~The TV Shows Thread~

StormShadow

22 hours ago, Mr. Comingle said:

It’s a really faithful adaptation of the comics [except the forced diversity]. I’m glad Neil Gaiman was involved. 

Haven't read the comics, so no idea who all were altered. But having the author work closely with the showrunner is very good for the series. I doubt he'd have allowed for a change if it didn't matter much.

I know they tried to get Tom Ellis for lucifer but his Lucy has gone through a character transformation in his series and wouldn't have been a good fit here.

Edited by gecko89

9 minutes ago, Mr. Comingle said:

Very weird changes. Like it was John Constantine in the comics which got changed to a lesbian female. Rose Walker was white who is now black who has a gay room mate. None of these are too egregious other than the replacement of John Constantine but it does feel like ticking off on a D&I checklist.

WTF! 

I was looking forward to seeing Constantine on the show. I remember even reading somewhere that Matt Ryan might be returning.

18 minutes ago, Mr. Comingle said:

Very weird changes. Like it was John Constantine in the comics which got changed to a lesbian female. Rose Walker was white who is now black who has a gay room mate. None of these are too egregious other than the replacement of John Constantine but it does feel like ticking off on a D&I checklist.

Pff, and I thought Johanna was some alternate female version from the comics. They could have used Matt or even Keanu for present day John. 

9 hours ago, Mr. Comingle said:

Wtf they replaced John Constantine with some female :rofl:

Just checked it's Johanna Constantine. :mellow:

Edited by Big Boss
  • Confused 1

On 8/9/2022 at 9:55 PM, Big Boss said:

Thanks for discussing Reacher here guys. Saw first episode and liked it. Finally a protagonist who actually looks like he can kick some a*s and kicks it too. Perfect casting.

Completed watching Reacher. It is great adaptation of the book although some changes were little annoying. Overall great TV show. 

Spoiler

I wanted to see Kliner Jr death as in books but it turned out differently in the show

• Like 1

I was just about to start Reacher as well. For some reason, random clips of it kept getting recommended to me in my YouTube recommendations. I saw the first episodes prison clip and said, bam, that is exactly what I need. It's great to see Alan Ritchson in this badarse role. He was hilarious as Thad in Blue Mountain State and that's the last role I can associate for him and probably from the movie Wedding Ringer. So that's a massive change. :P

On 8/10/2022 at 2:07 PM, Mr. Comingle said:

On 8/10/2022 at 2:22 PM, STICK3Rboy said:

WTF! 

I was looking forward to seeing Constantine on the show. I remember even reading somewhere that Matt Ryan might be returning.

18 hours ago, Big Boss said:

Wtf they replaced John Constantine with some female :rofl:

Just checked it's Johanna Constantine. :mellow:

This one is not a Diversity Checklist. Netflix did not have the rights to John Constantine. HBO Max had the rights to John Constantine, and J.J. Abrams is developing a John Constantine show for HBO Max. Seems they are making a Justice League Dark show and John Constantine is going to be a central character in it. Still from all reports, the story is the same as the comics. I liked the portrayal of Constantine (and the sarcastic name "Johanna" which is just a female version of John and kind of a F.U. to  HBO)

That said though, the Constantine in this one was not that "Untrustworthy". I've seen other portrayals, like in DCeased comics - where John Constantine was a straight up a****hole. Here, the girl (and guy in comics I guess) was pretty friendly and trust-worthy.

https://dmtalkies.com/john-constantine-replaced-by-johanna-in-netflix-the-sandman-2022/

https://geekositymag.com/rights-issues-prevented-john-constantine-on-netflix-the-sandman/

Edited by roun90
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, roun90 said:

This one is not a Diversity Checklist. Netflix did not have the rights to John Constantine. HBO Max had the rights to John Constantine, and J.J. Abrams is developing a John Constantine show for HBO Max. Seems they are making a Justice League Dark show and John Constantine is going to be a central character in it. Still from all reports, the story is the same as the comics. I liked the portrayal of Constantine (and the sarcastic name "Johanna" which is just a female version of John and kind of a F.U. to  HBO)

That said though, the Constantine in this one was not that "Untrustworthy". I've seen other portrayals, like in DCeased comics - where John Constantine was a straight up a****hole. Here, the girl (and guy in comics I guess) was pretty friendly and trust-worthy.

https://dmtalkies.com/john-constantine-replaced-by-johanna-in-netflix-the-sandman-2022/

https://geekositymag.com/rights-issues-prevented-john-constantine-on-netflix-the-sandman/

Makes sense then. Thanks for clearing this up. 

1 hour ago, roun90 said:

I liked the portrayal of Constantine (and the sarcastic name "Johanna" which is just a female version of John and kind of a F.U. to  HBO)

Johanna Constantine is actually a character in the comics. She's John's ancestor.

If they've replaced John with Johanna, I wonder what they're going to do with her actual story.

I guess I'll just have to watch the show.

3 hours ago, dylanjosh said:

Decided on a whim to watch Hawkeye. I'm really enjoying it. Very down to earth personal series. 

Finished it. Surprised by how much i liked it.

The character arc's are great, nice character developement by the end and great relationship building between Kate and Clint. I think Kate might be my favourite of the younger group of heroes.

I liked that the scope is small and not some universe-ending sh*t like Ms Marvel. Tony Dalton was a delight and it felt like he brought the charisma of Lalo Salamanca here too.  

Spoiler

Nice to see Fisk again. 

Only negative is that I wish they would stop with the Marvel quirkiness of every character, spitting one-liners every 2 seconds. Hopefully the new Daredevil show is not like that.

Edited by dylanjosh

9 minutes ago, 0verlord said:

Sandman - 9/10

pretty good s01, superb soundtrack  but next seasons should be much more interesting and action packed 

Ah, it's a TV series now, wow! Loved the audiobook, will check this one out. Thanks.