The Travel Thread

MAK

On 2/6/2021 at 7:12 PM, kunjanp said:

2020 was supposed to be a family trip to Australia while 2021 was with friends, place wasn't decided but we were thinking about Japan. 

I wouldn't even mind going on a trip alone though. I intend to travel a lot in coming years.

13 hours ago, Chirag2001 said:

Yeah, going solo would be fun but after this whole covid thing I'm a bit skeptical.

Will go with more people first, though I hope to solo travel a bit soon after this whole thing blows over. 

Going solo sounds fun at first but I feel it is suited to people who are very active (lazy me) and enthusiastic to explore every nook and corner. I went on a three country solo trip (Austria, Montenegro and Turkey), a few months before Covid outbreak. The trip felt good for first 4-5 days but then I felt I was missing the family/friends fun. By the end of second week, I was a bit bored. The only thing that felt exciting was trying out food and cuisines. Overall, it was an enjoyable trip and learned a lot of many new things but would have enjoyed more if I had a company of at least one person. This is quite subjective but may not be relevant to anyone. 

On the same note, I wanted to go to Japan and Korea but the availability of vegetarian food was a challenge (as per discussion with my co-workers and friends). I did not want to spend 4 hours a day hunting for vegetarian food. So, felt it was not suited for solo trip.

8 minutes ago, TheMonark said:

Going solo sounds fun at first but I feel it is suited to people who are very active (lazy me) and enthusiastic to explore every nook and corner. I went on a three country solo trip (Austria, Montenegro and Turkey), a few months before Covid outbreak. The trip felt good for first 4-5 days but then I felt I was missing the family/friends fun. By the end of second week, I was a bit bored. The only thing that felt exciting was trying out food and cuisines. Overall, it was an enjoyable trip and learned a lot of many new things but would have enjoyed more if I had a company of at least one person. This is quite subjective but may not be relevant to anyone. 

On the same note, I wanted to go to Japan and Korea but the availability of vegetarian food was a challenge (as per discussion with my co-workers and friends). I did not want to spend 4 hours a day hunting for vegetarian food. So, felt it was not suited for solo trip.

Absolutely, solo trip isn't for everyone. 

I have kinda done that before and I loved it but I do engage with people, be it other tourists or locals. I actually ended up going out with a few people to local places to explore.

But I can't do that with every trip, once in a while. Otherwise maybe someone from family or friends.

A couple of my friends live in Japan and acc. to them you can get veg. food but don't expect Chole Bhature or some pasta everyday. 

I actually like going to a place with some foreign language, it's not ideal but it feels great to learn the language a bit and communicate.

I will for sure ping you for details about your trip once travel starts again, whenever that is.

Anyone recently been to Goa have any contact details for car rentals?

Tried looking online but all the websites are charging atleast 5k deposit. Also, unsure which ones are actually safe and reliable!

On 1/16/2020 at 11:45 PM, Chirag2001 said:

Does somebody here live in Australia or visit frequently?

Thinking of taking a trip, Singapore(3N)>>Australia(Sydney+Melbourne). I think it sounds good, but wanna know how feasible it is.

Don't wish to take a package tour, unless its super value for money. I haven't been abroad before, so any and all tips appreciated.

(Also any idea how much money I'd be saving per person if I opt to fix this myself over a package tour?) 

Also: I need 3 nights in Sydney, with 1 day for regular exploration, and I plan to spend 1 day with a friend who goes to Univ. of Sydney. 

Don't know about Aus but went to Singapore a few years back. It's hella expensive. Make sure you get the local transport card beforehand, cabs are expensive. The transport card, I think it's called MTS, can't remember clearly, works for both the metro and the public bus. Not sure which hotel you'll be in but many offer the guests a phone with internet and calling functionality in every room, so if possible book one with that. Gonna come very handy for using Gmaps etc. Prepare for a lot of walking to change trains!

Had gone for 3N as well iirc and covered most of the tourist spots. Can try to look for my itinerary if interested, although not sure where it is.

Gardens by the bay was pretty, but if anyone feels cold easily like me, keep a jacket handy. Inside it was quiet cold. But it was raining outside so not sure if it was because of that. Had gone around May-end. 

