The Travel Thread

MAK

3 hours ago, Sach4life said:

Thanks for sharing all this dude. I will be visiting Dubai for honeymoon for 7 nights between during 10-17 March. 2 nights in Atlantis and 5 nights in mainland Dubai.

Spend a couple of days in Abu Dhabi. Very under rated and much more organised than dubai. I spent a leisurely 5 days there and pretty much think that you can spend 3 days easily there.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Madmage said:

f**k Japan !! My visa got rejected. So don't get your hope high if you are a solo traveller or a couple of friends.

Aren't they under lockdown with no outside travel?

Guys, my friends are planning to go to Goa for 3 nights. It might be hot but I can't change that.

So I will really appreciate if people who have been there or live there can let me know of which place we should look for the hotels so that there isn't much commute.

And more importantly which places to visit like which beaches to go to at night, which pubs to visit (someone was raving about a local beer), where to go for must have food and if there are any less known gems to explore.

Please let me know. Thanks.

@Walker in case you have suggestions. 

Edited by kunjanp

23 minutes ago, kunjanp said:

Guys, my friends are planning to go to Goa for 3 nights. It might be hot but I can't change that.

So I will really appreciate if people who have been there or live there can let me know of which place we should look for the hotels so that there isn't much commute.

And more importantly which places to visit like which beaches to go to at night, which pubs to visit (someone was raving about a local beer), where to go for must have food and if there are any less known gems to explore.

Please let me know. Thanks.

Baga and calangute for the most touristy shacks and nightlife. Baga in particular towards the end with brittos which is always crowded but still awesome food. 

Book a taxi in advance (no prepay) for your airport pickup and drop. Taxis locally are horribly expensive. Calangute to Baga which is barely a sneeze away cost 800 bucks 5 yrs ago for me. 

Also if you're planning to buy drinks for the hotel stay or home, avoid the wine shop called Tito's. Everything was maddeningly expensive there compared to other places. There's a huge walk in liquor shop in calangute but i cannot recall the name. It's very popular for correct prices so maybe someone else can chime in. 

@Walker for local insight. 

If you do hone in on baga, this is an amazing property right on the beach. Only thing to be wary of is camper dogs in the bushes between the property and the beach front. Those batsards were past cod players. 

https://www.google.com/travel/hotels/s/rLLsR

Edited by Jigsaw
Update

56 minutes ago, Jigsaw said:

Baga and calangute for the most touristy shacks and nightlife. Baga in particular towards the end with brittos which is always crowded but still awesome food. 

Book a taxi in advance (no prepay) for your airport pickup and drop. Taxis locally are horribly expensive. Calangute to Baga which is barely a sneeze away cost 800 bucks 5 yrs ago for me. 

Also if you're planning to buy drinks for the hotel stay or home, avoid the wine shop called Tito's. Everything was maddeningly expensive there compared to other places. There's a huge walk in liquor shop in calangute but i cannot recall the name. It's very popular for correct prices so maybe someone else can chime in. 

@Walker for local insight. 

If you do hone in on baga, this is an amazing property right on the beach. Only thing to be wary of is camper dogs in the bushes between the property and the beach front. Those batsards were past cod players. 

https://www.google.com/travel/hotels/s/rLLsR

I was looking at Baga and Calangute only. Some of my friends recommended Arpora. 

I recommended these kind of properties only and even Airbnb kind of places but they have their minds set on hotels with breakfast etc. 

Let's see what more people have to say. Looking for walker's suggestions.

3 minutes ago, kunjanp said:

I was looking at Baga and Calangute only. Some of my friends recommended Arpora. 

I recommended these kind of properties only and even Airbnb kind of places but they have their minds set on hotels with breakfast etc. 

Check Little India if its available. Very good stay there. Its at Baga Beach.

Edited by hope

8 minutes ago, kunjanp said:

Also infanteria Cafe. It's a place you'll either love or hate but well worth a swing when in baga. 

If for some reason you guys narrow down on Calangute, this is another incredibly awesome place. Only problem is they are extremely anal about not letting you into your room before 12pm (learnt it the hard way by reaching at 7am) :lol:

Again right on the beach and the legendary Calamari Shack literally a fart away. 

https://www.google.com/travel/hotels/s/DBLpC

Edited by Jigsaw
Update

15 minutes ago, Jigsaw said:

Again right on the beach and the legendary Calamari Shack literally a fart away. 

Bhai mere dost toh are looking at something like Hyatt Centric. Ab jo unka mann, this trip took years to finalize, not gonna deter them in anyway.

Iska shack ka naam btao. Sab kuch bta do.

2 minutes ago, kunjanp said:

Bhai mere dost toh are looking at something like Hyatt Centric. Ab jo unka mann, this trip took years to finalize, not gonna deter them in anyway.

Iska shack ka naam btao. Sab kuch bta do.

Lol bro none of the big name 5 stars are anywhere close to the happening stuff. You either choose luxury or proximity to the beach. 

Just now, kunjanp said:

I told them this but kya kru. I will try to convince them.

Trust me bhai. I've learnt it the hard way many times. Yeh 5 start hifi places saale sab civilisation se milo durr hote hai. India ho ya videsh. Best bet is always to find a hotel right in the middle of all the fun stuff. 

4 minutes ago, Jigsaw said:

Trust me bhai. I've learnt it the hard way many times. Yeh 5 start hifi places saale sab civilisation se milo durr hote hai. India ho ya videsh. Best bet is always to find a hotel right in the middle of all the fun stuff. 

That's largely true and I know this especially for Goa. Our goals are to hit as many of the local food shops and local pubs, have a nice time at night near a beach with some music or gathering in the distance. And the proximity of these will decide our stay (be it Baga or Calangute), I am trying to make them understand. Till now I haven't found many places to visit.

2 minutes ago, kunjanp said:

That's largely true and I know this especially for Goa. Our goals are to hit as many of the local food shops and local pubs, have a nice time at night near a beach with some music or gathering in the distance. And the proximity of these will decide our stay (be it Baga or Calangute), I am trying to make them understand. Till now I haven't found many places to visit.

Np. I've done numerous trips to goa. You're atleast going in somewhat decent season I once went in absolute off-peak season in July when literally all the shacks at Calangute were closed :lol:

You'll have fun. 

6 minutes ago, Jigsaw said:

Np. I've done numerous trips to goa. You're atleast going in somewhat decent season I once went in absolute off-peak season in July when literally all the shacks at Calangute were closed :lol:

You'll have fun. 

During which months are the shacks closed? Because we are looking at March-end or April first week. Again, I told them to go right now but they are "busy" with "work". It's around Easter, so I guess there should be enough shacks and bustle around then?

Edited by kunjanp