Online Shopping : deals and discussion thread

Bird Bird Bird

See there is always a sale or more. Great Indian Festival and Diwali Sale matters. Anything in-between doesn't.
I am glued to this thread waiting for you to post some insane deals considering BBD is like the only genuine sale of the year. All the others are fake sales. [emoji14]

Sent from my ASUS_I001DE using Tapatalk

22 minutes ago, GunnerY2J said:

Better to buy from local shops.

Even if you tell them amazon has at this much, they ll offer slightly better prices.

And the sale items aren't fresh piece. 

Agreed, better to get all this from local shops, they are pretty aggressive these days, also I have found reliance digital to be extremely aggressive. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AtheK said:

Agreed, better to get all this from local shops, they are pretty aggressive these days, also I have found reliance digital to be extremely aggressive. 

Yeah. RD is one of the best shops right now. We generally found best prices and good salesmen there as compared to Croma. 

Btw, any offers running on Hotstar Premium ? My sub is about to expire. Connections I currently have are Airtel BB and postpaid, Jiofiber. But the later only provides VIP access, not premium. 

20 minutes ago, adity said:

You can just let it stand and it'll probably renew for 1k a year. I personally got grandfathered couple of months back. Still shows 999/year.

Hmmm. Will wait. My last payment was using FK coupon (via Supercoin).

My experience has always been the reverse. They tell me that the online product is fake and that I won't get warranty. Hence you have to buy our overpriced stuff to ensure you get real product with warranty. This is why I have completely stopped buying from stores.

2 minutes ago, i_rock098 said:

My experience has always been the reverse. They tell me that the online product is fake and that I won't get warranty. Hence you have to buy our overpriced stuff to ensure you get real product with warranty. This is why I have completely stopped buying from stores.

Same experience here, btw "you won't get warranty" is a meme, by now pretty much all big tech brands have official presence on FK/Amazon.

Eventually these chain stores will lose business with all this drama about " you won't get warranty online" etc etc, the customer is smart.

Try getting a 55 inch C9/CX for 1.2l online.  I'll wait. 

For bigger purchases from well known brands, always found retail to be cheaper.
High end TV's is the only weird exception to this rule. It's not even consistent across all TV's. Budget TV's are again cheaper online compared to offline.

Apart from TV all others like microwave, washing machine , laptop, air fryer, router, AC, mobile literally any appliance you consider is usually more expensive at retail store. And i am saying this out of experience in a metro city. Can't even imagine how bad it is in tier 2 or 3 city.

Also could be possible that with shop rent being cheaper in bangalore, Delhi they can possibly match the prices. In Mumbai the rents are crazy high, no way can they match the online prices.

Same experience here, btw "you won't get warranty" is a meme, by now pretty much all big tech brands have official presence on FK/Amazon.
Eventually these chain stores will lose business with all this drama about " you won't get warranty online" etc etc, the customer is smart.
Exactly this. Its sad that they stoop to scare tactics to sell their products.

Not always true in the "scaring customers from buying online" regard.

The Croma I go to (Logix Noida, @Bird Bird Bird try there, should be close enough to your place) actually offers price matching with Amazon, though they did it only because the seller was Appario retail.

Furthermore, they also have some sort of cashback tie up with a bank running at all times, as they've offered extra discounts if I pay with HSBC or Axis in the past. 

Maybe because Croma also has an online store, and they don't wanna sound like hypocrites. Either way, bigger chain stores should be competitively priced, and gives you the option to negotiate if you have the skills.  You get to test out the product right there and then, and be a happy customer as you put it into your car and take it home. 

Edited by Chirag2001

6 minutes ago, i_rock098 said:

High end TV's is the only weird exception to this rule. It's not even consistent across all TV's. Budget TV's are again cheaper online compared to offline.

Apart from TV all others like microwave, washing machine , laptop, air fryer, router, AC, mobile literally any appliance you consider is usually more expensive at retail store. And i am saying this out of experience in a metro city. Can't even imagine how bad it is in tier 2 or 3 city.

Also could be possible that with shop rent being cheaper in bangalore, Delhi they can possibly match the prices. In Mumbai the rents are crazy high, no way can they match the online prices. Exactly this. Its sad that they stoop to scare tactics to sell their products.

We got a 600 litre fridge Samsung fridge a couple of years back from Reliance Digital. On delivery, we noticed that the vegetable tray was broken. A phone call to the shop, and we had a Samsung guy with a new tray within 2 days. 

I really won't buy anything super expensive (except a tablet or a phone) online. With things that might need some immediate help or warranty, local stores like RD and Croma will help you get things done easily. 

For other appliances like washing machine, air fryer etc, no doubt online is the way to go. 

36 minutes ago, i_rock098 said:

Well in that case you can always buy one, but my preferred channel still stays offline when it comes to big appliances. Then again, I got a dishwasher from amazon at 36k, when local guy was not ready to budge on Mrp. This is more due to high demand and limited supply, even all online shops had it at 40k, just that Amazon dropped the price for a bit, and I was at the right place at right time.

Warranty thing is bullshit. 

Edited by AtheK

Just now, Chirag2001 said:

Not always true in the "scaring customers from buying online" regard.

The Croma I go to (Logix Noida, @Bird Bird Bird try there, should be close enough to your place) actually offers price matching with Amazon, though they did it only because the seller was Appario retail.

Furthermore, they also have some sort of cashback tie up with a bank running at all times, as they've offered extra discounts if I pay with HSBC or Axis in the past. 

