~The TV Shows Thread~

StormShadow

On 5/13/2020 at 3:00 PM, GunnerY2J said:

Family also started watching the newer one on star plus because of being more fast.

The old one is more simple and has more things to learn and better too but slow.

The more I watch, Duryodhan is portrayed as the villain but however wrong he was the Pandavas were also the culprits : wrong and racist and favoured.

Only natural for Duryodhan to have negative feelings against them who come suddenly and try to take away his birthright.

yes, what he did with Draupadi (her maid then which he won) was completely wrong but why bet your wife in the first place : the responsibility should fall more on the pandavas for this if at least not equal.

And they will win the entire war because of biased favour,powers and trickery from the gods and by also asking favours from their enemies.

I actually liked old mahabharat much more than 2013 one. The cast was perfect, their costumes etc were on point. Even the action was decent. The songs being played in background had perfect lyrics.  2013 was too much stretched. The Draupadi swayamvar took forever, I lost interest and stopped watching after that.

43 minutes ago, Big Boss said:

I actually liked old mahabharat much more than 2013 one. The cast was perfect, their costumes etc were on point. Even the action was decent. The songs being played in background had perfect lyrics.  2013 was too much stretched. The Draupadi swayamvar took forever, I lost interest and stopped watching after that.

Yes, now they are showing 4-5 episodes back to back on star plus, that helps.

Old one people talk very slowly but is better no doubt.

Songs of the old ones are classic.

Costumes of the new one feel cheap and toy like shiny.

Cast of new one is poor as well.

Expect Arjun, all the Pandavas don't suit at all.

But Duryodhan of the new one is amazing, perfect - like watching him.

Mahabharat needs a game of thrones level TV series - but can only imagine Indians going berserk after they show the more intimate and controversial stuff.

Finally gave The Big Bang Theory a shot.

The show kind of loses the charm after season 4-5 ish. Up to that not too bad to pass the time. Season 6 and 7 had some moments but overall just flat. Season 8 is unwatchable right from start. Don't think I'll be able to finish it. Already turned off twice mid way of S8. Looking at remaining seasons, it doesn't seem to improve from S8 much. 

Penny is the worst character in the show. Everything with the boys is fun otherwise. Amy and Bernadette don't derail too much nor too dumb where it becomes unfunny. The guest appearances are cool. 

9 hours ago, Big Boss said:

Completed Patal Lok. Pretty good series. 9/10 from me. 

Is it too disturbing for a living room watch ? From the trailer, it seemed pretty violent.

2 hours ago, Joe Cool said:

Penny is the worst character in the show. Everything with the boys is fun otherwise. Amy and Bernadette don't derail too much nor too dumb where it becomes unfunny. The guest appearances are cool. 

wtf .... penny is THE show along with the 4 main characters !  The whole concept is that the nerdiness of the 4 geeks are contrasted by the street smart/next door neighbor penny.  Most gags work in the initial seasons with this core concept. One of the main reasons why the latter seasons get boring is because the show leans towards their personal relationships instead of the core idea which with they started the show.  They did have a few good episodes here and there after se07, but it just was not the same as before.  

On 5/13/2020 at 3:00 PM, GunnerY2J said:

Family also started watching the newer one on star plus because of being more fast.

The old one is more simple and has more things to learn and better too but slow.

The more I watch, Duryodhan is portrayed as the villain but however wrong he was the Pandavas were also the culprits : wrong and racist and favoured.

Only natural for Duryodhan to have negative feelings against them who come suddenly and try to take away his birthright.

yes, what he did with Draupadi (her maid then which he won) was completely wrong but why bet your wife in the first place : the responsibility should fall more on the pandavas for this if at least not equal.

And they will win the entire war because of biased favour,powers and trickery from the gods and by also asking favours from their enemies.

Don't know what's shown in the 2013 show (There are various Mahabharat shows and many of them vary), but from what I understand of the story - King Pandu was the true king of Hastinapur. When Pandu went to the forest, Dhritarashtra was made the King-Regent/Caretaker King - to hold the throne only until King Pandu returned. But when Pandu met his fate in the forest, and the crown came back - it should have been passed on to Yudhistira, who was the eldest son and heir to King Pandu. But Dhritarashtra held on to the crown and Yudhistira, wanting to respect his elderly uncle did not create a fuss at the time. So technically, the Pandavas had a far stronger claim to the Hastinapur Throne than the Kauravas. The strongest blood claim of course rested with Bhisma, even more than Pandu and Dhritarashtra - but he had taken vows and did not try to claim the throne, so that is another matter.

