**The Food Thread**

arjun

1 hour ago, GunnerY2J said:

How unhealthy is broiler chicken ? (The whole world seems to be eating this only)

Can it be eaten 2-3 days a week with benefits overpowering the negatives ?

Generally eat cockerel , 

Desi chicken has become too costly for some time to eat weekly - also I am never sure if I am getting the real thing after paying around 2.5 times the price of cockerel.

Broiler in India is stuffed with steroids, growth hormones, antibiotics and worst of all, estrogen. The broiler strain itself is harmless and just designed for meat production, but then these people have to go extra mile out of greed because 3 months to go from egg to full fat chicken is not short enough.

1 hour ago, CarbonCore said:

Broiler in India is stuffed with steroids, growth hormones, antibiotics and worst of all, estrogen. The broiler strain itself is harmless and just designed for meat production, but then these people have to go extra mile out of greed because 3 months to go from egg to full fat chicken is not short enough.

So this is for select few countries like India ? 

And broiler is used everywhere though.

There are two varieties of broiler as well : mini boiler is only 1.5 kilos, so does it mean it's not being injected heavily, a normal broiler is over 3-3.5 kgs and completely inactive.

And what about cockerel ?

I think this it is somewhat injected as well as they weren't natural ? 

Although It is generally one kilogram only (which is good) and all are male with the red top and more active as well.

Edited by GunnerY2J

6 hours ago, HEMAN said:

Cockerel is what you want to eat if Desi Chicken is not available. Different cities have different names and stuff. 

You are from Nagpur right ? 

From where and for how much do you buy desi and be sure it's not duplicate ? 

I have seen it vary from 320 RS kg to 450 RS kg and sometimes 2000-3000 per chicken (who don't have weighing machines) and I never know what's real inspite of their claims (like see the beak which is whole , feel the body it so tight,look at the claws and color but I don't get the difference)

I stopped desi because of not being sure when its expensive and shifted to 180-200 RS cockerel.

Edited by GunnerY2J

Had prawn ramen at Airoli on Saturday. Contained chopped carrots, seaweed, shiitake mushrooms, sprouted moong, marinated softboiled eggs, fried prawns, etc. 

Didn't take the chopsticks because I don't know how to use them. 

W3Gabd0r.jpg

• Like 2

14 hours ago, HEMAN said:

^That is straight out of Anime.

Almost similar. The only thing missing is a rolled pork belly (chashu). That is the spiral disc like thing. 

Edited by Banz
Adding another sentence

• 2 weeks later...

Sort of a traditional cheap local fish known as bhunji machli,
Fish are first spread out and completely burnt in dry grass.

Is very unique though, bitter taste and eaten whole as it is sparing the eyes in saoji rasa.

Can't find the English name to check nutritional info compared to other fish.f82b4d0c2f13259c9f2ae0bd8cbe55c9.jpg1b03f374b80c91f5efaa5baedd124a95.jpg

Sent from my ASUS_X01BDA using Tapatalk

55 minutes ago, GunnerY2J said:

I doubt they are available anywhere else popularly and don't think this is that.

Also they are size of our smaller fingers.

These are Indian Anchovies called Mohurali/Mahurali.

You can easily find them in any local fish market in Delhi, I assume that's the case with most of the areas. People buy them by the lot for frying and eating them whole.

They are very rich in Iron and Zinc especially and taste great.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kunjanp said:

These are Indian Anchovies called Mohurali/Mahurali.

You can easily find them in any local fish market in Delhi, I assume that's the case with most of the areas. People buy them by the lot for frying and eating them whole.

They are very rich in Iron and Zinc especially and taste great.

Thanks, it might be this technique of burning all of it in grass and then sold here which could be unique.

Today's dinner.

Don't follow any particular recipe for anything, just keep adding what feels good to the marination and that's what makes this one of the most delightful things you could make with absolutely minimal effort/experience.

Tasted sort of between tandoori and pahadi chicken and actually better than both. 3fd90b91c3e0ff7956c7398b1668977b.jpg2b1f063693287946867085e059b31e39.jpg

Edited by GunnerY2J
  • Like 4

29 minutes ago, Bhpian Bali said:

is that a gas tandoor? or coal tandoor? gonna get one if it is a gas tandoor. my recipe for paneer tikka and chicken tikka is sought after but the magic happens on coal tandoor and i have no time for that and this looks close. 

Yes a Gas tandoor, also has a lid to close from the top, works very well and actually cooks better than coal tandoor as it closes and without the hassle.

I never use a fixed recipe for anything,

Just keep tasting and adding stuff.

Maybe place one piece of burning coal on the grill (after removing from gas) for the ending two minutes and close the lid to have that smoky flavour.

2 hours ago, GunnerY2J said:

Yes a Gas tandoor, also has a lid to close from the top, works very well and actually cooks better than coal tandoor as it closes and without the hassle.

I never use a fixed recipe for anything,

Just keep tasting and adding stuff.

Maybe place one piece of burning coal on the grill (after removing from gas) for the ending two minutes and close the lid to have that smoky flavour.

Thats actually a great idea. Thanks

Breakfast.

I like noodles with as much and as many as Vegetables possible and bare minimum of noodles.

(The ones which are generally put plus the ones I like - sometimes even ladyfinger,peas, spinach, cauliflower etc etc)e87dfea47ec2aa600b55d7bff8202fef.jpg

Edited by GunnerY2J
  • Like 4