The Travel Thread

MAK

17 minutes ago, dante77 said:

Nah. I don't think Cassoi has sea facing beach hut? Or might have been full, didn't show up on booking apps. I stayed at one those local beach huts, two actually. One is Rococo Pelton and second O3 Beach huts.

Both had bare minimum amenities but it was enough for us. Just a room enough to fill a bed with AC, small washroom and sea facing balcony!! 

It was around 4.5-5k per night which was a bit higher due to peak season. Pretty much all beach huts there are same. Rooms inside and on top and restaurant at base level. 

Surprisingly, Goa has no shortage of variety of food. Plenty of option for everyone and what you see on their menu is what you can get!

Cassoi can be booked via there own site or WhatsApp. Their food is really good, and they do have beach huts at Palolem

• 4 weeks later...

Its been two weeks since I got back from Vietnam - so a little late for this post. 

I did have an amazing time with my friends, beautiful place, affordable and its so doable.

We went to Da Nang/Hoi An, Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh. Day excursions to Ba Na Hills, Ha Long Bay, Ninh Binh, Cu Chi Tunnels - and of course exploring the cities themselves. 

We had no problems with regard to travel on Vietjet airlines, all in one backpack. I had planned the trip meticulously so didn't have any hiccups whatsoever.

Including a picture of Ha Long Bay - a scene straight out of Uncharted 4. Magical experience. 

img%5D

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, North said:

Its been two weeks since I got back from Vietnam - so a little late for this post. 

I did have an amazing time with my friends, beautiful place, affordable and its so doable.

We went to Da Nang/Hoi An, Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh. Day excursions to Ba Na Hills, Ha Long Bay, Ninh Binh, Cu Chi Tunnels - and of course exploring the cities themselves. 

We had no problems with regard to travel on Vietjet airlines, all in one backpack. I had planned the trip meticulously so didn't have any hiccups whatsoever.

Including a picture of Ha Long Bay - a scene straight out of Uncharted 4. Magical experience. 

img%5D

Vietnam is lovely. Would love to visit again. I so wanna go to Ha Giang loops.

Edited by eddy4823

6 minutes ago, eddy4823 said:

Vietnam is lovely. Would love to visit again. I so wanna go to Ha Giang loops.

Indeed, I would too. Its def a motorbike experience, and while me and my friends rode around scooters in the city we're def not experienced enough for that one - but hopefully one day. 

Looking forward to the next adventure. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys - I have my eyes on europe this semester. I don't have confirmed dates yet but I'm working on it. 

Essentially I'm looking to go to europe for a bit after graduation and before work actually begins. 

Will be doing this solo, and will make it cheap with budget airlines, public transport, hostel stays etc. But budget is flexible as this may be the last chance in a while for me and I'd like to see AS much as possible.

1. How do I do this? I apply for a Schengen visa - to either the country of my entry or the one I plan to spend the most time in. 

Hotels I can book cancellable ones as proof via booking.com but do I NEED flight bookings to apply for a visa?

2. Also, if I intend on travelling last week of May/first week of June - is there enough time for visa approval?

3. When I went to Singapore, I got a visa until 2025. I'd like as long as possible for schengen as well for flexibility. I'm not 100% sure about my travel dates just yet but want to get visa process started. Should I apply for a month long visa from 15 May to 15 June, and then just travel the 10-12 days when I make my bookings later?

Would appreciate any advice.

As far as the actual travel - want to see more nature less cathedrals and hopefully some train travel. Have a plan in mind but appreciate tips. 

Just now, hazard12345 said:

You will have to be more specific than just europe, before you apply.

I mean yes I know the countries I'm interested in travelling to. 

But I can change my plans if I have the visa, I'm free to travel around as I feel within the schengen region right. But as of now I do I need flight tickets to apply or? 

6 minutes ago, North said:

I mean yes I know the countries I'm interested in travelling to. 

