**The Food Thread**

arjun

Tried baking (bread) for first time today. Turns out yeast smells just like anarsa dough. 

Used a bit of the dough to make pizza. Kept the rest of it in the fridge to rise. Will bake a loaf of bread tomorrow. 

IMG-20200401-201344-01-01.jpg

Mutton has become very scarce now and people are going back to chicken.

Some muttonwalas are slaughtering only 1-2 goats a day and calling their regular customers to pick up quickly. It doesn't last very long. 

33 minutes ago, Banz said:

Mutton has become very scarce now and people are going back to chicken.

Some muttonwalas are slaughtering only 1-2 goats a day and calling their regular customers to pick up quickly. It doesn't last very long. 

Yes, the regular muttonwala only had two goats and both were large ones (I prefer tender ones for Biryani especially)

Most shops closed in the market and the few open ones didn't have tender meat either, went to another market and same story - 700 RS, tough meat and decent rush (not much)  because of navrati ending.

700 rs kg is costly to eat thrice a week.

So bought 3 cockerel, chicken shops had more rush.

34 minutes ago, GunnerY2J said:

Yes, the regular muttonwala only had two goats and both were large ones (I prefer tender ones for Biryani especially)

Most shops closed in the market and the few open ones didn't have tender meat either, went to another market and same story - 700 RS, tough meat and decent rush (not much)  because of navrati ending.

700 rs kg is costly to eat thrice a week.

So bought 3 cockerel, chicken shops had more rush.

even i am thinking of just ignoring the bird flu thing and just go for chicken from  zorabian or real good. 

15 minutes ago, Bhpian Bali said:

even i am thinking of just ignoring the bird flu thing and just go for chicken from  zorabian or real good. 

Avoid broiler maybe, the main flu affects these.

And online and other big companies gives broiler only.

Buy cockerel or desi and ask them to roast it too before you take it.

21 minutes ago, GunnerY2J said:

Avoid broiler maybe, the main flu affects these.

And online and other big companies gives broiler only.

Buy cockerel or desi and ask them to roast it too before you take it.

good idea. there are several places selling desi live chicken but they dont roast and give anything. 

Edit:- near my place all desi chicken are kept along with broiler chicken. so even then desi wont catch bird flu if any one of the broilers past or present has flu? :scratchchin:

Edited by Bhpian Bali
edit

48 minutes ago, Bhpian Bali said:

good idea. there are several places selling desi live chicken but they dont roast and give anything. 

Edit:- near my place all desi chicken are kept along with broiler chicken. so even then desi wont catch bird flu if any one of the broilers past or present has flu? :scratchchin:

Every chicken joint/vendor roasts chicken here.(they ask bhunke hona ki cheelke)

Maybe word is different, but it is a procedure done to have the chicken skin present as well with the flesh, so everyone does it because most people want the chicken with skin.

First the bird is dipped in boiling water several times, then the feathers are plucked away easily, then the whole body (with skin) is flamed with a burner.

(If you get with skin chicken, this already was done unless there's some other procedure)

Second method is directly skinning the bird which removes the skin as well.

(I prefer this but this could make one feel more secure, although it was only and only Kerela)

Edited by GunnerY2J

2 hours ago, GunnerY2J said:

Every chicken joint/vendor roasts chicken here.(they ask bhunke hona ki cheelke)

Maybe word is different, but it is a procedure done to have the chicken skin present as well with the flesh, so everyone does it because most people want the chicken with skin.

First the bird is dipped in boiling water several times, then the feathers are plucked away easily, then the whole body (with skin) is flamed with a burner.

(If you get with skin chicken, this already was done unless there's some other procedure)

Second method is directly skinning the bird which removes the skin as well.

(I prefer this but this could make one feel more secure, although it was only and only Kerela)

Where are you from? i havent seen this concept in Pune. or anywhere i have lived. here they cut and give directly. no charring done. at the max they remove the skin but that will be all. 

Nagpur.

Talking about this skin.

I generally ask to pull out directly (since I don't want the skin)

The skin gets removed directly when it is pulled away along with feathers without the hot water method, so how do you get chicken with skin ?? (Must be a different method ?)

But after putting in hot water : only feathers get removed and skin stays.

3707ce8b7a0e72b0bb2c9d50891becf5.jpg

Edited by GunnerY2J

Dp.

So would add something.

Sensitive content ,don't watch if you are sensitive.

WARNING.

See this method of pulling directly :

https://youtu.be/kyhEq_CuZMQ

skin gets removed automatically with feathers.

And see this with boiling water : skin preserved  (she didn't char though afterwards, that basically sticks the skin with the flesh and gives a roast flavour : I am suspecting that it is more prevalent for saoji in Nagpur)

Edited by GunnerY2J

2 hours ago, GunnerY2J said:

Nagpur.

3707ce8b7a0e72b0bb2c9d50891becf5.jpg

I have stopped going to the butchers long ago. I just buy packed chicken from Zorabian and now Licious which is really good for chicken and mutton. For fish freshtohome is good. 

You get both skinless curry cut and whole bird with skin from zorabian which is very clean. The withskin birds at butchers are dirty in Pune so they simply remove it and give. 

I lived for around 8 years in Akola till my 10th class. Even over there no one offered roasting or boiling. Guess this is being done only in Nagpur. 

30 minutes ago, Aftrunner said:

Y'all ordering something or just cooking at home?

sh*ting bricks just for getting supplies for home. i take a bath every time after i get back home and have been washing packets with soap before storing em.

no way I am going to order food from out. stopped ordering from 2nd week of march itself. 

been cooking really great stuff at home. wife baked a really tasty rawa cake. wont be buying those sponge cakes ever again from outside. 

i tried making cheese burst pizza. it was a disaster and the good thing is that my wife wont be asking me to ever bake again.

someone rightly said that either people will become better cooks or alcoholics once this lock down gets over.

4 hours ago, Bhpian Bali said:

The withskin birds at butchers are dirty in Pune so they simply remove it and give. 

I lived for around 8 years in Akola till my 10th class. Even over there no one offered roasting or boiling. Guess this is being done only in Nagpur. 

Yes,roasting might be rare for Nagpur and wherever saoji is common.

But I don't know how could you preserve the skin without boiling the feathers : the skin automatically gets removed if you pull out directly.

Do they pluck the feathers ? that would be time consuming.

(Didn't understand the with skin birds part)

Edited by GunnerY2J

3 hours ago, Aftrunner said:

Y'all ordering something or just cooking at home?

Last online food other was in November.

I visit markets twice a week.

Today went to three different markets in search of vegetables and tender mutton, found the latter no where and ended up with buying chicken, great rush today at the chicken vendors.