The Travel Thread

MAK

2 hours ago, eddy4823 said:

Came back from Vietnam 3 days ago. It was  a 10 day trip and had super amazing food, balance of urban and rural sights. Here are some pics 

https://imgur.com/a/p6954Qw

How costly is the whole trip for 2 for 10 days? I heard Vietnam is cheap. Vietnam and Uzbekistan are two cheap places in my list but I have only read they are cheap, reality can be different. 

3 hours ago, eddy4823 said:

I regret going to Da Lat and skipping bike tour to Ha Giang Loops or Sapa Valley. Anyone who is adventurous should visit these places.

We did go on a bike trip. It was an awesome experience.

2 hours ago, dante77 said:

How costly is the whole trip for 2 for 10 days? I heard Vietnam is cheap. Vietnam and Uzbekistan are two cheap places in my list but I have only read they are cheap, reality can be different. 

I went for 11-12 days with my friends in 2019 and we spent decently. Its not like we skimmed on anything. Per person cost was around 70-75k

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dante77 said:

it costed us 1.25 lac for 2. (Flight Stay Food shopping travel insurance everything included)

3 minutes ago, Banz said:

That sounds cheap. What hotels did you stay at?

Hanoi - It was Dragon Pearl which costed 1600 per night.

Da Nang - An apartment which costed me 800 rs per night. (Most value for money since it was an apartment with room service 24x7)
ninh Binh - a homestay 950 rs per night.
Da Lat - a hotel which was again 1000 rs per night.

Ho Chi Minh- Trang An Hotel. (1300 rs per night)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, eddy4823 said:

Hanoi - It was Dragon Pearl which costed 1600 per night.

Da Nang - An apartment which costed me 800 rs per night. (Most value for money since it was an apartment with room service 24x7)
ninh Binh - a homestay 950 rs per night.
Da Lat - a hotel which was again 1000 rs per night.

Ho Chi Minh- Trang An Hotel. (1300 rs per night)

Itna sasta to humare Lucknow me OYO nahi milta :O

• Haha 2

On 11/23/2022 at 2:43 PM, eddy4823 said:

I dont know about Vietjet promotion. I just went to the site and booked the tickets.

Planning a trip with college friends early Jan. Did you fly with Vietjet then? Their fares are the lowest by far, but having never flown with them a little skepticism.

Can't do 10 days however, we only have like about 8 days or so. We're thinking of flying to Ho Chi Minh, work our way upwards via buses, go through Hoi An and Da Nang and stuff, do the Ha Long Bay excursion and then top it all off with a couple nights in Hanoi. 

What did you do for internal transport within Vietnam? 

15 minutes ago, North said:

Planning a trip with college friends early Jan. Did you fly with Vietjet then? Their fares are the lowest by far, but having never flown with them a little skepticism.

Can't do 10 days however, we only have like about 8 days or so. We're thinking of flying to Ho Chi Minh, work our way upwards via buses, go through Hoi An and Da Nang and stuff, do the Ha Long Bay excursion and then top it all off with a couple nights in Hanoi. 

Train trom Ninh Binh to Da Nang - 2000 rs (seat only) sleeper is costly

flights from any city - 1800 to 2500 (depending on how early or late you book)

I skipped Ha Long Bay because I found Ninh Binh less crowded and idea of staying on cruise is costly and boring. 

You can skip Da Lat completely. 

Take train from Ninh Binh to Da Nang. It’s tiring but views are worth it. Train drives adjacent to the sea. 

Yes we took Vietjetair. It’s economical and we didn’t take the extra luggage. It was a proper backpack trip with my wife. Vietjetair doesn’t even offer free water on board. 

Edited by eddy4823
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, North said:

Currently there is a black friday sale on Vietjet website.

I am traveling next week. Will do only areas near HCM, Hanoi and Phu Quoc. No detailed planning as of now. Will decide on the go.

Edited by TheMonark

42 minutes ago, LordSpymaster said:

Has anyone used airtel roaming packs for Europe? Also any recommendations for local travel SIMs for Europe? 

I have used Airtel pack several times and every time it has worked smoothly, except one time where it didn't work in one of the countries (Montenegro).

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
Just now, North said:

hey guys - heading to Vietnam for about 10 days on the 1st of January.

what travel insurance should I get? going with school friends, budget is overblown as is. 

@eddy4823 what did you do? 

All are basically the same, few hundred bucks here and there. But I would recommend to get something which includes baggage delay/lost, flight delay/cancellation because in current scenario, it can happen (do check deductibles and terms). I personally get Bajaj Alliance.

11 hours ago, North said:

hey guys - heading to Vietnam for about 10 days on the 1st of January.

what travel insurance should I get? going with school friends, budget is overblown as is. 

@eddy4823 what did you do? 

I went to policybazar and opted for the Care Explore policy. Costed me 553 rs per head. 

Vietnam is a fairly easy trip. Shouldn’t be expensive. 

Fun Fact : My CC hasn’t been charged yet for flights tickets. Don’t know what glitch this is. Booked on 10th October and travelling in November. 

Thanks to @AtheK and @Bird Bird Bird and others who commented about Goa. 

Stayed at South Goa Palolem Beach. Chose to stay at Beach hut instead of resort and chose sea facing hut. Absolutely amazing stay! A bit different than our rest as we mostly stayed at our hut. Palolem is absolutely amazing! It is perfectly crowdy and silent at the same time. Best place to go as a couple IMO. 

In the evening they put these chairs with dining table in front of sea on the beach which enhances the experience. In the day, all of them had great cafe/restaurant on their front of the property. The sea waves sound coming from the hit itself was so soothing! A perfect relaxing getaway! 

For anyone wanting to go for a relaxing holiday with wife. Please go stay on Palolem in South Goa. The place has amazing vibe!!! 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, dante77 said:

Stayed at South Goa Palolem Beach. Chose to stay at Beach hut instead of resort and chose sea facing hut. Absolutely amazing stay! A bit different than our rest as we mostly stayed at our hut. Palolem is absolutely amazing! It is perfectly crowdy and silent at the same time. Best place to go as a couple IMO. 

In the evening they put these chairs with dining table in front of sea on the beach which enhances the experience. In the day, all of them had great cafe/restaurant on their front of the property. The sea waves sound coming from the hit itself was so soothing! A perfect relaxing getaway! 

For anyone wanting to go for a relaxing holiday with wife. Please go stay on Palolem in South Goa. The place has amazing vibe!!! 

Glad you had fun, out of last 5 times in Goa I have stayed in south three times, it’s just peaceful as you said.

it also helps that south Goa comes first while driving/riding from Bangalore, saves you two hours travel time to north Goa.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dante77 said:

Excellent. Where did you stay ? Cassoi ?

7 hours ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Excellent. Where did you stay ? Cassoi ?

Nah. I don't think Cassoi has sea facing beach hut? Or might have been full, didn't show up on booking apps. I stayed at one those local beach huts, two actually. One is Rococo Pelton and second O3 Beach huts.

Both had bare minimum amenities but it was enough for us. Just a room enough to fill a bed with AC, small washroom and sea facing balcony!! 

It was around 4.5-5k per night which was a bit higher due to peak season. Pretty much all beach huts there are same. Rooms inside and on top and restaurant at base level. 

Surprisingly, Goa has no shortage of variety of food. Plenty of option for everyone and what you see on their menu is what you can get!