Online Shopping : deals and discussion thread

Bird Bird Bird

33 minutes ago, DinJo said:

How does oled really matter in work laptop? 

Not a work laptop. Personal. 

Work laptop is super restricted. Personal will be more for watching, downloading, some photo edits etc. OLED makes a huge difference, and while Asus has gone full monty on OLED screens, others are also catching up. 

2 minutes ago, DinJo said:

But isn't oled more stressful on eyes. 

For watching TV would be better unless you really want something to be watched, downloading? 

Nope. It's infact easier on the eyes. Less blue light. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Hey ! 

So since the new MBPs are aukaat ke baahar, and the recent 13inch MBP cost northwards of 1.8L for 1 TB storage/16GB RAM, leaning towards either Gram i7 or Zenbook OLED 13inch. 

Which Zenbook do you have ? What config ? How's the battery life ? 

Gram 16inch i7 will be around 85k with current discounts, Zenbook 13 OLED will be around 93k. Zenbook has R5800, which is much much powerful than i7 in Gram, but Gram would have better battery. 

How's the Gram's screen btw ? Is it thr 16/17 or 14 model ? I've heard that the screen is pretty good, nice blacks, decent contrast. Just that's it's a bit glossy. 

Zenbook has the excellent OLED, which obviously trumps everything else. 

A tad confused. 

My Zenbook is a 14inch i5 model (not an oled) I did not have much say in it as it was provided by the company and they had a budget. But honestly it looks and feels very premium(comparable to my MacBook Air), the OLED model will be even better I am sure and the display will be killer too. The battery life is pretty good I can use it without charging for at least 2 heavy work days (16-18 hrs.) also supports fast charge via USB C same goes for LG no complaints from Dad when it comes to battery. Both can be charged using mobile phone chargers as well this is a big bonus as I never carry the laptop charger back home anymore or on trips. 

Dad has the 2021 i5 17inch Gram like I said it looks good but doesn't feel as premium as the Zenbook or my personal Macbook Air (2019). I honestly thought it is made of very high grade plastic until you pointed it out that it is some alloy. But that screen is huge and it weighs only 1.35 kgs which is absolutely insane also since it has a huge body the weight distributes so well that when I pick it up it feels lighter than my Zenbook/MacBook. He went for the Gram because he wanted a big screen as it gets tough for him to check mails or work on excel on a small screen. The screen is pretty good I haven't tried watching anything on it if you want I can play some videos today in the evening after work and get back to you. 

I guess if you are buying a laptop for personal consumption you will have to decide between bigger screen vs better display (OLED). Also, I suggest you visit RD/Croma/VS and check them out side by side but call them before visiting as the Gram might not be available with them. The Zenbooks are available everywhere. 

Edited by SuperT
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, SuperT said:

My Zenbook is a 14inch i5 model (not an oled) I did not have much say in it as it was provided by the company and they had a budget. But honestly it looks and feels very premium(comparable to my MacBook Air), the OLED model will be even better I am sure and the display will be killer too. The battery life is pretty good I can use it without charging for at least 2 heavy work days (16-18 hrs.) also supports fast charge via USB C same goes for LG no complaints from Dad when it comes to battery. Both can be charged using mobile phone chargers as well this is a big bonus as I never carry the laptop charger back home anymore or on trips. 

Dad has the 2021 i5 17inch Gram like I said it looks good but doesn't feel as premium as the Zenbook or my personal Macbook Air (2019). I honestly thought it is made of very high grade plastic until you pointed it out that it is some alloy. But that screen is huge and it weighs only 1.35 gms which is absolutely insane also since it has a huge body the weight distributes so well that when I pick it up it feels lighter than my Zenbook/MacBook. He went for the Gram because he wanted a big screen as it gets tough for him to check mails or work on excel on a small screen. The screen is pretty good I haven't tried watching anything on it if you want I can p

lay some videos today in the evening after work and get back to you. 

I guess if you are buying a laptop for personal consumption you will have to decide between bigger screen vs better display (OLED). Also, I suggest you visit RD/Croma/VS and check them out side by side but call them before visiting as the Gram might not be available with them. The Zenbooks are available everywhere. 

Thanks for the info, mate. 