But I can change my plans if I have the visa, I'm free to travel around as I feel within the schengen region right. But as of now I do I need flight tickets to apply or? 

not sure about the latest regulations, but you need a start and end point (when it comes to country). Would be better if you plan quickly and logically, as prices in summer are sky high for everything.

5 minutes ago, hazard12345 said:

not sure about the latest regulations, but you need a start and end point (when it comes to country). Would be better if you plan quickly and logically, as prices in summer are sky high for everything.

I have a route in mind, including entry and exit point. Will book flights accordingly but I can apply for visa right now? say for a month and then book flights later?

I need some flexibility as of now. 

2 minutes ago, North said:

I have a route in mind, including entry and exit point. Will book flights accordingly but I can apply for visa right now? say for a month and then book flights later?

I would recommend reading the official rules and procedures, and what appointment dates are you getting.

Some of my friends are travelling to Spain in May and their visas are still in progress.

3 minutes ago, North said:

You need to apply for visa from a country where you are going to stay the longest during your trip.

If you are going to visit multiple countries for the same amount of time then you need to apply visa from the country which will be your port of entry.

You need booked tickets and hotels.

Schengen is notorious for giving tight Visas, you might only get the visa for the dates you have booked tickets for. Maybe a week or so more. Varies a lot.

Better to be sure about your dates.

Afaik it comes to appointments, depends on which country you are applying for. Some have decent availability while most are brutal, you will need to apply asap.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, KunjanPSD said:

You need to apply for visa from a country where you are going to stay the longest during your trip.

If you are going to visit multiple countries for the same amount of time then you need to apply visa from the country which will be your port of entry.

You need booked tickets and hotels.

Schengen is notorious for giving tight Visas, you might only get the visa for the dates you have booked tickets for. Maybe a week or so more. Varies a lot.

Better to be sure about your dates.

Afaik it comes to appointments, depends on which country you are applying for. Some have decent availability while most are brutal, you will need to apply asap.

Okay thats troublesome. If I have to book flight tix and somehow the visa gets rejected I'm totally screwed no? 

I just got some more info on dates this morning. Not super concrete but better than before. Roughly free from 27th May - 11th June. Looking at a 2 week trip.

Hotels are cancellable so I can change it around. Flights (at least budget ones I intend on taking) are not. I essentially want to get the visa process started so I have it in time. 

35 minutes ago, North said:

Okay thats troublesome. If I have to book flight tix and somehow the visa gets rejected I'm totally screwed no? 

I just got some more info on dates this morning. Not super concrete but better than before. Roughly free from 27th May - 11th June. Looking at a 2 week trip.

Hotels are cancellable so I can change it around. Flights (at least budget ones I intend on taking) are not. I essentially want to get the visa process started so I have it in time. 

Refundable tickets are there but more pricey. Ideally, Visa shouldn't be rejected when the case is genuine, so I think you are good to go. Some local agents are able to book temporary tickets, maybe if you can find one.

You will have to compromise a bit.

@Root What did you end up doing for tickets/hotels for Schengen visa?

Edited by KunjanPSD

41 minutes ago, North said:

Also the visa you'll be granted for only the duration of the itinerary you provide to them

On 2/17/2023 at 11:40 PM, North said:

Get a travel agent to book dummy flight tickets for visa purpose. They shouldn’t charge more than 1k. Booking.com for refundable hotel bookings. If your dates aren’t fixed, create a bigger itinerary that surely includes your date range. 
Eg if you’re looking at June 10-20, create a refundable itinerary from June 1 - 30. 
You must be sure of one country you’re going to visit, use that as longest stay in itinerary, apply to that consulate.
Include all documents as mentioned on VFS website. 

5 hours ago, achilles said:

On another note, guys, a trip to Japan is coming up. Any pointers, experiences, ideas, etc?

get me an omega watch and Shoei Helmet, baki tu dekh le!

:P

• Haha 2