Marriage and Gaming : I do?

piper

Having been a PC gamer for many years and finally taken the console plunge earlier this year, I began to ponder over the one aspect of my life which my gaming affects (or vice versa) : my married life. I mean, its no trouble in paradise or anything but to be a gamer and a devoted spouse at the same time can be in the very least, challenging.

There are plenty of us here on IVG and its time to have our own thread. We can also compile a handy list in the OP, starting with myself.

IVG ID : Piper

Gaming stuff I own : PC, PS3, Android

Married since : November, 2008

So here's inviting all those gamers who've tied the knot to share their experiences.

1. How does your spouse feel about your gaming time?

2. Does she think those gaming figurines would come in handy for the kids to play with?

3. And the money spent on this passion, how does she feel about it?

Megz questions v1 :

4. Do you encourage your wife to play some videogames with you?

5. Would you be happy, surprised, thrilled or scared if your wife also became a member of IVG?

6. Do you encourage your wife or share her passions say may be, Saas-Bahu serial, Or Romantic YRF movie Or Cricket, Or Bhartnatyam Dance Show etc..?

7. How many hours in a week you devote to your Gaming?

8. What are three things you wish your wife would understand about you and your connection with Gaming?[/font][/color]

Megz questions v2 :

9. If you want one game to see your wife beat you in..Which one will that be?

10. What changes after marriage?? As in, Me time, utilization of me time, you as a person

11. Would you like your kid(s) to be an avid gamer(s)?

12. Have you ever planned a surprise gift/ party/ outing for your better half??

Let the trolling begin!

Edited by piper
Added Agony Aunt's questions :P
  • Like 8

IVG ID : Django_3101

Gaming stuff I own : PS3

Married since : February, 2006

Father Since: November, 2008

How does your spouse feel about your gaming time? Okay. Not a Problem. I generally play late once they go to sleep

Does she think those gaming figurines would come in handy for the kids to play with? I don't have any figurines except the panda and furious 5 from Kung Fu Panda 1 movie.. MacD. She herself being a fan of Mac Veggie, no problems at all. My son also loves the toys.

And the money spent on this passion, how does she feel about it? At times she feels I spend a lot on buying games. When it comes, I sell it on TP :P

Edited by Django_3101

Awesome Thread there Piper. I am gonna be a regular on this one.

I have some questions to the Married ones who are also passionate about Gaming.

1. Do you encourage your wife to play some videogames with you?

2. Would you be happy, surprised, thrilled or scared if your wife also became a member of IVG?

3. Do you encourage your wife or share her passions say may be, Saas-Bahu serial, Or Romantic YRF movie Or Cricket, Or Bhartnatyam Dance Show etc..?

4. How many hours in a week you devote to your Gaming?

5. What are three things you wish your wife would understand about you and your connection with Gaming?

2. Would you be happy, surprised, thrilled or scared if your wife also became a member of IVG?

3. Do you encourage your wife or share her passions say may be, Saas-Bahu serial, Or Romantic YRF movie Or Cricket, Or Bhartnatyam Dance Show etc..?

5. What are three things you wish your wife would understand about you and your connection with Gaming?

this is not sunny coffee thread :chair:

IVG ID : Ne0

Gaming stuff I own : PC, PS3, X360

Married since : Oct 2008

Unfortunately, wife isn't too fond of gaming. Well, she sorta assumed I'll "grow up" after marriage when responsibilities starts piling up. But like the saying goes - "men don't grow up, only their toys get more expensive", I continued to play the games. Over the time, wife has given up trying to change me :D

How does your spouse feel about your gaming time?

She loathes it as I'm highly unattentive and unresponsive during the period.

Does she think those gaming figurines would come in handy for the kids to play with?

I don't have any gaming figurines

And the money spent on this passion, how does she feel about it?

She feels its wasted. Tries her best to convince me not to spend it. Honestly speaking, I buy very less games these days. The days of buying games on day 1 are gone (until the next GTA comes on consoles that is ;) )

@Megz,

Yep, did not work out well. She's just not into that

Surprised, I will be.

I did try watching some hindi serial about two sisters (uttaran i think it was called) with her....but damn, its harder experience than playing ninja gaiden. So gave up along the way.

Less, max 10 hours.

Gaming rejuvenates me.

