Marriage and Gaming : I do?

piper

IVG ID : AtheK

Gaming stuff I own : PC, PS3. X360, iphone

Married since : Mar, 2011

1. How does your spouse feel about your gaming time? : She is fine with it till i don't spend too much time on it, my gaming time has cut down from 2 hrs to around 1 hr per day and from 5 hrs on weekend to around 3 hrs on weekend, but that is fine.

2. Does she think those gaming figurines would come in handy for the kids to play with? Nope, Kratos and Marcus aren't a great example for Kids i guess. But i can keep buying them for sometime, we will come to a consensus about how we proceed later i think :P

3. And the money spent on this passion, how does she feel about it? She is ok, she ocassionaly buys me a game too. Last she got me a red DS3 controller from Singapore, and she wants to buy me an ipad 2 now, but i have rejected that idea. I guess Galaxy S2 would make a better gift :P

4. Do you encourage your wife to play some videogames with you? Yup i do and we play a lot of tekken and mortal kombat together, good way o anger mgmt rather then screaming at each other :P

5. Would you be happy, surprised, thrilled or scared if your wife also became a member of IVG? Scared

6. Do you encourage your wife or share her passions say may be, Saas-Bahu serial, Or Romantic YRF movie Or Cricket, Or Bhartnatyam Dance Show etc..?

Yup, but i dont watch all of it, i spend time on Iphone/IVG at that time.

7. How many hours in a week you devote to your Gaming? around 10-15 hrs

8. What are three things you wish your wife would understand about you and your connection with Gaming? She understands, she is happy i have a great friend circle a majority of whom are due to IVG (CJ, CAD, Arun, HP, LA and a lot more)

I guess a lot of above is because we knew each other for 4 yrs and she already knew what she was getting into..so all is well

Edited by AtheK

IVG ID : AtheK

Gaming stuff I own : PC, PS3. X360, iphone

Married since : Mar, 2011

1. How does your spouse feel about your gaming time? : She is fine with it till i don't spend too much time on it, my gaming time has cut down from 2 hrs to around 1 hr per day and from 5 hrs on weekend to around 3 hrs on weekend, but that is fine.

2. Does she think those gaming figurines would come in handy for the kids to play with? Nope, Kratos and Marcus aren't a great example for Kids i guess. But i can keep buying them for sometime, we will come to a consensus about how we proceed later i think :P

3. And the money spent on this passion, how does she feel about it? She is ok, she ocassionaly buys me a game too. Last she got me a red DS3 controller from Singapore, and she wants to buy me an ipad 2 now, but i have rejected that idea. I guess Galaxy S2 would make a better gift :P

4. Do you encourage your wife to play some videogames with you? Yup i do and we play a lot of tekken and mortal kombat together, good way o anger mgmt rather then screaming at each other :P

5. Would you be happy, surprised, thrilled or scared if your wife also became a member of IVG? Scared

6. Do you encourage your wife or share her passions say may be, Saas-Bahu serial, Or Romantic YRF movie Or Cricket, Or Bhartnatyam Dance Show etc..?

Yup, but i dont watch all of it, i spend time on Iphone/IVG at that time.

7. How many hours in a week you devote to your Gaming? around 10-15 hrs

8. What are three things you wish your wife would understand about you and your connection with Gaming? She understands, she is happy i have a great friend circle a majority of whom are due to IVG (CJ, CAD, Arun, HP, LA and a lot more)

I guess a lot of above is because we knew each other for 4 yrs and she already knew what she was getting into..so all is well

@Athek : That sounds a little subdued :bigyellowgrin: , except for the Tekken part which is really cool and I must try it too (need to get a spare controller first, do they come in pink :tongue: ?)

Answering Megz behn's questions :

1. How does your spouse feel about your gaming time?

Our work schedules allow a couple of hours of "me" time either side so that is a bonus. Other times if she's got something to occupy her mind with, I'm free. Else, I'm helping her out or simply "us" time.

2. Does she think those gaming figurines would come in handy for the kids to play with?

Don't own any yet. Am not a diehard fan of any so far, but don't rule it out. She's been encouraging me to put up more gaming posters since the Crysis2 3D poster (thank you for that one, IVG).

3. And the money spent on this passion, how does she feel about it?

Tricky one. At the moment its fine, but I sense the volcano ready to erupt anyday now.

4. Do you encourage your wife to play some videogames with you?

She was interested in some fun kind of games like Sims, SingStar but I haven't got any of those titles, so not yet. But she's definitely interested, especially in Move type of games.

5. Would you be happy, surprised, thrilled or scared if your wife also became a member of IVG?

Happy. At first at least :scratchchin:

I encourage her wholly, but beyond some rare bollywood movie, I don't share her passion for serials.

7. How many hours in a week you devote to your Gaming?

Presently around 20hrs.

