~The TV Shows Thread~

StormShadow

On 8/20/2022 at 12:42 PM, CarbonCore said:

The series ended with a whimper, nothing to talk about.

19 hours ago, Big Boss said:

Didn't like the ending but I guess it made sense. 

This. 

Not a fan of ending.  They could have gone in several different ways rather than going this way which logically and practically makes no sense for the character of Saul Goodman or for even Jimmy. There are quite a few loopholes in last parts of the series. 

9 hours ago, harsh1387 said:

This. 

Not a fan of ending.  They could have gone in several different ways rather than going this way which logically and practically makes no sense for the character of Saul Goodman or for even Jimmy. There are quite a few loopholes in last parts of the series. 

I thought the same way where Saul was supposed to be the slimy bastard he always was and will find a way out like always. But you have to look at it in a different way.

Spoiler

Going back to one of the previous episode when Jimmy contacts Kim in the present timeline over a call and Kim tells Jimmy that he should turn himself over to the Police after everything he has done and then Jimmy tells Kim that even she should turn herself in because she too is equally guilty of not so nice things. Maybe she should practice what she preaches. Guess what, she actually goes to the court and confesses to everything. She even goes to Howard's widow and comes clean to her. This at the risk of Howard's wife bringing a lawsuit against her where she could lose everything.

Later on when Jimmy is negotiating his terms of reducing sentence with the prosecutors and tries to add a 'sweetener' by providing details of Howard's death to them. But when he gets to know that Kim had already provided those details earlier, you can see his face fall. At that time, I thought he was angry at Kim for taking away this opportunity from him which he probably kept to himself for situations like this. Moreover when talking to his lawyer on the airplane when he gets to know that because of Kim's confession she might face lawsuit from Howard's widow and subsequently you see him confessing to everything in the court later on, I thought that he is just protecting Kim by taking the blame. That is why initially I thought this was a very convenient way to end everything. 

But what I did not understand then but realized later is that the Jimmy was actually in a shock when he gets to know that Kim had actually gone ahead and turned herself in. She actually followed through on Jimmy's word to practice what she preaches. That is when he realizes that it is time he gives up on the Saul Goodman alter ego and return to being Jimmy McGill. The reason why he makes Kim attend the court is because he wants her to see that he is capable of being the good person that he always was and he is atoning and turning over a new leaf from being Saul Goodman. All through the series the only thing Jimmy ever wanted was to find respect and acceptance amongst the two people he loved the most - Chuck and Kim. He knew he was a good lawyer but he was also egoistic and jealous. So he went about other ways to earn the respect which did not turn up well eventually for others and himself. But his turn at the court was his last chance at redemption in the eyes of Kim. Being Saul Goodman was probably his coping mechanism from the failures and the lives he has destroyed as Jimmy. But at the court when he defends himself as Jimmy and not Saul, that is when he has finally lets go off Saul, hence the name of the final episode 'Saul Gone'.  

This episode is as watertight as it can be and ends on a perfect note actually. There are small nudges sprinkled throughout the episode that is related to events in previous episodes or even Breaking Bad series. For example, in the final minutes of the season where Kim visits Jimmy in the prison and they light up cigarette is actually a mirror image of the first time in the series when you see both of them together sharing a puff in the garage of the HHM. There Kim takes the cigarette from Jimmy's mouth and lights it and here it is vice versa. Another one would be when Saul asks Walter about his biggest regret and for a fleeting second you can see him have a look at his watch before telling him a story about how he got cheated by his business partners. It is the same watch which Jesse gifts Walter and which Walter leaves back when goes to rescue Jesse in the last episode of Breaking Bad which tells that his biggest regret was not his son or wife but it was Jesse. There are few more stuff like this that are sprinkled thought out the episode. Of course, I have read about some of these that reinforced my belief but I do not think there is any better way to end a series.

TLDR, this was the best possible end to a series and beloved characters I think. 

Edited by R3D_D3ViL
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, R3D_D3ViL said:

I thought the same way where Saul was supposed to be the slimy bastard he always was and will find a way out like always. But you have to look at it in a different way.

Hide contents

Going back to one of the previous episode when Jimmy contacts Kim in the present timeline over a call and Kim tells Jimmy that he should turn himself over to the Police after everything he has done and then Jimmy tells Kim that even she should turn herself in because she too is equally guilty of not so nice things. Maybe she should practice what she preaches. Guess what, she actually goes to the court and confesses to everything. She even goes to Howard's widow and comes clean to her. This at the risk of Howard's wife bringing a lawsuit against her where she could lose everything.

Later on when Jimmy is negotiating his terms of reducing sentence with the prosecutors and tries to add a 'sweetener' by providing details of Howard's death to them. But when he gets to know that Kim had already provided those details earlier, you can see his face fall. At that time, I thought he was angry at Kim for taking away this opportunity from him which he probably kept to himself for situations like this. Moreover when talking to his lawyer on the airplane when he gets to know that because of Kim's confession she might face lawsuit from Howard's widow and subsequently you see him confessing to everything in the court later on, I thought that he is just protecting Kim by taking the blame. That is why initially I thought this was a very convenient way to end everything. 

