The Travel Thread

MAK

Is that a gentleman's club? Was practically swarmed with those last week in Las Vegas. Had agents swarming all over the place soliciting on the street offering us free-entry, free booze and free limo pick-up and drop. When we declined, one guy kept walking behind us shouting at the top of his lungs, "I am offering you free booze, blondes and limo, Indians are the shrewdest business men...". We are were literally laughing our gus out along with rest of the people on the street. One of the girls there was like, "OMG! How can you say no to an offer like that?!".

What I was looking for is stuff that a New Yorker would do on a Christmas eve, maybe like some nice Christmas party somewhere.

Yes it is. Both in fact. The latter being one of the highest-end in NY.

Yeah this sounds like what I faced in Thailand (except you gotta add a lot of "sawadee kha"s into the equation).. a lot. . .especially in Pattaya. They didn't seem to mind that I was only 20 when I went there :lol:

@infinity: Thanks but you listed the common haunts mobbed bu tourists. I want to do something different there. Infact will be skipping Liberty Island entirely and maybe even Empire State. I have my eyes on Chinatown and Little Italy. Besides that, eat all the street food that I can get in NY. Maybe do a river-cruise. If they offer Segeway tours in NY, I will do that as well.

Any ideas like these?

ahh. that cleared it up. Bhutan are a very closed country and very serious about protecting their heritage and stuff. maybe that could be a reason ? seems far fetched but then again, they allowed TV in 1997.. so.

Anyhoo, if you look for backpacking, why not try Laddakh OR remote NE indian hills, the seven sisters ? Even Uttrakhand is a bitching awesome place if you are willing to look beyond the known (and very crowded) spots of nanital, masoori, haldwani etc. I have traveled Uttrakhand quite a lot, some consciously some not so (me dad was posted in that region when i was 0-2 years old) have photos of toddler me as far as near china border sporting a mean monkey cap B)

trust me, these remote (and very beautiful) places in indian hill stations are no less than what we see on firangi movies. One just have to have a will to explore :good:

+ 1 hav doin the kedar round for 3 yrs and still not tired

Edit if any one is on for jungle tours and safari

gorumara in WB is a way to go totalyy filled with animals like elephant cheetahs etc

Edited by Vip3r

@infinity: Thanks but you listed the common haunts mobbed bu tourists. I want to do something different there. Infact will be skipping Liberty Island entirely and maybe even Empire State. I have my eyes on Chinatown and Little Italy. Besides that, eat all the street food that I can get in NY. Maybe do a river-cruise. If they offer Segeway tours in NY, I will do that as well.

Any ideas like these?

Lol!! I donno how u r gonna pass time if u don't visit such places. U can check some new York guide/websites for some locations I guess. They might even have info abt stuff happening at times square. Its a lively place n nxt week is christmas time.so u. Can get some good discounts at major stores.be sure to chk it out

An open bus tour is also one option.

Playstation & Killzone: Not bangladesh and Not Afganisthan.. SOme place Nice, Warm and Fun.. More like a Traveller's best kept secret :bigyellowgrin:

Nemo: I agree, there are places in India which can give Alps a run for it's money.. I would love to visit Uttaranchal next year.. Infact espacially this place called Auli. Missed a date with the Snow God this year..but come 2011 , And I'll sure go and kiss some snow covered mountains..!!

http://www.holidayiq.com/destinations/Auli-Overview.html

Any tips for New York? I will be there next week. Don't want to be the typical tourist. So if you have been there and done something different, please share.

New York itself is not a very touristy place. You can ice skate at 30 Rock, pig out on dining options or go clubbing. Visit the Pier 17 shopping center. Usually something cool going on there or walk down Broadway and take in a show. The new Spiderman musical should be out by now.

Whenever I go to New York, I take the chance to walk around a part of the city that I've havent had a chance to before. I enjoyed my walks around Wall Street and the WTC. Imposing architecture on the structures there.

If you wanna see how the rich and famous live, check out the Hamptons. Its not in New York itself and is about and hour and half or so's drive away.

You could also take the train from Penn Station and head to Edison in New Jersey. Welcome to Little India.

^^

MT was supposed to take me to Newyork this Newyear to show me all that he wrote above.. but he ditched..So the crying :cry:

:

:

:

J/k :tongue:

Actually, I was supposed to spend the Newyears even in NY and for some reason the plan got cancelled.. So all these NY gyan is making me so miserable.. I could have been there yaar! Missed :doh:

I need to be at the Le Meridien.

I wanted to travel by train but then the availability is an issue now. I can take the Kingfisher flight via Bangalor or Chennai.

Traveling by train,you will have to try Thatkall but in flight there are many Hyderabad-Cochin direct flights.you can get spice jet for a cheaper fare.

and just let Le Meridien people know of the time and date of when you are landing on Cochin,AFAIK they will send you a pick up car.so its all easy from there.