~The TV Shows Thread~

StormShadow

2 hours ago, STICK3Rboy said:

No worries.

The thing you need to know about Hotstar though is that it's video quality is sh*t when compared to the alternative :P

Great, I'll watch your recommendations :) 

Edited by Joe Cool
edited

10 hours ago, Chirag2001 said:

Yo guys, can I get a couple of TV show recommendations? Preferably stuff that isn't 12 seasons long or something crazy. I'm cool with 3-4 seasons.

Recommend whatever you've liked best, I haven't really seen much TV shows. Only seen Peaky Blinders. Please also mention which streaming service its on.

Peaky Blinders is very good. Good choice there.

As for list of shows, there are really thousands of shows worth watching. It comes down to what genre you want to watch. These days I only watch comedy shows or re-run older shows.

The ones that I have watched it many times and still watch: 

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - I know it is not 3-4 seasons. Not even 7-9 seasons but currently sitting at 14 seasons. Goddamn this is among pinnacle of TV shows that is running for last 14 years. Season 1 and 2 might take you some time to get used to old charm and characters but once you stick around, you are in for one hell of a crazy ride. This isn't some comedy show that turns into rom-com or drama or any such bullshite after few seasons, no. This is pure comedy gold. I watch this show literally every day. Yes, every single day of my life. I have seen and can recite every line now and still find it funny This show is that much fun and one cannot not get a laugh from it. All characters are crazy, the humor is toilet level gold, and there is no bullshite story and all. Episodes are random shite they do and it is amazing. This is a must watch for all comedy lovers. New season was very good.

Gravity Falls - animation, comedy, adventure, heart of gold, family. My favorite animated show out there. Just 2 seasons but fantastic. The design is great, animation is superb and characters are best part. The comedy and adventure blend in extremely well. 

Mind Your Language - you cannot find or make shows like that now. This is from late 70s and is one of the most funnest thing I've watched. It is basically an English teacher trying to teach English to people from around the world. Hilarious stuff. Around 4 seasons and bit hard to find. You can however watch it on Youtube. 

Better Off Ted - just 2 seasons. Sadly it had a poor name and no marketing which killed the show but don't let that stop you from not watching it. Smart, subtle and sometimes vulgar humor. I miss it. 

IT Crowd - just 24 episodes. 24 hilarious episodes. This is UK comedy and so can be a hit or miss if you are not used to it. I would suggest watching it still as it is hilarious. Douglas is my among all time favorite comedy character and show gets even better once he arrives. 

Gortimer Gibbon's Life on Normal Street - probably very few have heard of this show but it is a joyful show and perfect for kids/family. Very well written. Simple, innocent, outdoor, friendship, adventure, comedy, emotions. It made me tear up. Love it. Only 2 seasons. I watch it every 6 or 12 months. Definitely worth giving it a shot. 

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency - gone too soon. Another show no one watched at launch but lots of people tuned in when it got cancelled. Brilliant stuff. Just 2 seasons. 

Santa Clarita Diet - another one gone too soon. Just 3 wonderful seasons. Ever wanted zombie with comedy show? This is it. Olyphant is fantastic. Kids did their role very well too.

The King of Queens - 9 long seasons but absolutely love Doug & Carrie. Their chemistry is so so good. Stiller is great as usual. Side characters play their part well too. I loved every minute of it. It is more sit back on couch and chill. 

Doctor Who - very long. very awesome. Reboot series on air since 2005. Original since 60s. Only new Doctor (Jodie Whittaker) and her seasons suck but that shouldn't stop one from not watching it. DW is for everyone. From kids to old people. It is a great adventure filled with all kinds of emotions. The show is so close to heart. 

Battlestar Galactica - 15 years and still nothing replaced it. 4 seasons and mini-series. It is more than just sci-fi. Star Trek: Discovery wishes it were this exciting.

LOST - obviously saved my best for last. Best pilot. Best characters. Best OST. Best show ever made. You wouldn't believe the craze it set when it aired. I have watched 100s and 100s of shows and I still haven't replaced LOST. There is simply nothing there that can replace these characters. Changes your life perspective. It is more than just a TV show for me and I feel everyone should watch LOST once even if you don't (understand) like the ending. 

Other shows with few seasons mostly (or only few seasons good but good watch):

• Heroes - Watch season 1. That's all. 
  • 11.22.63 - mini series. Time travel with James Franco and Sarah Gadon. Beautifully made. 
  • The Mandalorian - 1 season. Good start. Mid meh. Good ending. Worth checking out. 
  • Six Feet Under - 5 seasons of perfection.
  • The Shield - 7 seasons. Terrific writing with superb characters. 
  • Deadwood - 3 seasons. Olyphant's best. 
  • Daredevil - 3 seasons. Dumbarses cancelled best superhero show. Matt and Kingpin are best part. Karen and Elektra are worst. 
  • Billions - 4 seasons. Not much talks around here but show turned around so well. Solid acting from both Giamatti and Lewis. There are some inconsistencies and female actors are bad or annoying as show revolves around Chuck and Bobby. Lots of money, quality, entertaining. Not really a must watch but you will have a good time rooting for either guy.
  • Schitt's Creek - 5 seasons. Subtle good comedy show. If you can get past or used to Catherine O'Hara, you will have a pleasant time watching it. Dad and Son are best. 
  • Community - 6 seasons and movie. Cool characters and easy to get in. Very chill show. 
  • Fargo - 3 seasons. Mysterious, intense, some fun, well written show. The cinematography is amazing. Did I mention the theme music? 
  • The Mick - 2 seasons. For all Kaitlin Olson fans. She is hilarious as ever. Rest of the cast did well but sadly got cancelled.
  • Russian Doll - 1 season. I liked it. It was refreshing. 
  • The Umbrella Academy - 1 season. I liked it very much. Number Five oozes charisma and talent. Entertaining show. 
  • The Good Place - 4 seasons. Kind of a unique show. Lots of fun despite some not so great stuff in newer seasons. Still definitely worth checking out. 
  • Killing Eve - 2 seasons. Season 1 set bar high which season 2 couldn't beat it. Still a good show. 
  • Marvelous Mrs. Maisel - 3 seasons. Took me a while to used to it but Maisel is hilarious. 
  • Generation War - mini series. German. War. Very nice. 