But what I did not understand then but realized later is that the Jimmy was actually in a shock when he gets to know that Kim had actually gone ahead and turned herself in. She actually followed through on Jimmy's word to practice what she preaches. That is when he realizes that it is time he gives up on the Saul Goodman alter ego and return to being Jimmy McGill. The reason why he makes Kim attend the court is because he wants her to see that he is capable of being the good person that he always was and he is atoning and turning over a new leaf from being Saul Goodman. All through the series the only thing Jimmy ever wanted was to find respect and acceptance amongst the two people he loved the most - Chuck and Kim. He knew he was a good lawyer but he was also egoistic and jealous. So he went about other ways to earn the respect which did not turn up well eventually for others and himself. But his turn at the court was his last chance at redemption in the eyes of Kim. Being Saul Goodman was probably his coping mechanism from the failures and the lives he has destroyed as Jimmy. But at the court when he defends himself as Jimmy and not Saul, that is when he has finally lets go off Saul, hence the name of the final episode 'Saul Gone'.  

This episode is as watertight as it can be and ends on a perfect note actually. There are small nudges sprinkled throughout the episode that is related to events in previous episodes or even Breaking Bad series. For example, in the final minutes of the season where Kim visits Jimmy in the prison and they light up cigarette is actually a mirror image of the first time in the series when you see both of them together sharing a puff in the garage of the HHM. There Kim takes the cigarette from Jimmy's mouth and lights it and here it is vice versa. Another one would be when Saul asks Walter about his biggest regret and for a fleeting second you can see him have a look at his watch before telling him a story about how he got cheated by his business partners. It is the same watch which Jesse gifts Walter and which Walter leaves back when goes to rescue Jesse in the last episode of Breaking Bad which tells that his biggest regret was not his son or wife but it was Jesse. There are few more stuff like this that are sprinkled thought out the episode. Of course, I have read about some of these that reinforced my belief but I do not think there is any better way to end a series.

TLDR, this was the best possible end to a series and beloved characters I think. 

Yes this is perfect and I felt the same way. Just that I didn't exactly like it. But I understood that it was the best way to end the show.

16 hours ago, R3D_D3ViL said:

Reveal hidden contents

I know this theory and on the surface it looks good. However my point remains that what he did simply goes against his nature and behaviour since the inception of Breaking bad universe. Anyways, makers and writers can't satisfy everyone. They did what they thought was correct conclusion as per them. 

Will start breaking bad re-watch now. Been years and after BCS I am ready to look at it from a different perspective. 

Edited by harsh1387

3 hours ago, SuperT said:

The Last of Us Teaser:

Holy sh*t Pedro Pascal as Joel is fantastic casting. 

Not a fan of the girl right now. Doesn't look like Ellie at all. But as long as performance is good i don't mind. 

Also LOL didn't realise until now both are GoT actors 

House of the dragon was good, except for some shockingly graphic scenes, which i couldn't watch and had to fast fwd them.  IMO, just like it's predecessor - GoT, it's not a family watch kind of show.

But, neither wheel of time nor witcher has the kind of vibes this show has.  HBO seems to have figured out the craft of making fantasy shows like how Marvel does superheroes !

Edited by Ne0

2 hours ago, Ne0 said:

But, neither wheel of time nor witcher has the kind of vibes this show has.  HBO seems to have figured out the craft of making fantasy shows like how Marvel does superheroes !

Yes it's nice to see these kind of production values again. Really unmatchable. 

3 hours ago, Ne0 said:

House of the dragon was good, except for some shockingly graphic scenes, which i couldn't watch and had to fast fwd them.  IMO, just like it's predecessor - GoT, it's not a family watch kind of show.

Witcher seems to have a very "flat" aesthetic from what I remember. GoT is definitely more fantasy contrasty. 

5 hours ago, Ne0 said:

The main funda is you have to care about the story, and respect the source material. House of Dragon is faithful to it's Source Book (Fire and Blood). GoT was good when it was faithful to it's source books. As soon as it ran out - we for GoT Season 6 and 7. Peter Jackson's LOTR movies was the same - hence they became timeless. Hobbit Movies were like GOT Seasons 6 and 7 though.

Netflix tries a bit. They "loosely adapt" a show - inserting their own beats, while somewhat staying true to source material. They become mediocre in the process.

Amazon does not even try and pretend to respect the source material. They think they are "Master Story-Tellers". They just buy the rights to beloved and amazing IPs and tell their own story with caricatures of the Source Novel's characters. They think a billion $ CGI Budget will fix all issues. Hence, their shows "Technically Look Good", but very artificial CGIed mess. But the story itself is a massive flop, utterly forgettable and not worth it at all. Wheel of Time fell prey to this and I expect Rings of Power to become a massive flop as well.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, roun90 said:

Amazon does not even try and pretend to respect the source material. They think they are "Master Story-Tellers". They just buy the rights to beloved and amazing IPs and tell their own story with caricatures of the Source Novel's characters. They think a billion $ CGI Budget will fix all issues. Hence, their shows "Technically Look Good", but very artificial CGIed mess. But the story itself is a massive flop, utterly forgettable and not worth it at all. Wheel of Time fell prey to this and I expect Rings of Power to become a massive flop as well.

Its weird because they did well with The Boys and Invincible - both deviate from the Source Material but they did it very well. 

I haven't seen Reacher but apparently thats also good 

Edited by dylanjosh

Really loved the first episode of House of the Dragon.

Solid setup with some very interesting characters, some memorable moments, and some intriguing family/political drama. It made me realize how much I've missed Westeros and just really well made dark fantasy in general.

Matt Smith and the girl who played Rhaenyra were the standouts for me.

Excited to see the rest of the story unfold.

I f**king hate the weekly episode bullshit though.

• Like 1