All of Crytek's Future Games Will be Free-to-Play

Crytek is moving its entire output to free-to-play games and will no longer produce traditional packaged titles.

That’s according to the company’s CEO Cevat Yerli. He said that the studio will make the transition will happen once it gets its current projects out of the way. They’re currently working on Crysis 3, Homefront 2 and the Xbox 360-exclusive, Ryse.

Yerli believes that the current packaged games model of DLC and premium services like Call of Duty: Elite are "milking customers to death.”

“Right now we are in the transitional phase of our company, transitioning from packaged goods games into an entirely free-to-play experience,” said Yerli

“What this entails is that our future, all the new games that we’re working on, as well new projects, new platforms and technologies, are designed around free-to-play and online, with the highest quality development.”

Source

Are you guys Interested If CRYTEK becomes free to play? Imagine, buying weapons in Crysis 4 for the Single Player :scratchchin:

I'd love to see him try this and see what the outcome was. Almost all of top 10 grossing games in iOS App Store are regularly free to play games with in-app purchases.

Edit though the purchases are very easy to carry out, just one tap stuff so your gameplay isn't interrupted much.

Looks like Crytek is reading my posts, then. Free-to-Play with extremely high charges for subscription is the future for sure. Every CEO thinks that is the only way out for now, so I won't blame this dude. Although, this method will fail so hard soon enough, as there is no common sense to how much will they charge for in-game purchases. Acti will definitely start similar thing and charge 15$ for every single level of COD SP. People will act like whiny bitches, and then continue to buy, for next few years. Cue, 2017, and industry will be looking at another recession, with people only playing for free, and never ever bothering with even single purchase.

Archived