8. What are three things you wish your wife would understand about you and your connection with Gaming?

When I'm gaming, I'm in the game. And when its multiplayer, I'm simply not there.

Phew, that was a long list. But all good questions.

IVG ID : Devilsown

Gaming stuff I own : PC, PS3, X360

Married since : May 2009;

1. How does your spouse feel about your gaming time? - She likes it, cause then i dont hog the TV and she can watch all her rona-dhona serials in peace.

2. Does she think those gaming figurines would come in handy for the kids to play with? - NO figurines. But she's the one who buys me Gaming and United related stuff. She;s a huge Pink Floyd buff, so i buy her stuff related to that. Its a win-win!

3. And the money spent on this passion, how does she feel about it? - Thank god for TP and PC games!

4. Do you encourage your wife to play some videogames with you? - tried, but she's happy with her Angry Birds/ Janes Hotel kinda stuff.

5. Would you be happy, surprised, thrilled or scared if your wife also became a member of IVG? - Honestly, won't canvass her to become a member cause this is part of my "alone" time.

6. Do you encourage your wife or share her passions say may be, Saas-Bahu serial, Or Romantic YRF movie Or Cricket, Or Bhartnatyam Dance Show etc..? - Can't stand the rona-dhona TV soaps. But, yeah we share a lot of other passions/ interests. (Floyd as i said; then she loves old classic movies )

7. How many hours in a week you devote to your Gaming? - this is one thing which has gone down since marriage. Lot of other stuff happening. Would say around 15 on a normal weekend when i am in Mumbai. Two weekend in a month go in either going to my parents at Pune or a trip to some close by place

8. What are three things you wish your wife would understand about you and your connection with Gaming? - nah, she understands what i would want any partner to. [/font][/color]

Let the trolling begin!

VG ID : Madmage

Gaming stuff I own : XBOX, PS3, PSP, IPOD TOUCH, PS2

Married since : DEC 2006

So here's inviting all those gamers who've tied the knot to share their experiences.

1. How does your spouse feel about your gaming time? ----Well, so mine was as an arranged marriage and she came from a kind of family where all the guys were much younger than her and no one was really gadget savvy, its a different face that now my brother in laws own shitloads of the latest stuff. lol. So it was kinda overwhelmed when she started to note my gaming "obessesion". I just had a gaming rig back then and i used to play a lot of MMORPGs and as we all know those games are fun only for the person playing it and not for the people watching it. But inspite of that the wife used to stay awake till 1:00 or 2:00 in the night sitting next to me watching me play those games and trying to understand what the whole thing was about. But after a couple of months of this she got cranky with all this and said atleast give me some time and stuff, so that was when i went off PC gaming . I was cold turkey for nearly a month as far and gaming went.

It was then that GTA4 was around the corner, and I got myself an xbox to play gta4 and casually mentioned to her that i would need to buy a LCD tv for the room for gaming purposes. It was our anniversary next month and she gifted me a LCD TV, the next year it was the z5500 speakers and the year after that it was the sony ps3. After that I told her to put a blanket ban of gifts for any sorts, lol.

So that way if you see she is totally cool with me about gaming as long as we have loads of "us time" and "us moments".

2. Does she think those gaming figurines would come in handy for the kids to play with? -- Hell yeah, I have only simpson figurines and she has bought 3 of them and she is in love with the simpsons.

3. And the money spent on this passion, how does she feel about it? -- She is totally cool with it. She calls me up whenever she is in pune or at the airport and tells me that so and so blu ray is available, do you want me to buy it for you. Like Cyclops, we enjoy watching the blu rays in our room. We dont really have a good theater in mysore. I do get the occasional , "save for the kids" jab but thats only when 3 or more couriers arrive in the same week, lol

4. Do you encourage your wife to play some videogames with you? - Encourage ? There have been times when i had to wrestle the controller away from her. There was this time she was so addicted to Blue dragon that i was the one on the bed pleading her "jaldi aao, late hogayi hain, sona nahin hain kya". LOL.. And she actually finished the game. She loves watching me play "spectator games" like God of WAr, Alan wake, Gears etc. She loved portal and the puzzles. We cant wait to go and try portal 2 now. And the less said about the ipod touch the better. She breezes through those 99cents games every week. I dont even get to touch the ipod other than when i have to travel.