Other places I visited was China town, little India (imo no need to go, nothing special), Marina bay (didn't go in though :P), sentosa island, night safari, acquarium and I think also the zoo. Night safari is amazing, go as late as possible! Also, there was some fire show there as well before entering the zoo so don't miss out!

3 minutes ago, Lazyboy8134 said:

Tried looking online but all the websites are charging atleast 5k deposit. Also, unsure which ones are actually safe and reliable!

Don't know about Aus but went to Singapore a few years back. It's hella expensive. Make sure you get the local transport card beforehand, cabs are expensive. The transport card, I think it's called MTS, can't remember clearly, works for both the metro and the public bus. Not sure which hotel you'll be in but many offer the guests a phone with internet and calling functionality in every room, so if possible book one with that. Gonna come very handy for using Gmaps etc. Prepare for a lot of walking to change trains!

Had gone for 3N as well iirc and covered most of the tourist spots. Can try to look for my itinerary if interested, although not sure where it is.

Gardens by the bay was pretty, but if anyone feels cold easily like me, keep a jacket handy. Inside it was quiet cold. But it was raining outside so not sure if it was because of that. Had gone around May-end. 

Other places I visited was China town, little India (imo no need to go, nothing special), Marina bay (didn't go in though :P), sentosa island, night safari, acquarium and I think also the zoo. Night safari is amazing, go as late as possible! Also, there was some fire show there as well before entering the zoo so don't miss out!

I've been to Goa before, and have rented bikes/scooters from just shops which have vehicles parked outside. I've been to Goa multiple times, and I've never booked a vehicle online.

I appreciate the tips, will keep it all in mind. I do like using local transport, so will get the card. Unfortunately, a lot of walking doesn't make Singapore very family friendly tbh, but I look forward to visiting with friends.

Will ask you if I need more specific details. Either way, doesn't look possible this summer as I don't think borders will open up :( 

1 hour ago, Chirag2001 said:

I've been to Goa before, and have rented bikes/scooters from just shops which have vehicles parked outside. I've been to Goa multiple times, and I've never booked a vehicle online.

I appreciate the tips, will keep it all in mind. I do like using local transport, so will get the card. Unfortunately, a lot of walking doesn't make Singapore very family friendly tbh, but I look forward to visiting with friends.

Will ask you if I need more specific details. Either way, doesn't look possible this summer as I don't think borders will open up :( 

Singapore is pretty good. And as @Lazyboy8134 said, cabs are hella expensive.

But if you are going with your family then it's manageable, can easily fit 3 or 4 in a cab, so the cost doesn't pinch. 

I personally used to take the metro. I actually prefer it too even in Delhi, just a walking person. So that didn't feel tiring to me.

It's a proper tourist place, 3-4 days and you can cover just about everything.

On 2/6/2021 at 4:36 PM, kunjanp said:

I think best case scenario will be 2021 Christmas season. I don't see countries changing their policies any sooner.

Regarding safety, well, gotta wait and see.

What places to visit in Dubai?

3 hours ago, Lazyboy8134 said:

3 hours ago, Chirag2001 said:

Singapore is one of my all time fav places. Good thing is our regional office is there, so yearly ritual for the last 5 years except 2020. 

As lazyboy said, you need to walk, walk and walk some more, specially in areas like Zoo (day zoo, river safari and night Safari, all next to each other). Sentosa is also a lot of walking, so is Gardens by the Bay. 

But goddamn what a beautiful country. Nicely maintained. All tourist spots are worth a visit. Excellent metro/bus system (one card for both). 

Hotels are f**king expensive, so get an Airbnb. Bigger rooms, cheaper prices. Also buy all tourist tickets online, you'll get decent discounts. Spot tickets are expensive, and generally have a queue. 

It's just one of the places which always makes me happy. 

The other is Sikkim (outside of Gangtok). 

