Online Shopping : deals and discussion thread

Bird Bird Bird

the other order is not shipped yet...it is shipping end of may.

That may create problem for me in future deals with flipkart. I dont want to do that.

I called them reagarding a order and the helpline itself asked me to reject the order when it comes to my doorstep

Talk to them :)

Edited by abhinit90

the other order is not shipped yet...it is shipping end of may.

Tell the Customer Care Rep about your issue and have the order terminated or as has been suggested let the order come to you and reject it.

Seeing that you have such a long cushion before the product ships, I suggest that you cancel it now instead of unpleasantness later.

• 2 weeks later...

I want to ask something about my order.

Yesterday,i ordered a Sony Dualshock 3 controller from flipkart.I chose the cash at delivery option during checkout.But when i checked my orders,it showed two orders for DS3 whereaas i ordered only one.Other one was saying "Payment not received".And i am not able to cancel that second same order.I chose cash at delivery so there is no problem of double payment.Is there anything i can do?

• 2 weeks later...

If what this article states is true, which I doubt, but let us for a second take it on its face value. Flipkart has to be some kind of stupid to agree to minimum guarantees when your'e the pioneer. And they did have some pretty good..er.. goodwill in the marketplace going for them a couple of years back.

I really don't get the minimum guarantee model for someone who's testing the waters. This type of thing wasn't done before in India. So, why wasn't Flipkart adamant on no minimum guarantees? I mean, what sense did it make to give those guarantees when first of all the area is completely grey. The status of purchasing music digitally is worse than purchasing games in India.

The service did have its problems and wasn't my first choice as soon as the iTMS launched here but it was the first service here. That's ballsy.

Anyway, 2-3 cr. loss in the first year is paltry for a scale that FK would likely to have been going for. So that article is nonsense.

My guess is they figured out most of the purchases were coming from Mac/PC and iOS users, since obviously Android guys don't buy anything, and figured early enough that it wasn't upto them to compete with iTunes. For as much as they'd like to be, they're not Amazon. Not by a long shot.

Update: Just to clarify, it wasn’t the minimum guarantees that did it. While there actually shouldn’t be minimum guarantees for an a-la-carte pay-to-download service for music, Rs 5.5-6 crores is fairly small amount. When there is adequate monetization (mobile VAS), there are companies which pay in multiples of this amount to labels or their aggregators. The real issue was the lack of consumer uptake for a single track model, which many people we spoke with put down to lack of marketing spends. The company would have probably supported a loss making business with great consumer traction.

That said, while the people we spoke with at labels knew that Flyte was shutting down, within the company, it was quite sudden

Not sure if this update was there on medianama article when you guys read it. Clearly they closed it because lack of consumers. In my circle of friends and colleagues of over 25-30 people, only I bought songs from the store. And all of us have smartphones and enough money to buy legit songs. Majority people in India didn't buy into the idea of "buying" music.

They haven't exactly been honest in terms of market size, forecasts or their balance sheets.

Haven't heard that term in awhile :).

It's simple. Flipkart needs content from music companies like Sony, Universal, T-Series etc. In order to get their music they need to give a certain amount of cash upfront known as minimum guarantee. They weren't able to recoup costs.

so they fudged their numbers to show an inflated market and huge consumer base and then went ahead and agreed to pay substantian gurantee to music companies. is that right ?

is not this a new kind of self owning Fail ?

also if you show a big consumer base, should not you be in a position to negotiate a lesser gurantee payment upfront ? i dont know retail business principles but common sense says this.

i get why they are shutting the music stores but still unclear as to how it is related to any number fudging done by them ?

Edited by Nemo