The Travel Thread

MAK

We wanted to go to bhutan a few months back but after some enquiry by my friend revealed that you cannot go there "as tourists" per se.. You cannot just pack your bags and move around is what i am trying to say. The tourism is apparently government controlled. Maybe it has changed now.

We wanted to go to bhutan a few months back but after some enquiry by my friend revealed that you cannot go there "as tourists" per se.. You cannot just pack your bags and move around is what i am trying to say. The tourism is apparently government controlled. Maybe it has changed now.

I actually went to Bhutan couple of years ago in and our travel was exactly like you mentioned, "pack the bags and went". I visited my uncle who is a senior police officer in Bengal and he took us along; a few hours' drive and BAM ! foreign country.

Awesome place that. We stayed there for the whole day, tried some food at the local government rest house shopped around (though there was nothing much to shop, am not really interested in ethnic crafts unless really good) and visited the monasteries (?). Very beautiful and peaceful.

Feels almost surreal that its a place so close to india and yet looks so different.

I actually went to Bhutan couple of years ago in and our travel was exactly like you mentioned, "pack the bags and went". I visited my uncle who is a senior police officer in Bengal and he took us along; a few hours' drive and BAM ! foreign country.

Awesome place that. We stayed there for the whole day, tried some food at the local government rest house shopped around (though there was nothing much to shop, am not really interested in ethnic crafts unless really good) and visited the monasteries (?). Very beautiful and peaceful.

Feels almost surreal that its a place so close to india and yet looks so different.

Ah, so the guy was not lying. I thought he was lying so that we could go to manali and get high. We did end up going high but not in manali :|

^^

i am not sure about the lying or its intricacies but Indian nationals can travel to Bhutan w/o restrictions as long as you have your identification card, DL perhaps ? says so in wiki too.

By a long standing treaty, Indian and Bhutanese citizens may travel to each other's countries without a passport or visa using their national identity cards instead.

Edited by Nemo

Where where where?

My visa stamps this year were Hong Kong, China and Abu Dhabi and Egypt. No money left to go anywhere else :lol: and no time either.

Not until, hopefully, the US next year.

This year I travelled to Singapore, Goa, Cochin, Hongkong and Macau already!! I was about to spend my Newyear Eve in Newyork (Yup Got 10years US Visa!! :dance: ) but plan dropped, will travel next year in Spring now..

As for Newyear.. I am visiting this Country and It's gonna be a hell lotta fun... And nope.. I am not telling it now on IVG.. :censored:

This year I travelled to Singapore, Goa, Cochin, Hongkong and Macau already!! I was about to spend my Newyear Eve in Newyork (Yup Got 10years US Visa!! :dance: ) but plan dropped, will travel next year in Spring now..

As for Newyear.. I am visiting this Country and It's gonna be a hell lotta fun... And nope.. I am not telling it now on IVG.. :censored:

the 10 year visa is only for travel or you can go and work there also??

What I mneant to say that you cannot backpack your way through bhutan. and that is what we guys wanted to do

ahh. that cleared it up. Bhutan are a very closed country and very serious about protecting their heritage and stuff. maybe that could be a reason ? seems far fetched but then again, they allowed TV in 1997.. so.

Anyhoo, if you look for backpacking, why not try Laddakh OR remote NE indian hills, the seven sisters ? Even Uttrakhand is a bitching awesome place if you are willing to look beyond the known (and very crowded) spots of nanital, masoori, haldwani etc. I have traveled Uttrakhand quite a lot, some consciously some not so (me dad was posted in that region when i was 0-2 years old) have photos of toddler me as far as near china border sporting a mean monkey cap B)

trust me, these remote (and very beautiful) places in indian hill stations are no less than what we see on firangi movies. One just have to have a will to explore :good:

Any tips for New York? I will be there next week. Don't want to be the typical tourist. So if you have been there and done something different, please share.

You could check out the Sapphire Club. Lots to see there :naughty: It's on east 60th street next to the Queensboro Bridge. Or there's the Penthouse Executive Club in Manhattan if you're one of those high rollers.

You asked for "something different" :fear:

Is that a gentleman's club? Was practically swarmed with those last week in Las Vegas. Had agents swarming all over the place soliciting on the street offering us free-entry, free booze and free limo pick-up and drop. When we declined, one guy kept walking behind us shouting at the top of his lungs, "I am offering you free booze, blondes and limo, Indians are the shrewdest business men...". We are were literally laughing our gus out along with rest of the people on the street. One of the girls there was like, "OMG! How can you say no to an offer like that?!".

What I was looking for is stuff that a New Yorker would do on a Christmas eve, maybe like some nice Christmas party somewhere.