~The TV Shows Thread~

StormShadow

Psych. One of the better, more hilarious shows that's going around right now, since Heroes, The Simpsons, etc. have just about finished their last seasons' run a couple of months back. Psych sees Shawn Spencer, a guy with brilliant powers of observation and deduction actually work for the police department by, wait for it, posing as a psychic to solve cases. Think Sherlock Holmes meets George of the Jungle! Its currently running Season 02, while Season 01 is just about getting wrapped up on Star World I think.

Another great show that's not on Star World or any other Indian channel is SciFi's Eureka. Brilliant sci-fi show about one normal sheriff trying to adjust and work in a not-so-ordinary town. Definitely one of the most enjoyable shows around these days.

LOST kinda went lost after the first season. Sure, Season 02 and Season 03 had some great moments, but the initial oomph has certainly worn off, as the tale twists and turns every which way, leading me to suspect that this will go the way of the X-Files and after a great run, will end in absolute stupidity as well. Season 01 was just brilliant, with the story focusing so much on the characters and the pains they had all gone through before the crash and how they were reassessing their lives now that they were on the island. But meh, I hope ABC isn't stupid enough to milk this to a point when people are just begging to put the poor show out of its misery. Wind up the story, LOST, or at least stop doing the insanely frustrating "one step forward and two steps back" crap that you are doing. :rolleyes:

The X-Files ran awesome right up to its end, I was one of those people who were initially upset with Mulder's disappearance and Scully's baby and the whole John Doggett / Monica Reyes angle that it took on post-season 07, but Robert Patrick did a really fine job replacing Mulder. But with the whole Samantha Mulder, the Syndicate and the CSM issues just not going anywhere, but circling around and around and around, it finally came down to the point that at the end of Season 09, the series on the WORST POSSIBLE episode, "The Truth" which played out like a sick, f***ing joke and a manufactured insult to all X-Philes. I mean, what the hell was that, the court deposition with all the "dead" witnesses showing up, including Deep Throat and the Lone Gunmen. They completely lost focus, didn't know what they were doing and how to end it, so they botched it up big time, leaving a very sour taste in the mouth for religiously following the show for so many years. LOST is heading towards that same mistake as far as I can see, and I mirror Stephen's King warning to ABC to go out with some dignity, while there's still some left. So, its best if they get their act together and wind up in the next season, because frankly, with a thousand new shows coming, you cannot afford to keep beating a dead donkey and expecting to hit a jackpot, which is what Fox, ABC and NBC are really, really (in)famous for.

Entourage Rocks !!

The latest episode stars Anna Faris and she has a run-in with Eric. One thing leads to another.... (not what you think) and .....

lets just say that vince is not happy.

And Turtle is at his brilliant best when his favourite source of chlorophyll is threatened.

• Like 1

Simpsons, yes, except for Season 18. To quote Jeff Albertson, "WORST..SEASON...EVER!" And the way the movie screwed up, I am fast beginning to think the show has grown out of itself. Time to put the dog down in a humane way.

On the other hand, Futurama was, is, and will be, MUCH better than the Simpsons any given day of the century, unless of course, they don't screw up the four upcoming Direct-to-DVD movies. I STILL can't get over the fact that Jhn DiMaggio did the voice of Marcus Fenix. Everytime I play Gears, I think "HEY! BENDER! ;)"

Simpsons has a certain satirical quality that imbibed political undertones through slapstick and stupid physical comedy. Southpark has a similar theme but chooses to voice its political messages in overt, often unappetizing and unpleasant ways which detracts from the quality of the show's writing and the humour. Futurama is amazingly well written and genuinly funny, but doesn't have the lasting appeal of the Simpsons because it circumvents most of the political and sociological issues of the time and hence doesn't strike any chords during each episode. Which is why most people will remember specific moments from episodes of the Simpsons long after they have forgotten the plot of the episode of Futurama that they saw the previous day.

Yup, there are a lot of hot buttons that are pushed in The Simpsons which are conveniently overlooked in Futurama, but then I find that there are more memorable moments from the Simpsons than Futurama, simply because there are more episodes for the former. But when it comes to the quality of each and every episode that is aired, Futurama comes out on top, once again, probably because it, sadly, only ran for five seasons, and the writers had a lot less pressure going for them.

But to its credit, a lot of Futurama was pure satire on the political and socioeconomic aspects of modern day society as well, especially episodes like A Big Pile of Garbage, I Dated a Robot, Three Hundred Big Boys, and some overtly anti-US-warmongery sentiments in War is the H-Word. Plus, the first 10-12 seasons of the Simpsons were spectacular, but then, it started going too slapstick and too crude when it cames to its jokes and Homer transformed into a whole other person who was stupidly spiteful, even though there were a smattering of episodes where his sensitive side did shine through. Frankly though, I wish they get all the old writers back on board, including Conan O'Brien and then start fresh with the formula that made them great in the first place, instead of just going with the celebrity showoffs that's going around in the last two seasons, although I admit the Mandy Moore segment was the Simpsons at their funniest best, at least for that season.

southpark is good, but sometimes, they go overboard with their "sense of humor" ! I found episodes like "death camp of tolerance", "Mr. garrisons vagina implant" etc more corny than funny.

In that way, family guy is cool - its within limits of good humor and is really funny !