Maybe because Croma also has an online store, and they don't wanna sound like hypocrites. Either way, bigger chain stores should be competitively priced, and gives you the option to negotiate if you have the skills. 

It's a stone's throw away from my place. The RD in Logix is actually pretty good. Got my fridge and OLED from them. Croma was quoting a much higher price. 

RD guys sealed the deal with offers even when I was thinking twice about spending that much. 

Just now, Bird Bird Bird said:

It's a stone's throw away from my place. The RD in Logix is actually pretty good. Got my fridge and OLED from them. Croma was quoting a much higher price. 

RD guys sealed the deal with offers even when I was thinking twice about spending that much. 

I had a different experience, as I went to both stores one after the other in one evening- 

1. I was buying a camera, both places had roughly the same price, while Amazon was cheaper by 3K. 

2. RD told me that Amazon isn't reliable enough, and exchange will be a ton of hassle, so I'm better off paying 3K extra and getting it from them. Not interested in shaving the price tag and instead tried to convince me why 3K extra was worth it. 

3. Told 'em Croma quoted me Amazon Pricing (hadn't been there yet, but this is the oldest trick in the book). Came down to same price. Told RD to hold on the price for an hour.

4. Went to Croma next, and told them RD was quoting me Amazon price. They said its not a problem anyway, if the seller is Appario retail, they'd price match.

5. It was, and they did. Asked 'em why I should buy from them, not RD, so they told me I can get another 5% off with Axis Bank CC. Told them Amazon would do the same with an ICICI car (which I don't actually have yet, gonna try KYC tomorrow). Came down another grand, and 5% on top of that with my Axis card. 

Didn't like RD's bullshit about why they're a safe bet and all that jazz. Went home happy. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, adity said:

Where can I learn this power? 

Pretty sure its genetic. Although I was lucky; they'd never give that kind of discount if they didn't have room for it.

They always have room for discounts, you need to press them for it though. If you're buying a ton of stuff, it'll make it easier. 

They're more inclined when you're spending more money. 

1 hour ago, Chirag2001 said:

I had a different experience, as I went to both stores one after the other in one evening- 

1. I was buying a camera, both places had roughly the same price, while Amazon was cheaper by 3K. 

2. RD told me that Amazon isn't reliable enough, and exchange will be a ton of hassle, so I'm better off paying 3K extra and getting it from them. Not interested in shaving the price tag and instead tried to convince me why 3K extra was worth it. 

3. Told 'em Croma quoted me Amazon Pricing (hadn't been there yet, but this is the oldest trick in the book). Came down to same price. Told RD to hold on the price for an hour.

4. Went to Croma next, and told them RD was quoting me Amazon price. They said its not a problem anyway, if the seller is Appario retail, they'd price match.

5. It was, and they did. Asked 'em why I should buy from them, not RD, so they told me I can get another 5% off with Axis Bank CC. Told them Amazon would do the same with an ICICI car (which I don't actually have yet, gonna try KYC tomorrow). Came down another grand, and 5% on top of that with my Axis card. 

Didn't like RD's bullshit about why they're a safe bet and all that jazz. Went home happy. 

Had the opposite for my TV. 

I was eyeing the C8, so not something cheap, but I tried 2 Cromas - Logix and DLF MOI, and both were too busy to show a 1.5 lacs OLED to a prospective customer. Didn't even listen to us properly. The DLF one is 3rd class. We waited for 20 minutes, and nobody bothered to discuss the TV. 

RD was drastically different. They offered the discount themselves, and when I was on the fence, sweetened the deal with extra Bajaj Finserv offer (guy spent like 15 minutes working out maximum savings for all my cards). I remember he worked it out pretty efficiently - paid 5k down payment via Citi to get 2k cashback, paid 3 months Bajaj EMI down payment via HDFC to get extra 2k CB, and the Bajaj EMI netted me another 10k cashback. 

The Bajaj guy then called me up later saying the CB is 20k, not 10k, and hence the TV ended up costing 1.04l only. 

The overall experience was good enough to push us to buy our fridge and a couple of other items from them. 

1 hour ago, Chirag2001 said:

I was eyeing the C8, so not something cheap, but I tried 2 Cromas - Logix and DLF MOI, and both were too busy to show a 1.5 lacs OLED to a prospective customer. Didn't even listen to us properly. The DLF one is 3rd class. We waited for 20 minutes, and nobody bothered to discuss the TV. 

RD was drastically different. They offered the discount themselves, and when I was on the fence, sweetened the deal with extra Bajaj Finserv offer (guy spent like 15 minutes working out maximum savings for all my cards). I remember he worked it out pretty efficiently - paid 5k down payment via Citi to get 2k cashback, paid 3 months Bajaj EMI down payment via HDFC to get extra 2k CB, and the Bajaj EMI netted me another 10k cashback. 

The Bajaj guy then called me up later saying the CB is 20k, not 10k, and hence the TV ended up costing 1.04l only. 

The overall experience was good enough to push us to buy our fridge and a couple of other items from them. 

9 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

You need to tell me this guy's name and exact RD outlet. I have CITI, HDFC cards. Around Diwali if CX is for anything close to that, I will go to Noida instead of my nearest story and pick it up.

5 minutes ago, kunjanp said:

You need to tell me this guy's name and exact RD outlet. I have CITI, HDFC cards. Around Diwali if CX is for anything close to that, I will go to Noida instead of my nearest story and pick it up.

I don't have his number, but this was RD @ Logix Mall. 2 years back.