Xbox 360 or Playstation 3. Buying guide.

Xbox 360

250px-Xbox-360-Consoles-Infobox.png

The Xbox 360 is the second video game console developed by and produced for Microsoft and the successor to the Xbox. The Xbox 360 competes with Sony's PlayStation 3 and Nintendo's Wii as part of the seventh generation of video game consoles. As of April 19, 2012, 67.2 million Xbox 360 consoles have been sold worldwide

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360

A list of ALL xbox 360 games.

List of best selling xbox 360 games.

Pros of having an xbox 360 (please note, this is subjective):

-Performance of most multiplatform titles are better like GTA, Red Dead Redemption, Skyrim, Bayonetta etc.

-Better controller in knowledge of some.

-Better online experience.

-XBLA.

-cheaper than the cheapest ps3.

-can listen to music whilst playing games.

Cons:

-Paid online.

-Additional hdds are very costly, this can be bypassed by using usb drives for saving but its a chaotic mess to manage all those sticks.

-Small List of Exclusives.

-No Blu Ray player, as a result some games have more than one disc.

-ALL xbox games are NOT region free, whereas PS3 games are.

Useful tips:

Xbox 360.

You get a month of XBL gold for a new account you create on the console. You can do this three times for three different gamertags.

Often letting Xbox gold run out is cheaper than getting a years worth of XBL gold. You get an option to renew your Gold account for 100 Rs for two months or 50 Rs for one month. This option seems to be timeless. Been going on for a year now.

You can enable background downloads from the settings section of your console. This way it will download stuff even when its turned off.

You can queue up downloads from the Xbox 360 website. Then just have someone turn on the console and turn it off in like 2 minutes. Useful for queuing up demos and games if

you are in the office and you dont have to walk someone at home through finding stuff on the marketplace.

Most 2.5mm headsets work fine with Xbox 360. You dont have to shell out for an official Xbox 360 one.

You can use any run of the mill USB pen drive on the 360. Not sure about the size limit. Its either 16 or 32 GB.

You can use a fat Xbox 360 HDD with the slim if you dont mind opening the case.

IVG Xbox 360 FAQ.

Xbox India website.

Playstation 3

250px-PS3Versions.png

The PlayStation 3, officially abbreviated as PS3.) is the third home video game console produced by Sony Computer Entertainment and the successor to the PlayStation 2 as part of the PlayStation series. The PlayStation 3 competes with Microsoft's Xbox 360 and Nintendo's Wii as part of the seventh generation of video game consoles. It was first released on November 11, 2006, in Japan, with international markets following shortly thereafter.

Major features of the console include its unified online gaming service, the PlayStation Network its multimedia capabilities, connectivity with the PlayStation Portable, and its use of the Blu-ray Disc as its primary storage medium

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3

A list of ALL PlayStation 3 games.

Pros of having a ps3:

-Blu Ray player.

-easily changeable HDD.

-Free online (you can get paid subscription to playstaion plus membership but its NOT required to play online).

-Huge list of exclusives.

-IVG is a ps centric community, hence you can make friends here on the forum and play with them online, multiplatform games specially have a big, way bigger than xbox, community for ps3 here.

Cons:

-most multi platform titles perform poorly.

-no option of listening music during gaming in most, if not all titles.

-costlier than the cheapest xbox 360.

-controller is not as ergonomically good as xbox 360's.

-Huge update times, particularly game updates.

-Horrible after sales support, worse than microsoft's in India.

Tips for ps3 -

Upgrading your hard disk is easy and cheap , doesn't even void warranty unlike what many people say .

A simple RCA to aux converter , will allow you to use any 3.5mm headphone for FULL sound at as little as 10rs

Pressing triangle while over a pen drive to browse its files ( According to the media you are on you can run the files ) , pressing x will only show those files in the required media folder in pen drive ,,

PS3 has an optical input so it can also run 7.1 surround sound systems which 360 can't

any pen drive works for backing up saves and media but it has to be FAT32 , not NTFS

You can use ps3proxy to download stuff on your pc and then copy it to your ps3 if your wi fi is slow.

If you have ps+ , you get new free games every month and sometimes mid month too.

The store is updated every Tuesday .

Ps+ users can auto back up their save files on cloud by changing it in the settings .

The browser , even though bad , has flash and JavaScript both so works well with most PC websites .

IVG PS3 FAQ.

Playstation India website.

