PS3 displays very few games in 1080

Blueelvis_RoXXX

Whenever I remove 720p and play GOW3, it looks crap so probably 576p

It's a tv feature

I use a 24" monitor. too lazy to take the PS3 downstairs and connect to TV :P

Kushal has mentioned the correct method of forcing a game to be rendered at a particular resolution. Make sure that the game supports that (listed at back of box). Else if resolution is incompatible, game will not look good (forced upscaling).

Yea, i saw jaggies in NFSHP which is a supported game for 1080 but when i played at 720, the game was smotthened.

GOW3 only supports max 1080i

ok

Have a question here, how to check the reso when I am in game?

my TV displays the resolution when the video resolution changes.

Some of game automatically run at 1080P & some of at 720P. But personally I didn't find any difference between the both reso at the time of gaming. Actually it is not like PC games reso where if u downscale ur reso then it luk crap. So keep playing at what reso provided by default by the game. :thumbsup:

Those using a monitor, once the game starts you can open the menu of the monitor and it should display the current resolution there.

• 3 weeks later...

HI Blue....

My two cents....

1. Full HD TVs and Monitors usually support 1080p/1080i/720p/576p/480p/576i/480i signals (Progressive/interlaced)

2. Progressive output is better than interlaced for fast motion video and definitely for HD gaming

3. PS3 natively supports upto 1080p resolution

4. Almost all PS3 games natively support 720p. The one game i came across which natively supported 1080p was GOW Collection 1. Basically, playing a majority of games in 1080p on the current gen consoles is not going to happen.

5. If a game does not support a native resolution of 1080p, forcing it to run on 1080p by only keeping that selection from the settings will degrade the quality as ps3 will be forced to downscale the game.

6. From the PS3s video settings, please select only 720p and 1080p besides 576p which i believe is default and mandatory. Do not keep 1080i option enabled, even if a game natively supports it. 1080i would still come out bad as the next bottleneck would be the TV itself, most TVs are inherently better at progressive outputs, even at a lower resolution rather than interlaced ones.

Happy gaming

Archived