Online Shopping : deals and discussion thread

Bird Bird Bird

9 hours ago, North said:

I'm on Axis CC, but haven't had this issue before, so not very sure. 

I order books on basically a weekly basis and I do it all through Amazon. Customer service is top notch.

I'm finicky about books, and I got one with the corner mushed. Amazon sent a replacement next day, no complaints.

Thanks for informing, will avoid this site. Also avoid ChapterOne online bookstore.

They're also horrible, TOOK 10 months to deliver 2 books. 

Bookswagon is a book seller on Amazon as well. Had ordered some light novels from them in the past. Was able to get it (Though since Light Novels are almost always imported, they take some time to arrive).

On 7/1/2021 at 11:33 PM, l33tmaniac said:

MX Master 3 and a Keychron K2 hotswap for wife's work setup.

MX Master 3 for my setup, still hunting for another keyboard.

IMG-20210630-210942.jpg

4fb3672a-98b8-4bb7-bc3b-abde41bc852c.jpg

Where'd you get the Mx master from? Amazon or is it available cheaper somewhere else?

27 minutes ago, Lazyboy8134 said:

Where'd you get the Mx master from? Amazon or is it available cheaper somewhere else?

Amazon with 10% off using Citi card. Got it for around 7k

2 hours ago, DinJo said:

They are very lazy and customer service is sh*t but they get books which no other gets just call them directly and speak to the lady

It only matters if they can deliver, right ? Currently they haven't shipped, marked it as shipped, and I'm running into a wall. 

36 minutes ago, roun90 said:

Bookswagon is a book seller on Amazon as well. Had ordered some light novels from them in the past. Was able to get it (Though since Light Novels are almost always imported, they take some time to arrive).

Try calling them. They'll ask you which online store have you bought from - Amazon or BW, and will transfer you to the respective CC. Basically they've different CC for Amazon vs their own site. They pretty much can't f**k up at Amazon, whereas we are at their mercy when it comes to their own site. 

The price difference between Amazon and their own site are generally about 15-20% on imported books. 

9 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

It only matters if they can deliver, right ? Currently they haven't shipped, marked it as shipped, and I'm running into a wall. 

Try calling them. They'll ask you which online store have you bought from - Amazon or BW, and will transfer you to the respective CC. Basically they've different CC for Amazon vs their own site. They pretty much can't f**k up at Amazon, whereas we are at their mercy when it comes to their own site. 

The price difference between Amazon and their own site are generally about 15-20% on imported books. 

The thing about imported books on Amazon - there are tons of sellers. Competition cuts off price gouging. You can always juggle between Atlantic Book Distributers (IMO the best imported book supplier in Amazon), Peacock Books, Bookswagon and more. I would generally avoid direct sites of these suppliers. Even if I have to pay more, at least I'm reasonably sure 100% of money spent will not go to waste on non-delivery.

Edited by roun90

35 minutes ago, roun90 said:

The thing about imported books on Amazon - there are tons of sellers. Competition cuts off price gouging. You can always juggle between Atlantic Book Distributers (IMO the best imported book supplier in Amazon), Peacock Books, Bookswagon and more. I would generally avoid direct sites of these suppliers. Even if I have to pay more, at least I'm reasonably sure 100% of money spent will not go to waste on non-delivery.

And still Amazon prices are crazy high unfortunately. 

Look up Factory Summers by Guy Delisle. It's about 2k on Amazon. BW charged 1241 INR. A difference of 800 bucks ! 

That's almost a 3rd of purchase price for Amazon. 

Some good news: after the INGRAM grievance registration, the book has magically been handed over to Delhivery late night yesterday. :pulpfiction:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, roun90 said:

Yes, but because it is through amazon, grievance resolution is lightning fast.

1 hour ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

If you buy imported books frequently, BookDepository is a good option. The prices won't be any cheaper, but they have literally everything in whatever edition and cover and hardback/paperback.

Plus free international shipping, they're essentially a subsidiary of Amazon US for books. Always worth a look. 

