The Price Is Wrong

Veteran journalist John Walker explains why used games aren't the source of all the industry's woes - the problem is the price-tag.

Recently within these pages, Mr Richard Browne explained what he believed is the real cost of the pre-owned games market. A doom-ridden tale of woe, explaining how re-selling a game has led to the death of variety, the loss of the AA market, and the refusal of publishers to take risks. There was an unfortunate mistake in the diatribe. When he used the phrase, "Of course, in reality it's pure conjecture without any evidence," he failed to attach it to any of his own arguments. Because there isn't a single scrap of evidence or reason supporting his complaints.

Browne's soothsaying is an attempt to lay the blame of every major failing in the games industry at the foot of the consumer (although pretending he's blaming the retailer, who are of course only responding to their customers). But those consumers are exercising just about the only right they have left when it comes to games ownership.

I'd suggest that the lack of any evidence is because the pre-owned game market has caused none of this, but rather the blame lays with the seemingly limitless hubris of the publishers.

To read the article completely go here - Source

this author- :wub: man ki baat bol di isne toh :)

Do not repost the entire article here. Only an excerpt from the opening paragraph and the link to the source.

What's the reason for it ??

I have seen such rule in many other forums too

Is it related to some IP rights or something ??

I think Mt explained it well somewhere...it was something to do with respecting that sites article and linking it so people visit that website to read the whole article...anyways if you search and find out post the link too..i forgot what exactly he said....

What PS said below plus IP related concerns.

I think Mt explained it well somewhere...it was something to do with respecting that sites article and linking it so people visit that website to read the whole article...anyways if you search and find out post the link too..i forgot what exactly he said....

there is no attempt to prove that games bought second-hand would automatically have been a full-price sale were they not available. Instead, it's just declared to be the case, no matter how obviously flawed such a notion is, and then acted upon.

I have bought many games off IVG trade/FTS forum, which I would definitely not have bought at full price.

Plus what about people selling SEALED copies of games which are not available right now at Higher rates on ebay? Shouldn't the publishers crack a whip on them OR demand additional cuts from them :P

I remember someone was selling Batman Arkham asylum classic (not the gOTY) edition for xbox 360 @ 2000 INR and yes someone did buy it, coz Flipkart and nextworld did not have stocks of AA for months.

EDIT: MRP of Batman AA xbox360 is 1500 INR and was the same when this person sold his copy.

I got mine @ 580INR from IVG; a roughed up scratched disc but was able to install it without any issues to the HDD

I Hate the huge price tags , no matter what people say that devs need money n all , but lets take an example of GTA , it gets released on all platforms , GTA's PC Price tag is like Rs.499-999 & PS3 & X360 Tag is like Rs.2499-2999 , why so huge prices for consoles , PS3 in particular in recent times gets the highest price tags with SSX & Fifa Street priced at Rs.2799 while it's X360 Counterparts had a tag of Rs.2399 & why the extra 400 for ps3 just coz it got mt. fuji & the addidas fifa team respectively , well i got news for you Devs , i don't want the costly sh*t so make another version without it , or give people DLC Code at the time of purchase so people can buy the game for Rs.2399 & get the DLC if they want for Rs.400 or so [ optional ]

^^ The gap is very big only in india , because Console games are imported while PC are manufactured here locally (Infact i think india is one of the cheapest places to buy PC games right now)... Also PC games tend to be 10-20$ cheaper in general because you dont have to pay Sony,MS,Ninty extra charge.

Archived