**The Food Thread**

arjun

1 hour ago, kunjanp said:

@Kirti 

Singhara is a variety of catfish which is less expensive than walking catfish but it's not necessary that you will find it for the less price, it's highly dependent on where you live.

It tastes almost the same and is an alternative.

Works well for tikkas.

Most of the Rohu I have come across are farmed in natural lakes, your mileage may vary.

Also is a bit bland but it usually used to champion the other ingredients rather than the fish itself. It's more for the texture.

I am expecting singhara to be cheap, have seen it and was kept in quantity and both rohu and this is generally kept as dead (rohu particularly is always dead)

And yes, rohu is extremely bland and tasteless - that's why would try a starter instead of a curry.

While Walking catfish and murrel are always kept fresh and alive in water.

(You also have the option if dead to buy at 100 Rs cheaper for these two)

12 hours ago, GunnerY2J said:

@kunjanp @GunnerY2JThe walking catfish you are referring to, is it Magur fish? and they are sold alive here for 180/- to 200/- kg.

You'd mentioned waghur fish before, are they both the same variety(Magur/Waghur).

• Confused 1

22 hours ago, GunnerY2J said:

I am expecting singhara to be cheap, have seen it and was kept in quantity and both rohu and this is generally kept as dead (rohu particularly is always dead)

And yes, rohu is extremely bland and tasteless - that's why would try a starter instead of a curry.

I would recommend to always buy alive fish even if it costs more.

Rohu will mostly be dead because it's sells easily, they hardly worry about freezing it but still I have seen alive Rohu.

Just try Singhara, that would work for you.

9 hours ago, Kirti said:

@kunjanp @GunnerY2JThe walking catfish you are referring to, is it Magur fish? and they are sold alive here for 180/- to 200/- kg.

You'd mentioned waghur fish before, are they both the same variety(Magur/Waghur).

Magur also is a variety of walking catfish but I am assuming the one @GunnerY2J is referring to is the bigger kind. 

Singi is the more expensive one, vendors end up calling it as Magur/Waghur just because of the same species.

Magur/Waghur on the other hand is different in taste and texture, not really as good as Singi and hence cost less for some purposes. But maybe it works good enough.

You will know when vendor offees two different kind at different prices but calls both of them as Magur/Waghur.

Also, I would always recommend to pay extra and buy fish alive. Rohu is usually dead because they are sold easily and hence doesn't go much in the freezer.

Edited by kunjanp

23 minutes ago, kunjanp said:

Magur also is a variety of walking catfish but I am assuming the one @GunnerY2J is referring to is the bigger kind. 

Singi is the more expensive one, vendors end up calling it as Magur/Waghur just because of the same species.

Magur/Waghur on the other hand is different in taste and texture, not really as good as Singi and hence cost less for some purposes. But maybe it works good enough.

You will know when vendor offees two different kind at different prices but calls both of them as Magur/Waghur.

Also, I would always recommend to pay extra and buy fish alive. Rohu is usually dead because they are sold easily and hence doesn't go much in the freezer.

Yes,i always buy alive only when there is an option.

Freezer ? Frozen fish is dead only.

By alive I mean kept in huge containers filled with water, and the dead ones either frozen in ice or kept on the ground.

Edited by GunnerY2J

18 minutes ago, Engineer said:

New Home Experiment Cow Beef with noodles

NUHDcQ4.jpg

U mean Maggi ? 

Looks like making bad use of some good meat.

What's the beef rate nowdays ?

Curious after the ban (haven't eaten it yet though - I don't mind)

Edit I meant how much it increased from before ?

Edited by GunnerY2J

Just now, GunnerY2J said:

U mean Maggi ? 

Looks like wasting good meat.

What's the beef rate nowdays ?

Curious after the ban (haven't eaten it yet though - I don't mind)

₹350 per kg. I tried to buy the indomie beef noodles but not available in India. So I used Maggi

Ate goat heart today.