- Amazon Sellers I get books from: Cloudtail, Bookswagon, Peacock, Sunrise, Atlantic, U-Read, to name a few. Never had any trouble, but I order solely through amazon's website itself. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, North said:

Yes, but because it is through amazon, grievance resolution is lightning fast.

If you buy imported books frequently, BookDepository is a good option. The prices won't be any cheaper, but they have literally everything in whatever edition and cover and hardback/paperback.

Plus free international shipping, they're essentially a subsidiary of Amazon US for books. Always worth a look. 

- Amazon Sellers I get books from: Cloudtail, Bookswagon, Peacock, Sunrise, Atlantic, U-Read, to name a few. Never had any trouble, but I order solely through amazon's website itself. 

I also used to order from Amazon, but the price difference was too much to swallow. 2k vs 1.2k, and since BW was listed as an Amazon seller, didn't really think much. 

I hope this is something one off because BW does offer custom print books as well (as in on demand printing of limited run books - depends on publisher). And the import book cost differential is quite high compared to Amazon. 

Yeah the price difference is way too much on bookswagon I have been purchasing some board books they are almost 70% less than Amazon price listing and almost all arr imported ones. Book depository is compartively very expensive. 

The one issue which would have happened is they don't keep there website upto date and they might not have the book that's why I always call them before placing any order for expensive book 

8 minutes ago, DinJo said:

Yeah the price difference is way too much on bookswagon I have been purchasing some board books they are almost 70% less than Amazon price listing and almost all arr imported ones. Book depository is compartively very expensive. 

The one issue which would have happened is they don't keep there website upto date and they might not have the book that's why I always call them before placing any order for expensive book 

So do you call, confirm and then place order on their site ? Do you also see price variations when calling vs on site ?

I also used to order from Amazon, but the price difference was too much to swallow. 2k vs 1.2k, and since BW was listed as an Amazon seller, didn't really think much. 

I hope this is something one off because BW does offer custom print books as well (as in on demand printing of limited run books - depends on publisher). And the import book cost differential is quite high compared to Amazon. 

switch to kindle and forget all your worries :giggle:

meanwhile I still buy books even after buying on kindle first :fear1:

7 minutes ago, North said:

Tried. Gave up. Not a fan. 

And I miss the charm of shuffling through the pages. 

Edited by Bird Bird Bird

So do you call, confirm and then place order on their site ? Do you also see price variations when calling vs on site ?

Yes but only for expensive books prices are same calling vs site 

46 minutes ago, North said:

I do that. Many times cheaper too plus instant delivery. The problem is - Kindle still does not compare to having an actual, physical book in your hands. There is a certain magic in opening a new physical book, going through the illustrations inside, shuffling the pages, the new book smell and all. Something Kindle does not replicate. Having an actual book feels like actually having a collection. Having a Kindle book does not give that feeling. Not to mention, absolute 0 eye strain on a physical book compared to Kindle (No matter what model of Kindle, there is always some eye strain, even if it is minimal)

Edited by roun90

On 7/1/2021 at 6:04 PM, North said:

It is on Axis website, and it does say 90-12 days. I guess I'll just have to do it and hope it works as promised. 

Today I received this sms from axis.

"Cashback Update: Your GRAB DEALS transaction on 7/3/2021 at Amazon was successfully recorded. Your cashback will be processed within 90-120 days. T&C."

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, gmanu555 said:

Today I received this sms from axis.

"Cashback Update: Your GRAB DEALS transaction on 7/3/2021 at Amazon was successfully recorded. Your cashback will be processed within 90-120 days. T&C."

Thanks a lot! Just checked, I've also got the text today! :dance:

9 hours ago, santanu18 said:

Super Mario 3D All-Stars (Switch) (Nintendo Switch) 2999

Super Mario 3D All-Stars NEW cannot be bought for any lower price. It's a STEAL DEAL for Collectors/Switch gamers

Luigi's Mansion 3 Nintendo Switch 3119

One day I go away from internet, I miss such awesome deals. Was looking to buy 3D All-Stars.