Backward compatibilty issue of PS2

shaiTaaNi billi

"backup" PS1 games wont work on any PS2, even a modded one.

What!!! Dude...who told you that ? You CAN play backup/pirated PSone games on a PS2. All you need to do is set your modchip to "PSone mode". By default, all PS2 modchips are always set to "PS2 mode" and will not boot a PSone game by just inserting it (unless of course if you have a PS2 modchip which will autodetect the type of game put in on startup).

I have a Magic V 50k modchip installed in my PS2, and for putting it in "PSone mode", I have to keep pressing the power button until the blue eject light comes on. Once its set to "PSone mode", it boots any PSone games just fine :)

So Aman, try out that method. When you're turning on your PS2, keep pressing the power button until the blue eject light comes on and then release it. Put the PSone disc in, and it should boot up just fine :sign_offtopic: If this doesn't work, then you need to find out whats the method to put your modchip in PSone mode. Google for it with your modchip's name. If you don't know which modchip you got, then you're out of luck.

Edit: Aman, from what I know, modders here in India are using a modchip called Super 7, which is quite cheap and works flawlessly, and there is a very high chance that you might have that same exact chip. I did a google search and found out how to put a Super 7 modchip into "PSone mode". Here...check it out...

Super 7 Modchip - Play all kinds of PS1 games and DVD movies :

1. Press Reset button, then open cover and insert PS1 CD disc or audio CD.

2. Close cover and press Reset button twice to play game or listen music.

Hope this helps :)

OMFG KG teh mod god!

Also a question, does the Apple chip have a PSOne mode?

kthxbye:).

Lol...hahahaha. Am not a mod god or anything like that. I don't do them personally. Its just that I get my research done before I jump into anything, and PS2 is one of those things that I've "jumped into" :P just like the Wii and PSP :)

I did a google on Apple modchips, and I came to know from their official website that they have many variations to the original Apple modchip, most probably due to making them compatible with the various versions of PS2 hardware that Sony released, but AFAIK, the actual functionality of the chip should remain the same, so here you go....

Apple Chip - PSX games

-Press EJECT button to switch on the machine.

-Insert PSX game in tray, then press and hold RESET button to switch off machine.

-Now hold the RESET button to start up your machine. Only release the RESET button after 4-5 seconds (ie hold RESET until the first “Sony Computer Entertainment" words fade away).

-Your PSX game should now boot

(If it shows the PSX game as an audio cd. This means that you didn't hold the RESET button long enough. So repeat PSX loading instructions but hold the RESET button longer this time round when booting the machine)

Here's the official website if you're interested :)

http://www.apple-chip.com/

Check it out and let me know how it went :)

"backup" PS1 games wont work on any PS2, even a modded one.

What!!! Dude...who told you that ? You CAN play backup/pirated PSone games on a PS2. All you need to do is set your modchip to "PSone mode". B

Playing Vagrant Story on a modded PS2 as I type this.

This is a great find. You sir, are a genius.

I can confirm that this method works.

Super 7 Modchip - Play all kinds of PS1 games and DVD movies :

1. Press Reset button, then open cover and insert PS1 CD disc or audio CD.

2. Close cover and press Reset button twice to play game or listen music.

Great. Thanx for confirming it Arun :P

Guys, a piece of advice. Use really good quality media when you're burning/playing PSone games on your PS2 as from my knowledge, a PS2's laser has to work hard to read CDs as compared to DVDs. You can check it out by putting your hand on your PS2 when its reading from a CD. The drive would be spinning a whole lot faster than it would for DVD games :) If you use shitty media, then you'll worn out your PS2's laser a whole lot faster.

Also, those "factory made" PSone HK Silvers that we get in the gray market are considered good quality, so if you have those, then you're good to go :)

Archived