Playstation Network Sales

Blueelvis_RoXXX

9 minutes ago, gecko89 said:

I understand that.

But, the previous post implies that if I buy a MW physical disk, I cannot stick it into a console and start playing only the Single Player Campaign.

I get that the Multiplayer is unplayable without the patch or any update downloaded first, but the campaign is locked out because some patch is needed ?!? When did that happen before?

AFAIK, CoD WWII also had that requirement. I have experienced that first-hand. Stupidity, if you ask me. The moment you enter the disc, you are asked to download the patch. If you load the disc while you are completely offline, you only get to the start-screen and the game tries to connect to the internet.

I'm not much of a technical guy but somehow, it seems that the games that leave the factory are coded to run only after checking if there's any patch installed or not, I guess.

High-level incompetence on the developers part, if you ask me.

10 minutes ago, VelivolusDas said:

AFAIK, CoD WWII also had that requirement. I have experienced that first-hand. Stupidity, if you ask me. The moment you enter the disc, you are asked to download the patch. If you load the disc while you are completely offline, you only get to the start-screen and the game tries to connect to the internet.

I'm not much of a technical guy but somehow, it seems that the games that leave the factory are coded to run only after checking if there's any patch installed or not, I guess.

High-level incompetence on the developers part, if you ask me.

7 minutes ago, adity said:

Yeah a few games do this. Even driveclub iirc. You literally can't start the game unless you download the patch. 

Wow, I had no clue about this. Didn't buy any of those games physical.

It's f**ked up. Either they start burning games to disk before they've gone gold or some other weird reason behind it.

Do they at least advertise on the game cover saying day one patch is mandatory to play even the single player campaign ?

7 minutes ago, gecko89 said:

Do they at least advertise on the game cover saying day one patch is mandatory to play even the single player campaign ?

Yes.

Still don't think it's justified, though. A dev who has just shipped a game, the least it should be able to do, is play through the entire campaign of the game. I understand there might be bugs, which a day-one patch can sort out, but the game not running without a patch at all, that's insane.

8 hours ago, gecko89 said:

That's weird?! What if someone plays with no internet connected ? Can't they play the disc they bought ?

Gives you an error. Basically unplayable without downloading a 200 gb (scattered patch)

Basically goes like this. 

- Insert game and install

- Mandatory 100gb warzone patch.

- Select from a bunch of optional content patches which are 1 single player patch, 2 multiplayer, 2 co op, 1 survival mode patch. Around 100+ gb

- install additional updates 50-100gb whenever they come. 

8 hours ago, gecko89 said:

Wow, I had no clue about this. Didn't buy any of those games physical.

It's f**ked up. Either they start burning games to disk before they've gone gold or some other weird reason behind it.

The same thing happened to me when I got a used copy of CoD WW2 on ps4 an year back.  

I was surprised that there was no information about this requirement in the disk case. 

I think this was basically intended to stop :zodka: on PC, so i think they left it on consoles also.

till date MW 2019 hasn't been cracked on PC, and it is said it is all because of this mandatory patch, always online requirement.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, adity said:

There is a sale round the year but some sales are better than others. 

Basically those themed sales like Christmas sale, summer sale, etc. typically have better deals than those random under xx rupees sale or whatever. 

Yup, the Christmas Sale has the best deals afaik. 

Keep 'em coming. Good for us, bad for our wallets. 

11 minutes ago, adity said:

After building a stupidly big backlog. Never ever buy a game thinking I'll get it now for cheap and play it few months down the line. Games keep dropping in price every 3 months. So only buy when you actually wanna play. At least until the 1k mark. Games may not drop below that. 

Yeah I have started doing that now. My backlog kept on growing so eventually I just stopped buying games for playing at a later date.

But I am guilty of picking up one or two if the deal is too tempting :wallbash:

On 8/21/2020 at 11:57 AM, adity said:

After building a stupidly big backlog. Never ever buy a game thinking I'll get it now for cheap and play it few months down the line. Games keep dropping in price every 3 months. So only buy when you actually wanna play. At least until the 1k mark. Games may not drop below that. 

I cleared a chunk of my backlog recently which I had accumulated from such sales and it was extremely satisfying. I had added 100$ in my wallet (from @AL PACINO)in 2014 and it still hasn't gotten expended in its entirety.

• Snake locked this topic