List of must have titles for Xbox 360:

#AAA-

Halo series

Gears of war series

Forza series

Shadow Complex

Super Meat Boy

Mass Effect

The Witcher II

#AA-

Fable series

Crackdown Series

Condemned

Alan Wake

Project Gotham Racing

List of must have titles for Playstation 3:

# AAA-

God of war 3

Uncharted series

Ratchet and clank series

Killzone 2

Journey

Gran Turismo 5

Metal Gear Solid 4

#AA-

inFamous series

Resistance series

Little Big Planet series

Yakuza

Motorstorm

Heavy Rain

F*ck Resistance.

i know its a f**k all series but its got good scores and people specially PSf**s will question why i have not placed a game revered so highly by interwebz

mass effect comes on PS3 too :scratchchin:

not the original

Metal Gear Solid 4, Little Big Planet, Heavy Rain, Motorstorm, Yakuza must be mentioned.

Also ICO and SoTC collection is one awesome exclusive.

Also, if condemned is mentioned, then Siren Blood Curse is the one for PS3.

PSN titles like Journey, Flower, Dead Nation MUST be mentioned.

Good stuff nemo.

TBH I think you should just leave the list of games as it is. Otherwise you will have every person on the forum telling you to add his favorite game in there somewhere. :doh:

Useful tips section would be nice too. Of the top of my head.

Xbox 360.

You get a month of XBL gold for a new account you create on the console. You can do this three times for three different gamertags.

Often letting Xbox gold run out is cheaper than getting a years worth of XBL gold. You get an option to renew your Gold account for 100 Rs for two months or 50 Rs for one month. This option seems to be timeless. Been going on for a year now. :P

You can enable background downloads from the settings section of your console. This way it will download stuff even when its turned off.

You can queue up downloads from the Xbox 360 website. Then just have someone turn on the console and turn it off in like 2 minutes. Useful for queuing up demos and games if you are in the office and you dont have to walk someone at home through finding stuff on the marketplace.

Most 2.5mm headsets work fine with Xbox 360. You dont have to shell out for an official Xbox 360 one.

You can use any run of the mill USB pen drive on the 360. Not sure about the size limit. Its either 16 or 32 GB.

You can use a fat Xbox 360 HDD with the slim if you dont mind opening the case.

Someone can throw up some useful stuff for the PS3 as well.

Edit Added a couple of more things.

Nemo you can connect External USB HDD to the xbox as well , though i dont know if theres any size limit or something.You can easily access your digital content on any xbox by signing in to your gamertag. Although i think this is possible on ps3 now too? , since you can just go online and deactivate the ps3 you arent using.

Pro of ps3 - Everything is standardised , so power cable ( normal 3 pin pc/tv/monitor one ) , hdd ( 2.5 inch laptop hdd) and controller cable ( normal mini usb ) are all normal ones so they are REALLY cheap ..

Ps3 exclusives have really good graphics too..

Con of 360-

A new power cable , controller cable , hdd will set you back by a HUGE amount..

And the multiplatform point isn't that big a deal as you still can play the game but PS3 exclusives is , they are HUGE in number , and is music that big a deal ? The only games I prefer my own music over soundtrack is racing games and most of those give the option ( in the menu , not through XMB though )

Tips for ps3 -

Upgrading your hard disk is easy and cheap , doesn't even void warranty unlike what many people say .

A simple RCA to aux converter , will allow you to use any 3.5mm headphone for FULL sound at as little as 10rs

Pressing triangle while over a pen drive to browse its files ( According to the media you are on you can run the files ) , pressing x will only show those files in the required media folder in pen drive ,,

PS3 has an optical input so it can also run 7.1 surround sound systems which 360 can't ...

any pen drive works for backing up saves and media but it has to be FAT32 , not NTFS ..

You can use ps3proxy to download stuff on your pc and then copy it to your ps3 if your wi fi is slow ( can someone link the ivg guide ? )

If you have ps+ , you get new free games every month ( 100% you will get at least 2 new ) and sometimes mid month too ..

The store is updated every Tuesday .

Ps+ users can auto back up their save files on cloud by changing it in the settings .

The browser , even though bad , has flash and JavaScript both so works well with most PC websites .

don't remember any more :(

Also afty , 3.5mm headphones or 2.5mm ... Do you get full sound ??

Holy sh*t why didn't any of my spaces show up ?

Edit:- if I put two enters , one shows up

Also you shave said XBLA as if ps store is bad , ps store has amazing games like journey , flower , fat princess , pixel junk series too...

PS3 has an optical input so it can also run 7.1 surround sound systems which 360 can't ...

I dont know about 7.1 but 360 does have optical out , I have used it on my 5.1.

Edit : And yes i just checked, Any external HDD works as long as its FAT32 . Best part is you can take your digital games anywhere you want , without having to download it on any other 360.

Archived