Also, the crimes of Duryodhan was many, including numerous assassination attempts, violation of guest rights (Trying to kill Pandavas when they came as guests by burning them in the house of lac), disrobing Draupadi and many more. Truly, Mahabharat is the Indian Game of Thrones. If they could ever do a proper version, sticking true to the  source story without glorifying anyone (Indian versions are highly guilty of this, some excessively glorifying Karna, some Duryodhan etc.) and with proper marketing, the story can become as popular as Game of Thrones. It has that quality (In fact, I would say it's better than GOT)

Edited by roun90

21 minutes ago, roun90 said:

Don't know what's shown in the 2013 show (There are various Mahabharat shows and many of them vary), but from what I understand of the story - King Pandu was the true king of Hastinapur. When Pandu went to the forest, Dhritarashtra was made the King-Regent/Caretaker King - to hold the throne only until King Pandu returned. But when Pandu met his fate in the forest, and the crown came back - it should have been passed on to Yudhistira, who was the eldest son and heir to King Pandu. But Dhritarashtra held on to the crown and Yudhistira, wanting to respect his elderly uncle did not create a fuss at the time. So technically, the Pandavas had a far stronger claim to the Hastinapur Throne than the Kauravas. The strongest blood claim of course rested with Bhisma, even more than Pandu and Dhritarashtra - but he had taken vows and did not try to claim the throne, so that is another matter.

Also, the crimes of Duryodhan was many, including numerous assassination attempts, violation of guest rights (Trying to kill Pandavas when they came as guests by burning them in the house of lac), disrobing Draupadi and many more. Truly, Mahabharat is the Indian Game of Thrones. If they could ever do a proper version, sticking true to the  source story without glorifying anyone (Indian versions are highly guilty of this, some excessively glorifying Karna, some Duryodhan etc.) and with proper marketing, the story can become as popular as Game of Thrones. It has that quality (In fact, I would say it's better than GOT)

You are right but the true heir doesn't matter in this context with relation to Duryodhan.

His father is now king (however and by whatever means) and right from his childhood he would be the next king and he would definitely feel robbed if he isn't made one.

Yes, Duryodhan is guilty of many other crimes - especially trying to kill his guests but what I meant are Pandavas are guilty as well.

And the Draupadi thing makes sense (still wrong) taking consideration the time period and maids (he did win her as his maid now) and greater wrong was done by Pandavas by betting their wife. 

Feels extremely odd that now Draupadi sides with her husbands' agian and only wants revenge against the Kauravas.

It was indeed yudhisthirs self pride and self righteousness that he continued to play, that's the worst thing I have seen in Mahabharat.

Also, Pandavas are heavily favoured in the war in every battle - Duryodhan does trickery and prapanch but what is taking favor from the gods in a war as well ?

They wouldn't stand a chance in the war but pandavas are the heroes.

Also, Pandavas were racist towards Karn as well but eventually take favour from him as well in the war.

I mean Duryodhan is an antagonist yes, but pandavas shouldn't be looked as godly men.

Edited by GunnerY2J

It's all Dharm vs Adharm with lot of grey areas. But every step taken by Pandav is explained by Krishna in the same series. If you have watched the series, you will know the reasoning. Krishna had made sure to convince Pandavas and the viewers about his every decision.

Just now, GunnerY2J said:

You are right but the true heir doesn't matter in this context with relation to Duryodhan.

His father is now king (however and by whatever means) and right from his childhood he would be the next king and he would definitely feel robbed if he isn't made one.

Yes, Duryodhan is guilty of many other crimes - especially trying to kill his guests but what I meant are Pandavas are guilty as well.

And the Draupadi thing makes sense (still wrong) taking consideration the time period and maids (he did win her as his maid now) and greater wrong was done by Pandavas by betting their wife. 

Feels extremely odd that now Draupadi sides with her husbands' agian and only wants revenge against the Kauravas.

It was indeed yudhisthirs self pride and self righteousness that he continued to play, that's the worst thing I have seen in Mahabharat.

Also, Pandavas are heavily favoured in the war in every battle - Duryodhan does trickery and prapanch but what is taking favor from the gods in a war as well ?

They wouldn't stand a chance in the war but pandavas are the heroes.

Also, Pandavas were racist towards Karn as well but eventually take favour from him as well in the war.

I mean Duryodhan is an antagonist yes, but pandavas shouldn't be looked as godly men.

Who has the better claim? Will Pandavas not feel robbed, because their father *was* the king and his crown was taken by a regeant? There are multiple claims and counter-claims. Hence why I said GOT. And even with that, they were ready to settle for 5 provinces, or even 5 small villages (1 for each brother). That would have stopped the entire Mahabharat war. Surely, they deserved at least that much? And remember, as per Mahabharat - The Pandavas, especially Arjuna had also saved Duryodhan's life from being kidnapped by Celestials before. At least that should have earned them the 5 villages? But Duryodhan was not willing to give even that small amount.

As far as revenge, from what I read  - that was a serial invention. Bhima was the only one who took the oath of revenge, in front of the whole court. Draupadi mainly appealed to the elders and got the Pandavas away from being slaves (after Dhritarashtra got scared of the situation going out of control and of the omens that started happening at the time). And there is no way Draupadi can side with Kauravas. Whatever happened, it was Karna who egged on Duryodhan, Duryodhan who insulted her openly in front of the entire court and Dusshasan whose hand actually tried to disrobe her in front of everyone.

Edited by roun90

@roun90

Of course Draupadi can't side with the Kauravas.

Her siding with her husband's who lost her in a bet is what's odd.

Just this mainly : placing a bet on your wife and losing her is more worse or not ? I think yes, that's worse to protect self righteousness and pride.

(You need to consider probable position of maids at that time and Draupadi was a maid after that because of her husbands)

Yes, claim is a two sided  coin , the Pandavas will and should also feel robbed, I only mean the mindset of Duryodhan was nothing unnatural and actions understandable if still wrong.

And *was* is indeed a big word.

22 minutes ago, GunnerY2J said:

@roun90

Of course Draupadi can't side with the Kauravas.

Her siding with her husband's who lost her in a bet is what's odd.

Just this mainly : placing a bet on your wife and losing her is more worse or not ? I think yes, that's worse to protect self righteousness and pride.

(You need to consider probable position of maids at that time and Draupadi was a maid after that because of her husbands)

Yes, claim is a two sided  coin , the Pandavas will and should also feel robbed, I only mean the mindset of Duryodhan was nothing unnatural and actions understandable if still wrong.

And *was* is indeed a big word.

Not really. Dhritarashtra is never crowned the king. He is a regeant - nothing more, nothing less. So the throne is never his by right, at all. When he held on to it - it was done wrongly, and was adharma. As an analogy, it was like saying Scar was the true king in the Lion King. No, Simba was, and when he came back, Scar should have yielded to him.

As far as the dice game is concerned, from what i read, in those old times, a king who was challenged had to accept the challenge. No way around it. But yes, escalation was Yudhistira's fault, and I think one of the sins he had to bear which led him to spend some time in Hell, before moving on to heaven in the after-life. And Draupadi had argued, successfully that she was a person and not Yudhistira's possession to be gambled away. It's why Bheem flew into a rage in court and swore his blood oath. In fact, some people, including 1 Kaurava (Vidura and Vikarna) spoke for her. But the elders, including Bhisma remained silent and allowed the sin to go on- which added to their own sins.

As far as the Maid bit is concerned - All Pandavas were in similar situations, and all Pandavas protected Draupadi from any dis-respect that might have come about during this time. Bheema was a servent, but when the Army General Kichaka tried to insult Draupadi, he killed him openly.

Anyway, this is the TV Shows thread. Are we allowed to discuss Mahabharata in this thread?

Edited by roun90

Not really. Dhritarashtra is never crowned the king. He is a regeant - nothing more, nothing less. So the throne is never his by right, at all. When he held on to it - it was done wrongly, and was adharma. As an analogy, it was like saying Scar was the true king in the Lion King. No, Simba was, and when he came back, Scar should have yielded to him.