Singapore is one of my all time fav places. Good thing is our regional office is there, so yearly ritual for the last 5 years except 2020. 
As lazyboy said, you need to walk, walk and walk some more, specially in areas like Zoo (day zoo, river safari and night Safari, all next to each other). Sentosa is also a lot of walking, so is Gardens by the Bay. 
But goddamn what a beautiful country. Nicely maintained. All tourist spots are worth a visit. Excellent metro/bus system (one card for both). 
Hotels are f**king expensive, so get an Airbnb. Bigger rooms, cheaper prices. Also buy all tourist tickets online, you'll get decent discounts. Spot tickets are expensive, and generally have a queue. 
Nice post. Might consider Singapore this year. I always thought Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand are just the same. I've been to Bali and that was amazing. Specially Nusa Penida Island.

and Sikkim. Boy what a place. If everyone on this planet takes cleanliness as seriously as people in Sikkim, There would be no global warming. The attitude of everyone there is damn aggressive if you break any rule regarding plastic ban.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, eddy4823 said:

Nice post. Might consider Singapore this year. I always thought Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand are just the same. I've been to Bali and that was amazing. Specially Nusa Penida Island.

and Sikkim. Boy what a place. If everyone on this planet takes cleanliness as seriously as people in Sikkim, There would be no global warming. The attitude of everyone there is damn aggressive if you break any rule regarding plastic ban.

Totally agree on Sikkim, except maybe people in Gangtok. But it's unavoidable if you want to go to Lachen/Lachung. 

I was there 3 years back during the Red Panda festival - the sheer variety of locally made wines was insane. Both wifey and me were drunk just tasting all of them. 

Areas outside of Gangtok are real beauty though. We enjoyed Pelling the most. Just goddamn beautiful ! 

And epic food. We are vegetarians, and the vegetables are so different in taste than what you get in cities. Mandatory organic farming. 

Singapore is pretty different than Thailand or Malaysia. In Thailand, most peeps are out to loot you. We were a bunch of office colleagues some years back there, and got fleeced twice in a single day ! Plus many areas are pretty dirty. 

Malaysia is OKish. Enjoyed Langkawi quite a bit. Clean, great boat rides, scuba etc. Food is a challenge for vegetarians, but it's a duty free island, so alcohol and chocolates are cheaper than water. 

Nevertheless, all are close by. So you can take a 2-3 week break and do a South East Asia tour. 

I don't think any of these places will compare to Bali. That's on a different level. 

I don't think any of these places will compare to Bali. That's on a different level. 

I was considering Vietnam for 1st week of April in 2020. 25k for flights return included for 2 people. I chose Bali for the same reason. Cheap hotels and flights ended up costing me 80k for 2 people for a 7 day trip.

2 hours ago, kunjanp said:

Singapore is pretty good. And as @Lazyboy8134 said, cabs are hella expensive.

But if you are going with your family then it's manageable, can easily fit 3 or 4 in a cab, so the cost doesn't pinch. 

I personally used to take the metro. I actually prefer it too even in Delhi, just a walking person. So that didn't feel tiring to me.

It's a proper tourist place, 3-4 days and you can cover just about everything.

I enjoy walking a lot. Its one of my favourite activities. I love exploring a new place walking around. I do like the metro in Delhi too, its fun.

No cabs for me, thank you.

Walking isn't a problem for me, I do 20K steps every day. Idk if my mom can manage that much exertion, but maybe I'll go with friends.

Its just difficult to convince friends to go on a trip abroad (even without this covid business). Might go alone, who knows? :) 

40 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Love Sikkim too. Thanks a ton for the info. Don't know when I'll get to go, but now I'm hyped lol. Love walking, love metro, love Singapore videos on youtube, will keep all this in mind.

PS5, Series X cancel, ab Singapore jayenge lol

2 minutes ago, eddy4823 said:

I was considering Vietnam for 1st week of April in 2020. 25k for flights return included for 2 people. I chose Bali for the same reason. Cheap hotels and flights ended up costing me 80k for 2 people for a 7 day trip.

Man, that's not bad for Bali. Singapore will not be that cheap. 

We did not go for any boat tours etc, just usual tourist places like all the 3 zoos, Sentosa, Gardens by the Bay etc, and spent about 80k for 4 days. This is including Airbnb, food, tickets etc. 

Also, Changi Airport is TITS. I will highly highly recommend getting their at least 6-7 hours earlier, and going through ALL terminals. 