Tastes just like goat kidneys which are not abundant, so might add heart as well from now along with kidneys (gurda). (Google says twice a month for these organs is more than enough)

Don't like liver, while testicles are extremely limited and seem in demand. (only eaten a couple of times)

Edited by GunnerY2J
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, GunnerY2J said:

Ate goat heart today.

Tastes just like goat kidneys which are not abundant, so might add heart as well from now along with kidneys (gurda). (Google says twice a month for these organs is more than enough)

Don't like liver, while testicles are extremely limited and seem in demand. (only eaten a couple of times)

:fear:

Heart, testicles, kidney, liver. Is there any part that you havent eaten? Is the penis also edible? :fear:

30 minutes ago, playstationdude said:

:fear:

Heart, testicles, kidney, liver. Is there any part that you havent eaten? Is the penis also edible? :fear:

I don't understand this.

These organs are delicacies all over the world and extremely nutritious, loaded with stuff you won't find elsewhere,

and have been expensive as well.

Anyone who buys and cooks meat at home, very common of them to take these organs along - maybe the name confused you but liver is kaleji (extremely common) and kidney is known as gurda or even gol kaleji.

Testicles were consumed in ancient times by royalty as a delicacy to boost their sex drive along with having other nutrients.

The vendors aren't very keen on offering them either with regular meat :

Gurda-Kapoora is a famous dish in India.

Penis, i am sure African and Chinese people eat it and would probably be a special dish for many countries but haven't seen here.

And I haven't eaten the head yet of edible parts I see (this doesn't mean the brain)

Also haven't eaten intestine - and never will although very famous all over the world, most of time as a staple food for the poor or a traditional food for many countries - known as sundari in india (Only thing that's cheap)

Edited by GunnerY2J

4 hours ago, GunnerY2J said:

Ate goat heart today.

I gotta say, you bring a unique flavor in every thread you frequent. Glad to have you in the forum.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Banz said:

Instestine (vajari) is a delicacy in our local cuisine. Why do you not like/prefer it? 

Needs to be cleaned very properly and thoroughly and made exclusively, if not can be harmful otherwise.

The thing with other organs is you can mix them with kheema or meat and eat them as they need to be moderately consumed.

And they are similar to the taste (still very different) and appearance of the popular kaleji - something everyone's already has been eating from long.

And very harsh and hypocritical for me to say but intenstine doesn't look and feel good because of what it is but certainly must have a different flavour which could be very likeable and I am not open  enough.

Edited by GunnerY2J

57 minutes ago, GunnerY2J said:

And very harsh and hypocritical for me to say but intenstine doesn't look and feel good because of what it is but certainly must have a different flavour which could be very likeable and I am not open  enough.

You should try the throat and lungs part of goat, that's also tastes good if not the intestine. Even I don't like intestine.

• Like 1

Yes it has to be opened and cleaned properly. I wouldn't eat it at a restaurant (unless it is a trusted one), but at home I have better control over it. 

I have never eaten kidney before but it needs to be cleaned properly as well. 

Which strange/uncommon animals have you eaten? 

37 minutes ago, Banz said:
Yes it has to be opened and cleaned properly. I wouldn't eat it at a restaurant (unless it is a trusted one), but at home I have better control over it. 

I have never eaten kidney before but it needs to be cleaned properly as well. 

Which strange/uncommon animals have you eaten? 

I doubt kidney needs to be cleaned thoroughly (I mean everything needs to be cleaned but),

its skinned before and just like meat or liver there's nothing multilayer about it that you can clean, just washing it in water is enough.

Kidneys are always a must and you can just add it in your normal meat like you add liver and tastes different and better. 

Edit I have seen lungs and they are sold along with intestine i think in combination, and give me the same feeling.

I haven't eaten any uncommon animals,

What about you ?

Only very slightly uncommon thing (not animal) would be swans eggs and the small bird - batter (known as quail ?)

437bb2e4fa2852b27fd865d119c7a77e.jpg

Edited by GunnerY2J
  • Like 1