'One Blu-ray may be insufficient for next-gen' - Square

'One Blu-ray may be insufficient for next-gen' - Square

Even with a massive 50GB capacity, Square Enix thinks Sony's disc format may not be sufficient enough to store next-gen games on a single CD.

Yoshihisa Hashimoto, the chief technical officer at Square Enix and the producer of that gorgeous Luminous Engine E3 tech demo, told RPGSite that Square had its CG Works team create a CGI version of the demo first to use as a target for the real-time demo shown.

He goes on to reveal, interestingly, that the power of the processors used allowed for assets from the CGI video to be carried directly over to the real-time demo, and this is a practice he thinks could be possible in the next generation of games.

"That's what we're expecting to do," he said. "For the backgrounds used in this - the mountains, the houses - we are using exactly the same assets as are used in the Visual Works CG version."

But he goes on to say that storage space for visuals this detailed - even on Sony's mighty Blu-ray format, could be an issue.

"Of course, it's too massive of a data to use in a game as-is, but I think the look and feel will probably remain. If we had time, we could've compressed the data even smaller. We didn't have time to do that, so we just used the same master data - but it can definitely be reduced."

When asked if storage space could be an issue with Blu-ray discs (which currently store 50GBs of data), Hashimoto replied, "Yeah, that could be a challenge. There's a possibility that just one Blu-ray may not be sufficient.

"We have to really consider the mechanism of compressing the data carefully," he said.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/356096/one-blu-ray-may-be-insufficient-for-next-gen-square/

:panic: I hope the next games coming in more than one blu-ray disc does not mean next-gen games costing more for us end users.

phele game toh release karo haramkhoro :rant:

kisme daalega game ? :naughty:

PS3 mai ya X360 mai :giggle:

First use the full 50GB then talk about overuse. :doh:

As it stands, hardly any games use the full capacity right now.

+1

First use the full 50GB then talk about overuse. :doh:

As it stands, hardly any games use the full capacity right now.

+1

movie tak to theek hai, they use full space, they even started putting Dts-HD beyond 5.1,, i.e 7.1 now.

they just bragging too much..

hazam nahi ho raha hai..:doh:

+1

movie tak to theek hai, they use full space, they even started putting Dts-HD beyond 5.1,, i.e 7.1 now.

they just bragging too much..

hazam nahi ho raha hai..:doh:

true , only movies are taking full use of blu ray

In this gen only very close to 50 gb is used...mgs 4for example.

but the games that use the full capacity are few, generally they use much less space,

and if they want more space then they should just ship another cd which will install data on playstation, i dont want stupid swap disc between games.

Archived