5. Would you be happy, surprised, thrilled or scared if your wife also became a member of IVG? - Happy i guess?

6. Do you encourage your wife or share her passions say may be, Saas-Bahu serial, Or Romantic YRF movie Or Cricket, Or Bhartnatyam Dance Show etc..? - She really does not have any passion which require my involvement as such but she is really a great painter and sketch artist and she loves it when i spend a minute or two watching her painting pretending to understand what she has drawn. She likes it when i get some good paints and canvas to paint though. She is basically happy if we just spend time together even if the time spent is me talking about what to buy next or how I could be finishing that one level rather than talking to her. lol

7. How many hours in a week you devote to your Gaming? 10 -12 hours a week at the most. On a good week that too.

8. What are three things you wish your wife would understand about you and your connection with Gaming?[/font][/color]

I dont wish :) She understands it perfectly :|

1. How does your spouse feel about your gaming time?

A. As long as I can give her enough of "our-time" and be done with my quota of daily chores, she is happy to let me play, the only condition being that I go to sleep by midnight atleast. If I do not, she will get up at around 2AM, give me a dirty look and go back to her sleep. The next morning, she will make sure I wake up early, no matter how much I plead. All this is because almost 9 years ago, when we started dating, I once ignored her for 30mins to play Quake III on my friend's PC. Since then she has developed a sort of aloofness towards my gaming though she seems to be mellowing.

2. Does she think those gaming figurines would come in handy for the kids to play with?

A. Don't have any figurines but she is adamant that I do not initiate our kids into gaming though I am sure she wouldn't mind it that much when I eventually do.

3. And the money spent on this passion, how does she feel about it?

A. She is pretty cool with that. We never question each others expenditure besides taking stock of our expenditure at the end of the month and having a candid discussion on which purchases were the ones that could have been avoided / postponed and that we are not spending beyond our means.

4. Do you encourage your wife to play some videogames with you?

A. Oh yes, I do and have managed to get her interested for extended periods of time as well but it is never beyond a day or two. Her priorities don't include gaming so even if she is interested, she will chose to take care of the house rather then sit and play games.

5. Would you be happy, surprised, thrilled or scared if your wife also became a member of IVG?

A. Scared of the emotional scarring IVG can do to her!

A. Yup! She is an accomplished Oddissi dancer and I encourage her to practice as much as she can. And ofcourse, an SRK movie is mandatory from time to time.

7. How many hours in a week you devote to your Gaming?

A. 10 hrs - 12 hrs

8. What are three things you wish your wife would understand about you and your connection with Gaming?

A.

> If I am in COD / BF MP, no matter what happens, I cannot get up and take care of something else while a round is on.

> That I would rather be in the Gamestop outlet in the mall rather then help her decide which dress to buy.

So that way if you see she is totally cool with me about gaming as long as we have loads of "us time" and "us moments".

I guess this one goes for all the wives (and especially girlfriends). And its fair too. Although their definition of "us time" is very different from ours :naughty:, but we need to understand their point of view too.

A.

> If I am in COD / BF MP, no matter what happens, I cannot get up and take care of something else while a round is on.

> That I would rather be in the Gamestop outlet in the mall rather then help her decide which dress to buy.

Even I'm thinking of having a (serious) discussion with her to explain that MP is something I can't take a quick break from (not even a quick loo break :bigyellowgrin: ). She'll understand coz I'll correlate it with live telecast of some Indian awards show :giggle: which being live must be watched then itself.

And for malls we've a mutual agreement that we'll spend time in our respective outlets (together or alone, depends) every time we go shopping. Mostly I prefer that her sister or friends accompany us so I get all the time in the world ogling gadgets while she has help with dress-shopping, shoe-shopping, etc. and we both end up happy with our shopping.

I guess my point there is that there is no one you are in fact vying with for attention. Just because you think Javier Bardem is incredibly sexy, for instance, and could gush about him incessantly, it doesn't mean your flesh-and-blood boyfriend is any less sexy to you, or that you're (a) comparing Mr Flesh-and-blood to Mr Bardem or (B) going to ignore Mr Flesh-and-blood and decide that the thought of Javier keeps you warmer at night.

Same concept with the video game characters.

Outsider, you are have it all to become a wife like Mrs. Cyclop.. Yay!! On top of that you are fabulous masterchef.. Insider is the next lucky man on IVG. :exoticdance:

Why should you? Would anyone feel uncomfortable about their partners knowing that they interact with me or Megz on IVG? Where's the difference?

Yeah.. Ousider already has found one and I am totally harmless :bigyellowgrin:

Also,

Tif : All the best dude.. The married men here will sure give you tips and suggestion to survive once you take the leap.

Madmage: Coolmage, your wife is the coolest one. I found her really sweet from your description of her. Congrats dude!

And yeah, what's with you guys behaving all obsessed and absorbed in a gadget shop.. Expression resembles an alcoholic infront of a wine shop.

But I must say, I am lucky here. I love accompanying my guy to an Electronic /Gadget mall or shops.. He look happy beyond words.. and that makes me super happy too.

The only difficult part is that he tempts me also to buy those gadgets which I may not need as such. And when I control my urge to not spend and don't buy it, I end up getting it as a gift :doh:

The best part is that after a good round of his favourite gadget shop 2-3 times , I can drag him for atleast one round of the Homestore :giggle: