~The TV Shows Thread~

StormShadow

Patal lok is so overrated. Its a good show no doubt with some nice character development and great acting but there is nothing more than that to the show. I mean the main plot line is so cliched.

Hell Sacred games S1 was just so much better.

4 minutes ago, Cash said:

Patal lok is so overrated. Its a good show no doubt with some nice character development and great acting but there is nothing more than that to the show. I mean the main plot line is so cliched.

Exactly my thought. Like the plot didn't go anywhere and the ending was really weak, to the point where the whole show didn't make any sense. 

Great characterization and acting by everyone though. 

7/10

Still have to see last 2 episodes. However the 7 episodes I have seen so far have been underwhelming. Action is nil, thrill is nil, it's just carrying on strong acting from the cast. Don't know why people hyped it so much on many forums.

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk

Still have to see last 2 episodes. However the 7 episodes I have seen so far have been underwhelming. Action is nil, thrill is nil, it's just carrying on strong acting from the cast. Don't know why people hyped it so much on many forums.

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk

Druapadi laughing : Andhe ka Putra andha

(Her maid says this in the new one and Draupadi herself in the old one - both being very disrespectful)

While pandavas laughed whole heartedly as well on him when he falls into the water in their palace where duryodhan was a guest.

This was before the game of dice.

Maybe another serial addition ?

Not justifying anyone though.

Edited by GunnerY2J

1 hour ago, GunnerY2J said:

Druapadi laughing : Andhe ka Putra andha

(Her maid says this in the new one and Draupadi herself in the old one - both being very disrespectful)

While pandavas laughed whole heartedly as well on him when he falls into the water in their palace where duryodhan was a guest.

This was before the game of dice.

Maybe another serial addition ?

Not justifying anyone though.

Draupadi saying it was writer's (tv serial) imagination but Pandavas laughing at him was real. This event shouldn't be used to justify duryodhana's action, we see many such actions happening during family functions or in our day to day lives and unless someone sustains injuries we all tend to have a good laugh about it. 

1 minute ago, KnackChap said:

Draupadi saying it was writer's (tv serial) imagination but Pandavas laughing at him was real. This event shouldn't be used to justify duryodhana's action, we see many such actions happening during family functions or in our day to day lives and unless someone sustains injuries we all tend to have a good laugh about it. 

Yes, not justifying anything.

But cannot be compared to present scenario at all, it is definitely a big deal for royalty and when princes are humiliated and laughed in front of everyone (including maids and servants, guards and dwarpaals, etc) 

People in those times will murder for such insults and start wars.

Some king of England in started a war when he lost a friendly game of wrestling and was laughed at - just an example I seen somewhere.

10 minutes ago, GunnerY2J said:

Yes, not justifying anything.

But cannot be compared to present scenario at all, it is definitely a big deal for royalty and when princes are humiliated and laughed in front of everyone (including maids and servants, guards and dwarpaals, etc) 

Duryodhana's meltdown in Mahabharat is Dwapar Yug's  version of "Jaanta hai mera baap kaun hai" or this.....

LividConsciousCondor-size_restricted.gif

• Haha 1

Paatal Lok

This show is incredible. The first line and the first scene set it up. The main character tells us about the three loks (swarg, dharti, and paatal) of India and when the constable tries to stop the drunk man beating his wife in a slum, the wife retaliates and tells the constable to FO. We do not understand them. We do not understand paatal. 

The show starts off as a mystery and investigative thriller, and turns beautifully into a glimpse of the two contrasting worlds. It is more about how and why it happened than what happened. It shows India. It shows the Indian-ness of India's gutters. 

Swarg: the shining, admired, beautiful, wanted, projective, rulers. Rulers who can annoyed equally about the grass in their lawns or the low TRP of their channels. The face. Their motivation is power. This is the world of men. 

Paatal: the ugly. The wretched. Unwanted. The underbelly. Their motivation is survival. This is the world of insects. 

Insects survive on the will of men. 

PL navigates this contrast exceptionally. Most scenes alternate in sequence between the two worlds. In one where children are getting high by smelling a dosed rag to be able to bear their life, the next is an ostentatious media awards night. These worlds co-exist, mostly intertwined, interdependent, like the human body. The face can't survive without the a**hole, and vice-versa. But nobody thinks about the a**hole, unless it stops handling sh*t like it was supposed to. 

This show is meant for us, of people of the normal world, who have a prime membership, and can read. The names of the episodes,  some of which are in English, give this away. The show doesn't really spend any time showing Dharti Lok. It is not about us. 

The sets and locations appear unbelievably authentic. The pind felt like the pind. The village feels like the village. And the people appear as if they belong. That is hard to do on screen.

All characters have detailed multiple elements that they have to juggle. All side characters, from the Europe toting East Delhi gay builder-developer to the regional political leader, to the thick lady constable are superb. Actors who have one scene are  the characters. The performances are outstanding. If India had an Emmy's, this show's cast would take like all of them.  

With a show like this, it is extremely difficult to not fall into the social commentary pitfall. To not be preachy. To not be "Pseudo left-liberal type". This show mostly doesn't do that. It mostly doesn't drag. PL shows some of the most horrific things imaginable. But what made me like this show so much was the realisation that these things probably happen, and they probably happen nearby. In the edges of the bell curve. In adjacent loks. Not infrequently. I could realise this because of the way those things are presented. They don't feel embellished. They don't feel exaggerated. It made me feel thankful. It made me laugh, and punched me in the gut.

Favourite scenes:

Spoiler

When haathi finally breaks, goes on a long built-up frustration-release adrenaline-fueled tirade, which starts by him slapping his wife, beating the living daylight out of the goons that hurt his son, then alpha-bitching about how the system, and everything else around is f**king f**ked, and stops short with the wife slapping him back, outside their house, on the street, right when he arrives back. Haathi singh elevated to hero and slapped back down to earth in one epic sequence. 

Spoiler

Tope Singh's background, with bund paad deni by Prabhdeep

Favourite line: Yeh system jo hai na Chaudhary, door se dekhne mein sada-gala kachre ka dher diktat hai, lekin andar ghus ke samjhoge na, well-oiled machinery hai. Har purzey ko malum hai usey kya karna hai. 

Favourite performance: Jaideep Alhawat (Haathi)

Favourite character: Shaw-vitri

When man love dog, he is good man. When dog love man, he is good man. 

9/10 

• Like 4

How is Betaal Season 1, has anyone gotten around to watching it?

Started watching Homeland again. Had watched a couple of Seasons of it years back and somehow didn't continue. Re-started it and this is going to be a long, spaced out watch. Good for the Lockdown period ahead.

Finished Betaal

Loved it totally. Dont know why its not getting good reviews :ko:

The Gore and effects didnt look fake. Proper stuff this. Story was very well done. Setting n atmosphere was fantastic. Mybe eyes could have been better :P

The lead actor didnt really connect it much but still it was decent. The village girl steals the show here. Katekar delivered again. 

Maza aa gya. 

4 hours ago, Black_Hawk said:

How is Betaal Season 1, has anyone gotten around to watching it?

Started watching Homeland again. Had watched a couple of Seasons of it years back and somehow didn't continue. Re-started it and this is going to be a long, spaced out watch. Good for the Lockdown period ahead.

I binged it over the weekend. Strictly Ok, borderline underwhelming. Starts really interesting, but just loses the essence somewhere, Kind of like Resident evil series did with RE6.

But you can definitely give it a try.