The Anime and Manga thread

TheCoCkyRussian

Back from Weathering With You. Overall, a good movie. But I get the feeling that it's missing the magic of earlier movies. Animation, voice work and music were amazing - as always. You could tell it was a high quality production. But then I felt the story was a bit shallow with some unexplained things. Just could not connect emotionally to the movie.

This is far from Miyazaki's/Studio Ghibli's greats like Princess Mononoke or Grave of the Fireflies or even Slice of Life like Only Yesterday.

For those going tomorrow/Sunday - please tell your opinions later.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, roun90 said:

Back from Weathering With You. Overall, a good movie. But I get the feeling that it's missing the magic of earlier movies. Animation, voice work and music were amazing - as always. You could tell it was a high quality production. But then I felt the story was a bit shallow with some unexplained things. Just could not connect emotionally to the movie.

This is far from Miyazaki's/Studio Ghibli's greats like Princess Mononoke or Grave of the Fireflies or even Slice of Life like Only Yesterday.

For those going tomorrow/Sunday - please tell your opinions later.

Im going tomorrow. Excited. 

Also I hope it'll be genuine anime lovers, and not a bunch of kids. Well technically I am a kid, but I mean kids as in a younger audience expecting this to a be a PIXAR movie or something.

• Like 1

Back from Weathering With You.

It's definitely one of Shinkai's weaker movies and is nowhere close to reaching the heights of Your Name. It was somehow missing that Shinkai magic. The themes of loneliness and longing which are usually very strong in some of his movies felt lacking in this one (I wonder if watching it in a theater full of people had something to do with that :scratchchin:).

And the story isn't as strong to make up for that either.

Still, I did end up enjoying it. Watching an anime movie in a theater and that too in Japanese felt pretty surreal. And as expected, you could tell that the entire crowd was full of passionate fans. There was cheering and hooting all around.

Those two surprise cameos drew some of the largest cheers.

And of course the music by Radwimps was awesome and elevated some of the scenes in which it was used (especially towards the end).

Ohh and did anyone else feel that the quality of the print wasn't really that great? It somehow didn't feel.......HD enough :|.

Edited by STICK3Rboy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Chirag2001 said:

Im going tomorrow. Excited. 

Also I hope it'll be genuine anime lovers, and not a bunch of kids. Well technically I am a kid, but I mean kids as in a younger audience expecting this to a be a PIXAR movie or something.

In the screen I went, it was full of anime fans. The crowd cheered loudly when the movie opened with Vkaao's message thanking "Otakus" for making it possible to play the movie in India. They also understood words that mainly an anime fan or someone studying Japanese will know (Outside Japan itself) like "Senpai" etc. And most of the crowd seemed to have watched "Your Name" already. So, most probably it will not be a case of people expecting a Pixar movie coming. Heck, even when I went to DBS: Broly in theaters some months ago, the screen seemed to be full of DBZ fans with loudest cheers when Cha La Head Cha La (DBZ Original Theme Song) played, and at the entrance of Goku+Vegeta. In both cases there were definitely tons of anime fans on screen - to the point I was surprised a bit actually.

Another good news is that the movie reception seems to be good enough that the show timings and no. of screens displaying the movie "Weathering With You" has increased. One screen in the multiplex I went to was also playing the movie in a Dolby Atmos Sound Screen (Unfortunately, I booked my ticket when only 1 show time was shown so I missed that screen). This is definitely good news for anime fans in India

56 minutes ago, STICK3Rboy said:

Back from Weathering With You.

It's definitely one of Shinkai's weaker movies and is nowhere close to reaching the heights of Your Name. It was somehow missing that Shinkai magic. The themes of loneliness and longing which are usually very strong in some of his movies felt lacking in this one (I wonder if watching it in a theater full of people had something to do with that :scratchchin:).

And the story isn't as strong to make up for that either.

Still, I did end up enjoying it. Watching an anime movie in a theater and that too in Japanese felt pretty surreal. And as expected, you could tell that the entire crowd was full of passionate fans. There was cheering and hooting all around.

Those two surprise cameos drew some of the largest cheers.

And of course the music by Radwimps was awesome and elevated some of the scenes in which it was used (especially towards the end).

Ohh and did anyone else feel that the quality of the print wasn't really that great? It somehow didn't feel.......HD enough :|.

