PC cooling thread.

piper

^Oh. TX3 also comes with the same retention mechanism as EVO?

Also, if I opt for a used liquid cooler from some forums, I need to know whether liquid coolers have some sort of lifetime after which their efficiency is reduced?

^Oh. TX3 also comes with the same retention mechanism as EVO?

Also, if I opt for a used liquid cooler from some forums, I need to know whether liquid coolers have some sort of lifetime after which their efficiency is reduced?

The TX3 is held by a push-pin mechanism like the stock Intel cooler which I dislike intensely because of its ineffective application of uniform pressure.

If you opt for a used liquid cooler, you will have to know the following before the purchase --

• Age of product and how long since it has been out of warranty
  • Coolant properties and what is the effective life of the same
  • Pump and fan noise levels (average and increased)

I doubt you will find a lot of closed water loop based coolers up for grabs (effective ones) but worth a shout.

Hope this helps, Cheerio!

Don't buy the TX3. Push pin system is shite. 2 of my pins are lose, and I've no idea how to get the damn thing replaced (using it with the cabby lying down). Thinking of getting the 212 EVO. Currently my temps rise to 99 degrees C while using Lightroom. :doh:

^^ Alekh Sire, PM me on TE with a couple of pictures of the push-pin system in action (pun-intended) and a detailed situation report (if you can document).

I will try to escalate this with Cooler Master India OR you can try if you want.

^^ Alekh Sire, PM me on TE with a couple of pictures of the push-pin system in action (pun-intended) and a detailed situation report (if you can document).

I will try to escalate this with Cooler Master India OR you can try if you want.

Will do in a couple of days (too lazy to take off all components and unscrew the mobo :fear:). Thanks !

Best bet is the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO but before purchasing, contact Cooler Master India and find out about the tentative availability of the Cooler Master Hyper T4.

I am adamant on the latter because the retention mechanism used by the Hyper 212 EVO is not good, it doesn't provide direct pressure contact at all points and the tower exhibits yaw even after fully tightening the screws.

All this comes through personal experience of owning the Hyper 212+ which has the same retention system as the EVO.

Here is a little comparison between t4 and evo.

http://dvtests.com/?p=11083

Here is a little comparison between t4 and evo.

http://dvtests.com/?p=11083

Thanks for the hands-on with the Hyper T4 although I must admit that I'm surprised with the results. The T4 has a much better retention mechanism than the Hyper 212 series which as mentioned by me and several others does not have a uniform mounting system and that should compensate for the size difference of the heat-sink fins.

Lets see what the pricing is like and anyway Piper Sire has mentioned that he is not interested in over-clocked performance for now.

So if I opt for the EVO (almost decided on that, since FK have restocked) should I use the thermal paste that comes with it? Or buy some other paste. Keep in mind that my purpose is to get better performance than stock cooler.

I believe I can replace the EVO paste any time later with a better one, so am not too keen to buy unless it is absolutely recommended to do so.

And what to keep in mind while applying the paste? I'll be going through some guides / Youtube videos, but first hand experience will be great to hear.

So if I opt for the EVO (almost decided on that, since FK have restocked) should I use the thermal paste that comes with it? Or buy some other paste. Keep in mind that my purpose is to get better performance than stock cooler.

I believe I can replace the EVO paste any time later with a better one, so am not too keen to buy unless it is absolutely recommended to do so.

And what to keep in mind while applying the paste? I'll be going through some guides / Youtube videos, but first hand experience will be great to hear.

Yeah! EVO is fine.

The stock paste you get with it is fine for daily application and basic over-clocking too.

Some guides for application of the paste --

Later depending on budget and source of TIM get any of the following --

All these are in sold in a tube, quantity 3.5 gm (the Thermag v1 comes in 1.5gm tube).

Hope this helps. Cheerio!

Will Acetone or spirit work (the blue kind; it's nearly impossible to get a clear one nowadays) ?

Should work like a charm. Nail polish remover is another thing that comes to mind.

Four years of abstinence from hard-sciences does that to you. :notangel:/>/>

Heh. Another dilemma is T4 or 212 EVO ? Read the comparison here, and even though the price difference is marginal, want something which is easy to install. 212 EVO comes with a backplate and the X-mount etc + better cooling than T4 (which, OTOH, is easier to install and a tad smaller. :scratchchin:)

Heh. Another dilemma is T4 or 212 EVO ? Read the comparison here, and even though the price difference is marginal, want something which is easy to install. 212 EVO comes with a backplate and the X-mount etc + better cooling than T4 (which, OTOH, is easier to install and a tad smaller. :scratchchin:)

If you can get a Cooler Master Hyper T4 go for it. The T4 comes with a backplate for Intel processors. AMD motherboards have a backplate bundled with them, so no worries you are not missing on anything.

If you cannot figure out about availability of the above and are in general not in the mood to wait for it get the Hyper 212 EVO. It is a proven, no-nonsense performer. Cheers!

P.S. -- Either way when operating on the system remember the pictures I requested from you.

If you can get a Cooler Master Hyper T4 go for it. The T4 comes with a backplate for Intel processors. AMD motherboards have a backplate bundled with them, so no worries you are not missing on anything.

If you cannot figure out about availability of the above and are in general not in the mood to wait for it get the Hyper 212 EVO. It is a proven, no-nonsense performer. Cheers!

P.S. -- Either way when operating on the system remember the pictures I requested from you.

Both T4 and 212 EVO are available on FK. Price difference is marginal (200 bucks).

Archived