Its not wasted, if the money spent, makes you happy.

Old habits die hard.

Edited by Ne0

If she did not play games even when she sees me playing them all the time, then she doesn't want. Why encourage her to do something she doesn't want to do.

I'll be the same.

Well if our passions did not match or were too different, we would not have been married in the first place

Depends. If there is a game that is so immersive then I can spend the whole week playing. For instance, I played Mass Effect 2 for more than 80 hours in the last 4-5 days. I played Castlevania:LOS for a week for 15+ hours everyday when it released.

She already understands what I want her to.

Here you go Agony Aunty. Your guide to be a good wife to a gamer.

And here is one free tip - Keep buying lots of gaming related stuff for him all the time. At least it works with me and my wife.

Was yours an arranged marriage? Arranged as in your parents chose the girl for you.

Why I'm asking? I'm just curious. :P

Dont answer if u feel awkward.

Mine is a love marriage. I didn't have to fight coz our parents agreed.

I'll post more later, doing this from mobile coz IVG is blocked at my workplace.

For the thread:

IVG ID : cyclops

Gaming stuff I own : iPhone, PS3, PS2, PSP, in 2 minds about a PC.

Married since : November, 2009. We are together since August 2006.

How does your spouse feel about your gaming time?

She understands that its something I'm passionate about and is completely ok with it. I just have to help her in the kitchen when she is cooking which is max once a day 4-5 times a week.

Does she think those gaming figurines would come in handy for the kids to play with?

We don't have any plans for kids as of now. So can't say much here. But the general rule in my house is - 'Don't f**k with my gaming stuff and I'll let you live'. This feeling is reciprocated equally.

My wife doesn't let anyone touch my figurines. Even the maid in our house has been told not to go anywhere near my gaming set-up.

And the money spent on this passion, how does she feel about it?

This made me go rofl. My wife bought me PS3, PSP and iPhone. She insisted I buy 46 inch LED instead of a 40-46 inch LCD. I've about 140 ps3 games and 100 blurays. More than half of them are bought by my wife. About 20-30 of those 120 games are bought by my wife. When my wife went to US for a office trip, She got most of my CEs as CEs were not available in India at that time. MGS4 CE with artbook (the artbook was really hard to find), Arkham Asylum CE, DMC4 CE with artbook(again the artbook is extremely rare), Resistance 2 CE to name a few that she got for me from US. Whenever I am stressed because of work, my wife gets me a game or bluray. If I'm sad for some reason, she'll get me a game or bluray. If she wants me to drive her to some place, she'll buy me a game or bluray.

You might think I'm lucky. :P

But then again I got married to her because I knew what kind of person she is and how she feels about my passions.

My wife hates Microsoft and so the 360. She has forbidden me from going anywhere near a 360. Also she is a big fan of Apple and Sony. She loves watching movies on the bluray. So we don't go to theaters. We wait for the bluray to release and we watch the movie at home.

Edited by cyclops

m still single n very happy... but my gf always start :argue: when i tell her that m playing game..

that will be very horrible experience playing games with wife... cos my gf already thinks as PS3 is my co-wife.... :puspa:

So, i will never try to insist her for gaming...

@ambar and @cyclops : we all seem yo have very supportive wives. But cycle bhai your wife buying all that for you is epic. And I thought I was lucky when my wife insisted I buy a PS3 to satiate my gaming appetite.

@megz : thanks for the questions. I'll merge those into the OP. And, if you love this thread, then "y u no rep me" :) ?

• Like 1

Wow... thankyou guys for answering my questions... :arigato:

Piper, Neo: Nice to know. Actually, girls at times may not understand what makes you so absorbed into gaming. They will not really mind, if they are secure in their head that you do enough to spend time with her as well. It's just a balance equation, I feel.

Ambar: I loved your line, "I love her more than Games" . I seriously think you must tell her the same often and soon she will be buying you games like Cyclops wife.

Cyclops: You are really lucky. I guess your wife already knew about your passion before she got married to you. It's great to know that she pampers you with Games and Consoles.

And thanks for the tip. Makes me think.. I have never ever given him anything related to gaming other than DIY kit to make a racing Car :giggle:

As for me getting set to married a gamer, I am not sure. But I will surely like my guy to be passionate about something, be it gaming or sports.