Agree with your post entirely. Generally, anime movies - especially of this kind - have a certain charm, a certain "magic" that can touch your emotions. That was definitely missing in this particular movie. Movie was good, but it definitely felt like Shinkawa was making a movie according to a formula and just to put his name on it to earn more cash. It was definitely not "legendary" as such movies generally are. And, at least for me, the story had plenty of unexplained plot-points that was just hand-waived off to make the romance happen.

As far as the print is concerned, maybe it's your theater/ In the screen I went to - the print was HD enough and you could make out the absolutely gorgeous visuals and animations. Resolution-wise, it looked like what a normal movie in a non-special screen would look like. But it was definitely no IMAX quality and that felt like a missed chance - an IMAX print of this movie would have looked mind-blowing.

Anyway just happy (almost kind of in disbelief) that the movie came over. How far we have come from the days of only 2 anime available in India - Pokemon and DBZ. Both in Hindi only. And DBZ would never move a single episode past when Goku lands on Namek for first time (We only saw SSJ form in the Intro song) and we celebrated if Pokemon could start a new season without stopping. Forget about all anime movies. And now we are having proper anime movie releases in theaters? That's a really far advancement.

36 minutes ago, Sach4life said:

MHA season 4 releasing today ♥️

Nice; it's been way too long since MHA Season 3.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, roun90 said:

Anyway just happy (almost kind of in disbelief) that the movie came over. How far we have come from the days of only 2 anime available in India - Pokemon and DBZ. Both in Hindi only. And DBZ would never move a single episode past when Goku lands on Namek for first time (We only saw SSJ form in the Intro song) and we celebrated if Pokemon could start a new season without stopping. Forget about all anime movies. And now we are having proper anime movie releases in theaters? That's a really far advancement.

True. 

I hope they can somehow bring in some classics for re-release here as well.

I would love to watch them again in theaters with a good crowd.

Edited by STICK3Rboy

3 minutes ago, STICK3Rboy said:

True. 

I hope they can somehow bring in some classics for re-release here as well.

I would love to watch them again in theaters with a good crowd.

They dont do that for regular movies, so anime movies will be tough. I like the idea though, would love to watch Your Name with a good crowd :)

19 minutes ago, Chirag2001 said:

Yes agree on all the points. But Pokemon and DBZ will always be close to my heart. Still watch and love them

Everyone loves them man. But it was a pain in my school days. Imagine for example DBZ. First up, Hindi dub was atrocious. But you get over that and watch the show with interest. That too from the very first iconic episode of  Raditz and the farmer with the shotgun. You go all the way to the Ginyu Saga. You see the entire DBZ squad get beat. At that point, Goku just lands on Namek. You wait with baited breath for the next day's episode. And next day, the show starts playing right from the first Raditz episode of farmer with shotgun. It was irritating and you get pissed off. After some 4-6 months, the show again reaches that point on Namek. You just see whether it will continue. Only for it to either start from the first episode again or can DBZ altogether. It really made people give up. On top of that, there was no net streaming at the time and internet itself was slow.

At that time, when people found places to download future DBZ episodes - they literally became minor celebrities in school lol.

But that was quite a bit of time ago. Now, we have internet+Netflix/Amazon for all anime needs reached and have even reached a point where anime is coming on theaters. Which is kinda unbelievable for a 90s kid.

@STICK3Rboy and anyone else interested and have not heard about these - If you have not watched the old movies, I would highly urge you to watch the old Ghibli films. Start with Grave Of the Fireflies. that will play with your emotions like anything. Although it's a post-war story from the Japanese side -  it's used even in US Schools to show what war can do to normal people. It's just that good. Have seen it, and I think it would be one of the best movies I've seen in my life. Then move on to Miyazaki's works like Princess Mononoke, Whisper of the Heart, Only Yesterday etc. All absolutely exceptional movies. And if you feel like seeing an anime TV Series - "Heidi, Girl of the Alps" is just not to be missed. That was an absolutely magical anime. From what I heard, old Japanese people would even go to the Swiss Alps just to see what kind of life Heidi would have lived if she existed IRL.

Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli of that era was just something too special. I don't know if we can get back that quality ever again. 

Edited by roun90
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, roun90 said:

Everyone loves them man. But it was a pain in my school days. Imagine for example DBZ. First up, Hindi dub was atrocious. But you get over that and watch the show with interest. That too from the very first iconic episode of  Raditz and the farmer with the shotgun. You go all the way to the Ginyu Saga. You see the entire DBZ squad get beat. At that point, Goku just lands on Namek. You wait with baited breath for the next day's episode. And next day, the show starts playing right from the first Raditz episode of farmer with shotgun. It was irritating and you get pissed off. After some 4-6 months, the show again reaches that point on Namek. You just see whether it will continue. Only for it to either start from the first episode again or can DBZ altogether. It really made people give up. On top of that, there was no net streaming at the time and internet itself was slow.

