~The TV Shows Thread~

StormShadow

Irritating characters, illogical mumbo jumbo plot turns (all somehow connected to that ONE scientist; mumbo jumbo is okay btw. x-files and lost do it much better), stupid place name graphics, stupid title sequence, horrible dialogue (especially the irritating "genius" son of the scientist) etc etc etc.

I did like the (short) plane interior sequence. Reminded me of sunshine/event horizon/alien(s).

Oh wait, that also reminds me: horrible horrible horrible meeting of the minds sequence (electrolyte immersion + electrodes = bad CG and kissy-kissy? who'd have thunk it). lol.

And heroes is even worse, btw. thank god all super heroes aren't pretentious pricks like some of the people on the show.

Irritating characters, illogical mumbo jumbo plot turns (all somehow connected to that ONE scientist; mumbo jumbo is okay btw. x-files and lost do it much better), stupid place name graphics, stupid title sequence, horrible dialogue (especially the irritating "genius" son of the scientist) etc etc etc.

I did like the (short) plane interior sequence. Reminded me of sunshine/event horizon/alien(s).

Oh wait, that also reminds me: horrible horrible horrible meeting of the minds sequence (electrolyte immersion + electrodes = bad CG and kissy-kissy? who'd have thunk it). lol.

And heroes is even worse, btw. thank god all super heroes aren't pretentious pricks like some of the people on the show.

:huh: ok so fringe isn't your type :ack: hmm now i seriously gotta visit a psychologist asap :P :

Fringe is what passes for a top flight series these days? No thank you, television. How much more by the numbers can you get?!

What a waste of two hours. Give me my 90's TV back please. Are all shows this bad now?

I saw Flight of the Conchords recently and liked it. And I liked Lost. But WTF :/ And are decent sitcoms a thing of the past? Is there nothing as intelligent as Frasier around? Will all my posts be stuffed full of questions from now on?!

Thank you. Fringe is the suck.

This is what I had said when I watched the leaked pilot.

Fringe:

Good production, but sadly all those 'mindblowing' fx couldn't touch the atmosphere of the X files.

The main problem with Fringe is the leads are painfully dull. The plotlines are appear very forced and wannabe xphile. Dialogues are bland - nowhere near Mulder/Scully repartee.

Fringe needs to compared to Alias or something - NOT the X Files.

Sorry, unless the quality(pacing, writing, cast..) improves - this one is getting canceled very soon.

sorrytryagain128586790833524737.jpg

/nominates keyofx for post of GI 'Authority of all that is awesome and pisspoorimitationofcool'

OHMYGOD this is so unexpected! I accept your nomination.

/pulls out pre-written speech

I don't know if it'll get canceled though. Not when there are shows worse than Fringe running multiple seasons.

dont give up keyofx.there is still some decent ty out there.

try the wire .

or watch the early episodes of the sopranos and find subtleties of detail you never saw the first time.

and then there is another superb show called first person, a documentary tv show by errol morris.

Excellent call!

The wire is in all probability the best written show out there.

@zen: Duly noted. I'll check The Wire out asap.

Used to watch the Sopranos back in the day. I liked it. The shows were good back then, so I watched a lot of TV...

@aman: Becker was funny :) But then they had to go and cancel it :/

Edit: And first person looks REALLY interesting. I look around, failing which, I'll ask people :D

Edited by keyofx

Excellent call!

The wire is in all probability the best written show out there.

+100

@keyofx: start from season 1.the wire will take a few episodes to draw you in. i remember watching the first episode and it felt like i had been hit by a car, i could'nt tell who was who.

but by the end of the season i was watching 4 episodes a day coz you just had to know what happened next.

lot of street-slang, so dont forget your subtitles.

+100

@keyofx: start from season 1.the wire will take a few episodes to draw you in. i remember watching the first episode and it felt like i had been hit by a car, i could'nt tell who was who.

but by the end of the season i was watching 4 episodes a day coz you just had to know what happened next.

lot of street-slang, so dont forget your subtitles.

Yeah the first four or five episodes are definitely an overload. There are characters and story lines branching off like crazy, but once you get the hang of it it will hook you in like nothing else. The characters are smartly written, consistent and realistic. Even though its a cops vs drug dealers show it has no black and white sides. The whole show is written in shades of grey.

Like I said the calibre of writing/storytelling in there is superb.

Will do.

Whats your opinion on all these new fangled shows then? House, How I Met Your Mother, Californication etc etc?

HIMYM is very funny, once you get past Season 1, and it uses a different format, where the story is being told as a flashback, which then "flashforwards" leading to some great gags.

And Neil Patrick Harris is the best of the lot in the show...coz he gets some legen......wait for it....dary lines

.....NO ONE > fox mulder

FIXED

also, House is different from the usual drama sitcoms. the medical portion is a secondary element - it's a MacGuffin. You need to watch House for the interplay between the cast. Laurie himself is a talented actor, and supported decently by his cast. The script is fantastic. And it's hard to like such an unrepentant ahole but you do.