay at a different property, instead of Zuri. 

Yes. South Goa is what I am thinking. Don't want party and crowd. I have 5-6 leaves left that will get lapsed this year, so planning for Goa. Hill stations, don't have the courage right now. 

Since I have already been to Dubai in June this year. Need something cheap :fear1:

Thanks for the suggestion guys. @AtheKGonna look for palolem Beach.

---------

Airbnb guys, how do you guys manage food and cleaning utensils and stuff? Most importantly breakfast!? 

53 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

This is exactly what I want this time. Usually our trips include lot of walking and staying up early and explore. Need one lazy vacation. Besides I don't think there is much to do there but will see.

How much is this? The resorts near turtle beach? 

2 hours ago, North said:

Indeed. Earlier this month. Landed at Coimbatore, had a car for the entire duration. 

Stayed in Ooty, but explored a fair few sits outside Ooty - day trips, and those were fantastic.

Where did you stay? For Turtle Beach?

and yes, well said. Hence, better to just enjoy the white sand beach but stay at a different property, instead of Zuri. 

1 hour ago, dante77 said:

This is exactly what I want this time. Usually our trips include lot of walking and staying up early and explore. Need one lazy vacation. Besides I don't think there is much to do there but will see.

How much is this? The resorts near turtle beach? 

We stayed at Cassoi by Ciarans. Pre pandemic, it was 5500 or so per night for AC tent (glamping). 

Their food was heavenly, and the tents are right in front of the beach. 

Some pics here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/ye3UrdbJqC8qoheR7

Edit: Do remember this is NOT a resort. It's glamping near the beach. If you wanna swim, you better be prepared to go to the ocean. 

Edited by Bird Bird Bird
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, eddy4823 said:

Came back from Vietnam 3 days ago. It was  a 10 day trip and had super amazing food, balance of urban and rural sights. Here are some pics 

https://imgur.com/a/p6954Qw

Vietjet promotion ? Everybody seems to be going to Vietnam ! 

I'm even afraid to ask - how does a vegetarian family survive there ?

3 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Vietjet promotion ? Everybody seems to be going to Vietnam ! 

I'm even afraid to ask - how does a vegetarian family survive there ?

I dont know about Vietjet promotion. I just went to the site and booked the tickets.

You can't survive if you're a vegetarian. Unless you can afford to spend big chunk of your money on Indian restaurants where one meal costs like 700- 1000 rs per person. In some cities, there are no Indian restaurants. Language is a big barrier in Central and South Vietnam. Even Google Translate didn't help as taxi drivers and locals can't even read Vietnamese. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, eddy4823 said:

I dont know about Vietjet promotion. I just went to the site and booked the tickets.

You can't survive if you're a vegetarian. Unless you can afford to spend big chunk of your money on Indian restaurants where one meal costs like 700- 1000 rs per person. In some cities, there are no Indian restaurants. Language is a big barrier in Central and South Vietnam. Even Google Translate didn't help as taxi drivers and locals can't even read Vietnamese. 

Well, f**k. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Well, f**k. 

There's a dish called Ban Mi which is kinda sandwich. Costs 30 rs and is available everywhere. But good luck because you will have to put effort to explain that you don't want any non veg stuff in it. and yeah, there's nothing spicy there. So carry chilli sauce with you. Mcdonalds/KFC are there but again, you have to explain that you are a vegetarian.

3 minutes ago, eddy4823 said:

There's a dish called Ban Mi which is kinda sandwich. Costs 30 rs and is available everywhere. But good luck because you will have to put effort to explain that you don't want any non veg stuff in it. and yeah, there's nothing spicy there. So carry chilli sauce with you. Mcdonalds/KFC are there but again, you have to explain that you are a vegetarian.

I've a tough time explaining in Thailand and Malaysia. Vietnam will be a long game of dumb charades ! 

Even Burger King has now stopped serving veg in most Asian countries. The only stuff I see is vegetarian beef patty, which tastes gross to put it mildly. 

McD in most Asian countries don't carry veg at all. 

In Bangkok currently, and there's no veg except hash browns and cold drinks at any QSRs. 

2 minutes ago, Sach4life said:

Vietnam is a phenomenal place. Highly recommended for vacation. Do note, go there for at least 10 days to experience it properly. 

Idea acha hai. I'll go, not eat anything, lose 20 kgs and come back. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Sach4life said:

Vietnam is a phenomenal place. Highly recommended for vacation. Do note, go there for at least 10 days to experience it properly. 

I regret going to Da Lat and skipping bike tour to Ha Giang Loops or Sapa Valley. Anyone who is adventurous should visit these places.