You'll find Butterfly garden, Sunflower Garden, Koi fish, Orchid area, massive waterfall, magical raindrops and God knows what else at the airport. Heck, there are movie theatres in the airport. All free, and all works of art. 

It's just a beautiful place to spend your time. 

• Like 1

I usually travel within Delhi like once a month, my family loves taking trips lol. COVID screwed this big time.

Haven't been on any trips for months, heading to Jaipur later this month (my mom has a meeting so my dad and I get to goof around). I've been tons of times, but just excited to leave the house for a week.

Going to Rishikesh early March, if anybody has any hidden gems or cool things to recommend, do tell. Parents have been, but its my first time going there. 

1 hour ago, Snake said:

What places to visit in Dubai?

Dubai isn't as touristy as Singapore. Their main attractions are their huge malls, seriously, they are massive. Shopping isn't cheap, most of the things like clothes etc are more expensive as compared to India. 

But the malls do have a charm especially Dubai Mall, the fountain show is a must see, specifically at night. The Burj Khalifa is right outside and it glows, the whole thing is a spectacle.

Then you have your theme parks like Legoland, Islands of Adventure and places like Miracle Garden, Aquarium etc. These are nice places.

You can go across Dubai Creek and explor Deira, very good and classic Dubai Market. Bur Dubai is also worth a visit. These are basically places you will explore.

But here is what I recommend, explore Deira and Bur (will take you a day) in the morning then take some rest and go to the malls and check out the fountain.

You will find plenty of eateries to try.

Then schedule the days acc. to the different theme parks etc you want to visit.

But take a ride to Abu Dhabi and visit Ferrari World, there is nothing like it. YAS island is amazing.

You can spend more days going around malls, there is plenty to see. Go on desert safari once, mandatory experience.

But every night go to JBR, that place is 1.5-2km stretch and is damn amazing. Great aura, right around the beach, hit the local breweries and pubs. Go to cheesecake factory and later spend time on the beach, such a great feeling.

And don't forget to visit The Irish Village and The Belgian Beer Cafe. These are two of the best cafes out there.

Dubai is more about going to these places rather than walking and exploring.

Also, it's a dry country. You will find booze only in designated cafes or bars in 5 stars but those aren't exorbitantly priced, so if you partake then buy your alcohol at the airport.

Also, voice and video doesn't work there unless you use and pay for their native BOTIM app.

All in all, great place but in terms of exploration, Singapore is better.

• Thanks 1

Singapore feels like a foreign country, thailand feels just like India. Unt you are out for boom boom massage. 

Loved Singapore, beautiful city. Dubai is just to get wowed by seeing the money spent, you will feel like a peasant. Plus everything is so artificial, but at a grand level. 

25 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Man, that's not bad for Bali. Singapore will not be that cheap. 

We did not go for any boat tours etc, just usual tourist places like all the 3 zoos, Sentosa, Gardens by the Bay etc, and spent about 80k for 4 days. This is including Airbnb, food, tickets etc. 

Also, Changi Airport is TITS. I will highly highly recommend getting their at least 6-7 hours earlier, and going through ALL terminals. 

You'll find Butterfly garden, Sunflower Garden, Koi fish, Orchid area, massive waterfall, magical raindrops and God knows what else at the airport. Heck, there are movie theatres in the airport. All free, and all works of art. 

It's just a beautiful place to spend your time. 

Bali is really cheap but in Corona time, there have been various cases of people being swindled. Be aware and it will turn out great.

Thailand, as you said, people want to loot you. It's the only place where I have been where I will haggle with the cab guy to cut his price in half and then obviously the haggling which goes with electronics. But you can really have fun there, I mean Soi Cowboy is a must, great experience. Just need to be aware and you'll be good.

Now Singapore, place ain't cheap. Can easily cross 1L/person including stay and flights for 5 days if you want to do everything because nightlife is especially expensive. It's just what you have to deal with, I personally rented a cycle and was amazing experience.

And Changi, gosh, that place is next level. I purposely reached there 4hrs early, I thought they won't let me in because I was too early but they did. And I could have spent a lot more exploring that "airport".

16 minutes ago, kunjanp said:

+1 

I had it planned out for 2021. I get furious just thinking about this.

Let see how thing are by mid 2021. If not by then phir sidha 2022