Local RD/Croma don't have either. No zenbook, no gram. So can't check unfortunately. 

16-18 hours is absolutely crazy. I doubt any Windows laptop can do that much in 13 inch. Gram might come close. The OLED Zenbook typically lasts about 6-8 hours depending on workload. 

How's the thermal with Zenbook and Gram ? The most common complaint I saw with ZB was thermals. 

Gram OTOH throttles fast, hence performance hit is expected. 

19 minutes ago, DinJo said:

They are talking about PWM, and the ZB OLED is in a weird zone. Some reviews said they detected PWM at mid to low brightness, and some said they didn't. 

My current work laptop also has PWM, and at low brightness, I don't feel anything, so seems like PWM does not effect me. It's personal though. Some peeps are highly irritated with PWM, while some don't feel a thing. 

But having talked to a couple of folks who have used it for months now, they didn't complain about the flicker either. 

OLEDs, in general, emit 70% (in current panels, 80% or so) less blue light than traditional panels. You get higher nits of brightness, better color accuracy, 100% DCIP3, fast response time, better battery with dark mode, excellent contrast etc. 

ZB OLED also mentions TUV Rheinland certification for being flicker free, so there's that. 

1 hour ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Thanks for the info, mate. 

Local RD/Croma don't have either. No zenbook, no gram. So can't check unfortunately. 

16-18 hours is absolutely crazy. I doubt any Windows laptop can do that much in 13 inch. Gram might come close. The OLED Zenbook typically lasts about 6-8 hours depending on workload. 

How's the thermal with Zenbook and Gram ? The most common complaint I saw with ZB was thermals. 

Gram OTOH throttles fast, hence performance hit is expected. 

No complaints with regards to thermals but I am always in an AC environment and not really ever pushing it to the max as it is only mails and excels. Same goes for the Gram.  Keep in mind the battery drains way faster when I use it for videocalls so I am sure it is not going to be this good for personal consumption specially for streaming videos. I get this kind of battery when I have the brightness on 60-70% and only using it for work which is mails and lots and lots of excels, so no videos or audio being played but I feel it should easily last 8-10hrs with heavy usage for videos/audio with max brightness. 

Edited by SuperT
  • Thanks 1

Typical of Flipkart, so far they have cancelled 7-8 products that they gave crazy deal in. T-shirts, tracks, iPhone cover etc etc. Now most of them are 3 times the price and they ‘welcomed me to make a fresh order for the items’ :ranting:

5 minutes ago, Bhpian Bali said:

Fire stick is normally required for tvs that dont have a good app support or android right? It would be a waste on latest smart tvs? 

Yup. If you have an android TV then no point in buying the firestick. But it still has some use for example the LG CX doesn't have Hotstar 4k compatibility so if you want to stream Hotstar in 4k you need the Firestick. 

Yup. If you have an android TV then no point in buying the firestick. But it still has some use for example the LG CX doesn't have Hotstar 4k compatibility so if you want to stream Hotstar in 4k you need the Firestick. 
Maybe stupid question but does the stick come with subscription to the mentioned apps or do you have to pay for it? And how much?

1 minute ago, SuperT said:

Ah! I have hotstar app in samsung apps store but like amazon fire stick it doesnt allow me to select streaming quality. Luckily I have an ul net connection. 

Just now, mohit9206 said:
3 minutes ago, SuperT said:

Maybe stupid question but does the stick come with subscription to the mentioned apps or do you have to pay for it? And how much?

Not a stupid question as I dont pay a paisa for any of the streaming services. But for people who are not me, regular subscription costs for all individual service.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SuperT said:

Didnt they update the app to give 4k compat?

On 10/19/2021 at 9:52 AM, Bird Bird Bird said:

Not a work laptop. Personal. 

Work laptop is super restricted. Personal will be more for watching, downloading, some photo edits etc. OLED makes a huge difference, and while Asus has gone full monty on OLED screens, others are also catching up. 

Which OLED laptops are you looking at? Any laptops with 15inch or bigger screens?

3 hours ago, SuperT said:

Last I checked which was 2-3 months ago - no, if it is done recently then I am not sure. 

My bad. They said they would (without specifying platforms), but seems like they still haven't rolled it out.