Linux is gearing towards becoming more viable for games than Windows : Valve

Ph3N0M

Linux penetration in IVG  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Valve is a private company ..

So , they don't release number of games sold and their financial earnings

I know that, and that's why they should not talk about openness and transparency

Sent from Motorola Defy using Tapatalk 2

I know that, and that's why they should not talk about openness and transparency

so the pre-condition to them talking about the state of the industry is that they should show you their financial results? what kind of logic is that?

I support valve ,steam or whatever but they should seriously stop pretending like they are some sort of godlike developer and they have the last say over everything , their last 'groundbreaking' game was in 2005 after that just proxys like left4dead ,portal and other f2p titles that no one really gives a sh*t about. Seeing as how steam is growing i think they are slowly moving away from the gaming scene.

But I think Android (which is again a fork of Linux - if I am not wrong) will be a much better alternative to Windows, but Valve will not go their because Google have their own Shop. It's not that Valve care about Open source ,it's just they want a place where they can make more money easily without competition

Not like that.

They were first on Windows and obviously they invested a lot for the same.

For Google Play, its the default appstore for Android, barring on Amazon and I think B&A devices. Obviously whichever comes in first/comes pre-installed has more visibility for certain. Steam could very well be present on Android, just matter of time.

What kind of twisted logic is that .. :ko:

They should do their best in getting games at Linux but Valve shouldn't undermine Windows , only because MS has become a straight competitor to their Steam store

I support valve ,steam or whatever but they should seriously stop pretending like they are some sort of godlike developer and they have the last say over everything , their last 'groundbreaking' game was in 2005 after that just proxys like left4dead ,portal and other f2p titles that no one really gives a sh*t about. Seeing as how steam is growing i think they are slowly moving away from the gaming scene.

:rofl:

other developers can only dream of achieving the level of quality that valve's "proxy" games have :lol:. you know resident evil 6? that would be considered an alpha build at valve :P

their last 'groundbreaking' game was in 2005 after that just proxys like left4dead ,portal and other f2p titles that no one really gives a sh*t about

Their proxy titles are better than many AAA games.

But I think Android (which is again a fork of Linux - if I am not wrong)

not really. Android (now) has the same Linux kernel as the other distros, but the userland is very, very different.

BTW, the whole Steam is coming for Linux & hence will push Linux gaming is stupid. Steam on Linux doesn't imply devs will release Linux games. have a look at Steam for Mac. Been around for few years & do you *really* see too many games for Mac? With the rare exception, there's hardly any.

It seems as if valve is more angry about windows store rather than the os itself. Steam still works perfectly fine and while metro seems cool, I would be happy to use the the desktop mode for all my pc game goodness. Valve should just be willing to work as windows 8 is the same for everyone and they have to learn to use it.

So much wrong in that article

Mature games are allowed now .. Those were banned before the launch because MS was finalizing terms and conditions

"So far, we know that they've banned mature games, like Skyrim, CoD, and Serious Sam. They have forbidden modding ''

Dafuq did I read :suicide:

. Desktop applications are supposedly exempt from these new rules, but it's feared that by the next iteration of Windows,

If MS does that in next iteration , abuse MS then

Why abuse the current version which is as open as Windows 7 ??

Now these statements wouldn't be akin to the anti-PS3 statements from 2006 now would it :P?? MS needs to throw some $$$$.

:rofl:

other developers can only dream of achieving the level of quality that valve's "proxy" games have :lol:. you know resident evil 6? that would be considered an alpha build at valve :P

I dont think he means quality as a problem , I think he means their presence as a game developer. Portal and Dota 2 are great but thats like what 2 titles in a span of 6-7 years? And Dota was an acquired franchise. They are distancing themselves as game makers and more into the platform.

They are more focused on steam and making that a major platform. As for GTA5 not being on steam , is that even a big seller on PC?? Am surprised its not on steam considering the bad shape Take2 is in.

Archived