At that time, when people found places to download future DBZ episodes - they literally became minor celebrities in school lol.

But that was quite a bit of time ago. Now, we have internet+Netflix/Amazon for all anime needs reached and have even reached a point where anime is coming on theaters. Which is kinda unbelievable for a 90s kid.

True true. Same with Pokemon too. They just always air the first two seasons. Its quite irritating, I know what you mean. I also watched the Inazuma Eleven anime as a kid (still do) and that also never aired after Episosde 52 on Disney XD. 

Anyway Im happy with growth of anime in India :) 

Just now, Chirag2001 said:

True true. Same with Pokemon too. They just always air the first two seasons. Its quite irritating, I know what you mean. I also watched the Inazuma Eleven anime as a kid (still do) and that also never aired after Episosde 52 on Disney XD. 

Anyway Im happy with growth of anime in India :) 

Didn't know they still do that. Kinda sad and pointless in this age of the Internet. Anyway, for me, once Animax left and I discovered anime on net *ahem* sites, i did not look back on TV anime at all. And these days, I don't even use much of cable at all as well. Just Netflix/Prime/Hotstar/*ahem* sites for anime. Cable is just there for those family members who watch saas-bahu serials. 

9 hours ago, roun90 said:

Didn't know they still do that. Kinda sad and pointless in this age of the Internet. Anyway, for me, once Animax left and I discovered anime on net *ahem* sites, i did not look back on TV anime at all. And these days, I don't even use much of cable at all as well. Just Netflix/Prime/Hotstar/*ahem* sites for anime. Cable is just there for those family members who watch saas-bahu serials. 

Yes I dont use cable either. Nobody in my family watches saas-bahu serials as such, but my dad watches news and I have to watch football so we have to keep it around, or I might take the plunge and get rid of it.

Is there anyone on the forum who got rid of their TataSky or whatever TV connection because they only watch Netflix and other streaming services? Would love to hear thoughts.

2 hours ago, Chirag2001 said:

Yes I dont use cable either. Nobody in my family watches saas-bahu serials as such, but my dad watches news and I have to watch football so we have to keep it around, or I might take the plunge and get rid of it.

Is there anyone on the forum who got rid of their TataSky or whatever TV connection because they only watch Netflix and other streaming services? Would love to hear thoughts.

I did stop the Tata sky connection , but eventually restarted both set top boxes because it was just more convenient for my parents and I for daily viewing. 

Just now, Playstationdude said:

I did stop the Tata sky connection , but eventually restarted both set top boxes because it was just more convenient for my parents and I for daily viewing. 

Yeah thats a hassle. So I assume you do use it then. 

My dad watches the news, and for that I have to keep the Tata Sky conections. I only use it for football now, but I think you can watch pretty much all the matches on Hotstar as well.

1 hour ago, Chirag2001 said:

My dad watches the news, and for that I have to keep the Tata Sky conections. I only use it for football now, but I think you can watch pretty much all the matches on Hotstar as well.

Yup, my parents use it for their serials and stuff while I find it really easy to just turn on Comedy Central after I'm back home. I find it a hassle to search through Netflix/prime etc for what to watch in office days. Switching on Comedy central is much easier.

1 hour ago, Chirag2001 said:

Yup, my parents use it for their serials and stuff while I find it really easy to just turn on Comedy Central after I'm back home. I find it a hassle to search through Netflix/prime etc for what to watch in office days. Switching on Comedy central is much easier.

13 hours ago, abhinit90 said:
14 hours ago, roun90 said:
 FMA 2003 version or FMA: Brotherhood? 

Brotherhood

One of the best animes in the entire anime industry!! Enjoy!! Just know that if you started with Brotherhood, the initial arcs (First 10 episodes or so) are completely rushed or skipped (AFAIK the entire mining town arc was skipped for example). So if you've never seen the 2003 anime - it might be best to start with it, watch for 26 episodes and then start Brotherhood (Original anime after 26 episodes becomes horrible as the OG Anime creators started inventing their own story as manga had not been completed yet)

• Like 1

• Heaven Angel changed the title to The Anime and Manga thread