• Suits - season 1 to 5 lots of fun. Harvey is SUITS. Watch it for him. 

• One Day at a Time - 3 seasons. Family chill comedy show. Not too bad. It's on Netflix. 

• Good Girls - 2 seasons. Female Breaking Bad type bumb show but you want to keep watching. 

• Just Add Magic - 3 seasons. Kids/family cooking magic show. Pretty chill and fun.

• The Chef Show - 2 seasons. Favreau‎. If you like food and Chef movie, this is for you.

• The Goldbergs - 7 seasons. Family comedy show. It was good but new seasons are drag. 

• Fresh Off the Boat - 6 seasons. Asian family in America with kids. Good fun

CW stuff: there is something about CW shows. They always start well, set up well but somehow everything drops and goes crazy and slowly loses charm. 

• Smallville - still best Superman stuff on media. Best Lex. Was good till last season 5. Then slowly started moving in wrong direction till season 9 & 10.
  • Supernatural - love Sam and Dean but show has had lot of ups and downs in newer seasons. Some are very bad that you would want to skip. Expected when you run a show for 15 seasons. 
  • Riverdale - good 2 seasons. 
  • The 100 - good 2 seasons. Okay 3rd season. Rest is just stupid. 
  • Jane the Virgin - this was kind of entertaining and cheesy. Okay start -> got better -> got meh. Wouldn't mind tuning in for a random episode. 
  • The Vampire Diaries - romance, vampire, cheesy, college, all pretty people. Somerhalder, oh god. 3 fun season. After that kind of loses charm. The female lead sucked. Salvatore brothers, originals, Alaric were best and their scenes/episodes didn't lose charm till end. 
  • The Originals - a spin off TVD which turned out better than TVD till a point there it started to suck. Klaus and Elijah were perfect. Too bad once again female lead sucked and eventually got meh. 
  • iZombie - 3 good seasons. Then meh. 
  • No Tomorrow - super cheesy. Something you could watch as couple. Only 1 season. 
  • Veronica Mars - very nice 2 seasons. Then meh. Returned after 12 years and it wasn't too shabby. 
  • All their superhero shows - couple of good seasons/episodes and dragged so long that you end up hating it. 

I skipped some of the obvious ones for obvious reasons and not really fan of those nor watched more than once. There are so many shows really. Anyways, think this should keep you busy for a long time. Most of the shows are available on Netflix/Amazon/Youtube/Hulu or your local provider. Enjoy. ?

• Like 7

^^ wtf, LOST ? seriously ? that show had like the worst ending of any show in TV history.  So bad that , anyone says LOST, i think of the bad finale.  It raised more questions than it answered, became way too self indulgent, and in the final season, when they should be unraveling mysteries that they kept piling on in  a layered fashion, they just decided to make the whole damn thing into a feud between 2 brothers !  Still remember everyone hooking onto that 2 hour series finale and everyone saying 'thats it ?'  everywhere, including this forum :lol:

55 minutes ago, Big Boss said:

Just watch Breaking bad on Netflix. TV shows don't get better than that. 5 seasons but it's worth every minute. It starts slow but once you are into it, you just can't stop.

Breaking bad is good, but its a slow burn.  I know many people who gave up on the show unable to take in all the family drama.  The Wire is good too (even better in many aspects), if one can be a little patient.  

2 hours ago, CarbonCore said:

Lost is the only TV show where I remembered every character's full name by the end of first season. The character arcs and personal stories in that show are still untouched. Just ignore the silly overarching plot.

2 hours ago, Joe Cool said:

:cheers:

Characters and all their stories are unmatched. Finale doesn't change nor ruin LOST journey. 

Agree 100%. LOST is amazing.

6 hours ago, CarbonCore said:

Lost is the only TV show where I remembered every character's full name by the end of first season. The character arcs and personal stories in that show are still untouched. Just ignore the silly overarching plot.

The character arcs started out very well, especially the first two seasons.  But later you start to wonder where exactly were they headed ? The fat guy's number game didn't even make sense towards the end.  Same goes for John lock, Shepard , the Korean couple, Jamie and Kate.  They all start out well, reach a peak after which the story writers ran out of ideas to further them.  

Remember that scene where 'the others' are talked about and shown in the beginning seasons ? Towards the season finale they become as inconsequential as the plot itself ! 

As I remember, the last good episode was 'the incident', where I thought the show was finally getting it's act together, but, damn, I was disappointed !! 

On 1/7/2020 at 12:23 AM, Joe Cool said:

As for list of shows, there are really thousands of shows worth watching. It comes down to what genre you want to watch. These days I only watch comedy shows or re-run older shows.

Oh man so much nostalgia in one post ?

Lost ,smallville, supernatural,heroes season 1 ?

Better off Ted and IT crowd are really good ones!

11.22.63 is indeed an awesome mini series.

Dirk Gently ....oh man....so good ....why did they cancel it BC :'(

Also recently finished a series of unfortunate events.....was really critical about season 1 .....but damn it got so interesting....an amazing narrative series :D

Edited by Joe Cool