The Anime and Manga thread

TheCoCkyRussian

Back from Weathering with You. It wasn't mind blowing like everyone said, but it was a definitely a really fun watch and I'm glad I went to see it. Pretty good crowd too, cheered at the right moments. Also the funny parts where great. Wherever humour was intended everybody was laughing. There weren't any stale moments to induce laughter, and I liked the theme of the movie. 

Hopefully lots more anime movies to come to Indian cinema halls, and Ill go watch every one of those. Im quite happy :)

23 hours ago, roun90 said:

@STICK3Rboy and anyone else interested and have not heard about these - If you have not watched the old movies, I would highly urge you to watch the old Ghibli films. Start with Grave Of the Fireflies. that will play with your emotions like anything. Although it's a post-war story from the Japanese side -  it's used even in US Schools to show what war can do to normal people. It's just that good. Have seen it, and I think it would be one of the best movies I've seen in my life. Then move on to Miyazaki's works like Princess Mononoke, Whisper of the Heart, Only Yesterday etc. All absolutely exceptional movies. And if you feel like seeing an anime TV Series - "Heidi, Girl of the Alps" is just not to be missed. That was an absolutely magical anime. From what I heard, old Japanese people would even go to the Swiss Alps just to see what kind of life Heidi would have lived if she existed IRL.

Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli of that era was just something too special. I don't know if we can get back that quality ever again. 

Yup. I think I've watched most of Studio Ghibli movies, barring a few here and there. I plan to remedy that soon.

And yeah, Grave of the Fireflies f**ked me up! I remember almost choking trying to hold back tears. I don't think any other movie has managed to do that to me. It's a phenomenal piece of work that I always recommend to friends who think anime is only meant for kids.

And man.....Heidi. I haven't heard that name in a loong time. Used to watch it as a kid on Sony or Animax (I forget which one exactly). It's a very heartwarming and endearing series.

From recent times, I thought Tale of Princess Kaguya was pretty f**king fantastic! Its absolutely unique artstyle and music alone are nothing short of amazing!

Also you should check out Sword of the Stranger, if you haven't already. It's not a Ghibli film but still awesome. It's a movie which I feel has somehow gone under everyone's radar. Man, watching this in a theater would be quite something. It has some genuinely epic scenes.

Edited by STICK3Rboy

One of the best animes in the entire anime industry!! Enjoy!! Just know that if you started with Brotherhood, the initial arcs (First 10 episodes or so) are completely rushed or skipped (AFAIK the entire mining town arc was skipped for example). So if you've never seen the 2003 anime - it might be best to start with it, watch for 26 episodes and then start Brotherhood (Original anime after 26 episodes becomes horrible as the OG Anime creators started inventing their own story as manga had not been completed yet)
If only you were a bit earlier, I'm halfway into fmab :(

Great analysis video on Shinkai's movies.
Has spoilers!
Yeah I'm gonna watch the rest of his works that you recommended, really liked Your Name and Weathering with You.
The animation and score in Weathering with You was absolutely fantastic.

Sent from my Mi A2 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hope they bring back Dragon Ball Super anime soon. The Galactic Prisoner Arc in the manga (That happens after the Universe Tournament and Broly Movie) is seriously one of the most epic arcs there is. It brings back the feeling of the old Dragon Ball Z, with all it's brutality and epicness - completely removing the silliness that has plagued DBZ since the Buu Arc and the entire DBS

latest?cb=20190801212129

17 hours ago, roun90 said:

@STICK3Rboy Uzumaki is some of the most messed up sh*t I've read. Be careful if you do watch it (as an anime). If they stay true to the manga - it might ruin your day. Worse, those images also have a bad habit of sticking to your mind for some time even after you've stopped watching.

I actually want it to stay true to the manga and be just as messed up. It would be right up my alley :P

I've had my eyes on the Uzumaki as well as Gyo and Tomie hardcovers on Amazon for a while now. Waiting for a decent discount to pick them up.

• 4 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, roun90 said:

@Chirag2001 Woah so you mean to tell me - we watched it in theaters long, literally months, before the US. Haha That's amazing. What the heck is happening to India and the World when subtitled anime movies are coming to India 3-4 months before the US even. Too damn funny lol!!

Yes, we got first here in India because of that petition requesting Shinkai to bring Weathering with You to Indian cinemas. They clearly sold a lot more than they were expecting to, Im sure more anime movies are gonna come this way :) (hopefully before the US too)

For the US, they usually get anime movies anyway, just after a month or so because of some subtitle restrictions and stuff I think. 

@roun90 It is very cool that we got to watch it before the US! 

Another amazing Anime movie is releasing in India (according to Bookmyshow). It's a bit (very) late release in India. I've already seen in in a flight. But it's an absolutely amazing movie, and I urge everyone interested to watch. It's "The Boy and the Beast"

BMS Link

https://in.bookmyshow.com/mumbai/movies/the-boy-and-the-beast/ET00118525

Trailers

Japanese with English Subs:

English Dubbed:

Highly urge you guys to watch it. It's an absolute gem of a movie!!

• Like 1

• Heaven Angel changed the title to The Anime and Manga thread