'Microsoft Miis': New Xbox 360 Controller May Poach Nintendo's Wii Market

Citing anonymous sources, "MTV News reported Microsoft will soon launch a Wii controller clone for the Xbox 360. It's part of a reported strategy to cash in on Nintendo's market differentiation."132551_hs.jpg

"[Microsoft] marketing just want it so they can match the Wii point for point," MTV's source said. "The biggest parts of their marketing materials outline how easy it would be for third parties to port their Wii games to the 360."

According to MTV, "the controller isn't much different in functionality or design from Nintendo's Wii remote, but comes with four face buttons, an analog stick and a microphone. There are also plans for the controller to interact with the Xbox Live Vision Camera, the source said."

"In addition to designing the interface for the controller, Rare, the Microsoft-owned studio that developed Perfect Dark Zero, has also fleshed out Microsoft's take on Nintendo's Mii avatars, the source said."

"Microsoft's Miis are designed to be associated with any game that incorporates the controller and create a standard look for the games. The avatars aren't tied to a controller when in use, as Xbox Live profiles currently are, MTV reported. Microsoft is reportedly hoping to release the controller before the end of the year, despite development delays."

Read more after the jump.

Source:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nf/20080408/tc_nf/59164

It's too late M$..

Xbox Source about 'Newton' Motion Sensing Controller

I can now confirm the existence of the Xbox Wiimote clone project and I can tell you the project code name: "Newton"

The hardware is still being worked on and it might be a couple months before we see leaked shots of prototypes when they start to mass manufacture it but I am sure that there is an early software developer kit and prototype out there.

Microsoft is rumored to have licensed patents from Gyration and are using them to develop their motion sensing Wiimote controller. Legally Microsoft is not ripping off Nintendo but rather licensing the technology from the same place that Nintendo got it. For an example the Guitar Hero and Rockband controllers both use the same patent that is owned by Konami that they developed for Guitar Freaks.

From what I've learned from internal sources at Microsoft I can collaborate that the Newton project is moving forward and I can believe the time table that it has been in development for a while now and they could get it on the market by winter of 2008. The Newton is also going to use an LED sensor bar that can be powered by the USB ports on the 360, it is going to have an LED sensor on the front accelerometer and gyroscope sensor that can detect tilt and motion, rumble motors, wireless two way data communication with the 360, a built in Microphone for Xbox Live and voice-activated games.

source: seattlepi.nwsource.com:

Expect Games like SINGSTAR ON XBOX 360

Xbox Source about 'Newton' Motion Sensing Controller

I can now confirm the existence of the Xbox Wiimote clone project and I can tell you the project code name: "Newton"

The hardware is still being worked on and it might be a couple months before we see leaked shots of prototypes when they start to mass manufacture it but I am sure that there is an early software developer kit and prototype out there.

Microsoft is rumored to have licensed patents from Gyration and are using them to develop their motion sensing Wiimote controller. Legally Microsoft is not ripping off Nintendo but rather licensing the technology from the same place that Nintendo got it. For an example the Guitar Hero and Rockband controllers both use the same patent that is owned by Konami that they developed for Guitar Freaks.

From what I've learned from internal sources at Microsoft I can collaborate that the Newton project is moving forward and I can believe the time table that it has been in development for a while now and they could get it on the market by winter of 2008. The Newton is also going to use an LED sensor bar that can be powered by the USB ports on the 360, it is going to have an LED sensor on the front accelerometer and gyroscope sensor that can detect tilt and motion, rumble motors, wireless two way data communication with the 360, a built in Microphone for Xbox Live and voice-activated games.

source: seattlepi.nwsource.com:

Expect Games like SINGSTAR ON XBOX 360

NEWTON :P ...M$ always come up wth weired name...

• 1 month later...

I was thinking about this for a bit and i came to a conclusion that that controller is being created by MS for playing RTS games on the 360, as playing RTS games on consoles is a tad hard (at least to me it is).

So does MS wants to prove?

PC gaming, R.I.P?

this newton thing sucks.... why does microsoft have to make a controller like the wii one ??

why do they have to go copyin somebody else when they're doing fine being original ???

i hate M$ for this... and i cant imagine an xbox with a wiimote.... sounds odd

Archived