As far as the dice game is concerned, from what i read, in those old times, a king who was challenged had to accept the challenge. No way around it. But yes, escalation was Yudhistira's fault, and I think one of the sins he had to bear which led him to spend some time in Hell, before moving on to heaven in the after-life. And Draupadi had argued, successfully that she was a person and not Yudhistira's possession to be gambled away. It's why Bheem flew into a rage in court and swore his blood oath. In fact, some people, including 1 Kaurava (Vidura and Vikarna) spoke for her. But the elders, including Bhisma remained silent and allowed the sin to go on- which added to their own sins.

As far as the Maid bit is concerned - All Pandavas were in similar situations, and all Pandavas protected Draupadi from any dis-respect that might have come about during this time. Bheema was a servent, but when the Army General Kichaka tried to insult Draupadi, he killed him openly.

Anyway, this is the TV Shows thread. Are we allowed to discuss Mahabharata in this thread?
Isn't it also and mainly a TV show now ?

I don't think anyone now reads the novels or verses it was based on.
I don't see why not.

Sent from my ASUS_X01BDA using Tapatalk

I don't see why not.

6 minutes ago, GunnerY2J said:

I don't see why not.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention - 

The terms of the exile were only -

1) 12 years of vanvaas (Exile to Forest)

2) 1 year of hiding

In the 13th Year (Of Hiding) if the Kauravas found the Pandavas, then the cycle would repeat - Another 12 years of forest life and 1 year of hiding. There was no mention in the conditions of Draupadi being required to be a maid. Being a maid was a part of the disguise that Draupadi chose for herself, in consultation with the Pandavas to hide in the 13th year.

Also, I asked about the thread because -

1) There are actually tons of people who still read the book, there are many people working on translating the old authentic books (In Sanskrit) to modern languages (Hindi, English, Tamil etc.) and Mahabharat is still associated with a book.

2) Mahabharata has really high religious connotations in India, and I don't want to start any religious debates here (or get banned for it lol).

Edited by roun90

20 minutes ago, roun90 said:

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention - 

The terms of the exile were only -

1) 12 years of vanvaas (Exile to Forest)

2) 1 year of hiding

In the 13th Year (Of Hiding) if the Kauravas found the Pandavas, then the cycle would repeat - Another 12 years of forest life and 1 year of hiding. There was no mention in the conditions of Draupadi being required to be a maid. Being a maid was a part of the disguise that Draupadi chose for herself, in consultation with the Pandavas to hide in the 13th year.

Also, I asked about the thread because -

1) There are actually tons of people who still read the book, there are many people working on translating the old authentic books (In Sanskrit) to modern languages (Hindi, English, Tamil etc.) and Mahabharat is still associated with a book.

2) Mahabharata has really high religious connotations in India, and I don't want to start any religious debates here (or get banned for it lol).

Maid I mean when Duryodhan won her after the bet, not the disguise part.

"Daasi" and that time daas meant complete control and hence saying Pandavas betting her was more disgraceful than Duryodhan using Draupadi.

Just now, GunnerY2J said:

Maid I mean when Duryodhan won her after the bet, not the disguise part.

"Daasi" and that time daas meant complete control and hence saying Pandavas betting her was more disgraceful than Duryodhan using Draupadi.

Yup, Duryodhan insulted her, but without any right to. For reasons -

1) Draupadi was the very last bet. But before that bet, Yudhistira had already bet himself and his brothers and lost. So Pandavas had no right to bet anything at that point. But Duryodhan still demanded this farce continue, and this was pointed out by Draupadi in court, when she said that both she was her own person and no one could bet her, and the Pandavas had already lost themselves, so they had no right to bet anything further.

2) Duryodhan further insulted Draupadi, when he pointed to Draupadi and indicated his thigh, insinuating Draupadi should sit there/lie with him. This infuriated Bhima further, who vowed that he would break Duryodhan's thigh for this insult. And this was exactly what Bhima did on the last day of Mahabharat war, when he struck Duryodhan's thigh and broke it to defeat him in the mace fight. Otherwise, hitting anywhere below the navel (Including the thigh) was not considered to be honorable in a mace fight.

So yes, Kauravas spoke what they wanted and insulted Draupadi as they pleased. Pandavas could do nothing at the time. But every insult was paid for later down the line.