Jump to content
arjun

**The Food Thread**

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, Aftrunner said:

NEVER had a fried banana. I am intrigued. 

If its raw banana the taste would be really good.. Must try but in kerala there's a fried banana version where the banana is slightly sweet which they make with a banana called Nentharam pazham with which usually chips are made and for that version of bhajji you need to get used to the taste.. Felt weird the first time I had it but its really popular dish in kerala..

 

This is Raw Banana

coverimage-1561465554.jpg

 

Nendram Pazham or Nendram banana

 

banana-nendran-plantslive.jpg

 

This is the chips made with the above one..

 

nendran-banana-chips-250x250.jpg

 

^^ These chips are must try though.. Especially in Kerala as they fry it in coconut oil..

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, funnyadit said:

If its raw banana the taste would be really good.. Must try but in kerala there's a fried banana version where the banana is slightly sweet which they make with a banana called Nentharam pazham with which usually chips are made and for that version of bhajji you need to get used to the taste.. Felt weird the first time I had it but its really popular dish in kerala..

 

This is Raw Banana

coverimage-1561465554.jpg

 

Nendram Pazham or Nendram banana

 

banana-nendran-plantslive.jpg

 

This is the chips made with the above one..

 

nendran-banana-chips-250x250.jpg

 

^^ These chips are must try though.. Especially in Kerala as they fry it in coconut oil..

 

 

These chips made from raw nendram banana when it is green in colour

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/13/2019 at 3:41 AM, GunnerY2J said:

I have switched to jowar and makka aata for winters at least (would continue as they taste better as well)

 

How is jowar and Bajra known as poor man's grains, they are more expensive (or have got now due to less demand ?) than wheat.

I remember reading somewhere that its because you could grow it in conditions where you wouldnt be able to grow other (rice, wheat) crops. Somewhat arid places where mostly poor people ended up. But now, I guess its because of low demand and maybe needing to import it from a longer distance if you live in a state where it doesnt grow naturally. 

On 12/11/2019 at 8:51 AM, Banz said:

 

Not even banana wafers? 

 

NGL Banana chips taste awful. :/ 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have asked the grocery men the same,

That's not the only reason maybe as in cities as well it used to be cheap.

 

Doctors and other stuff have started recommending these, it's become sort of a trend nowdays to eat it and supply must have been always low like you said.

 

Bajra tastes very blank and is hard too,

Can't eat it with 90% of the stuff.

 

 

Makka is soft and has a bit of sweetness to it which goes well with so many things.

Jowar is good too, sort of middle between the two 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The green revolution focused on high yielding varieties of wheat and rice which exponentially increased the quantity of wheat produced in the country. This automatically reduced the price of wheat while other grains like jowar got sidelined. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/13/2019 at 3:11 PM, GunnerY2J said:

I have switched to jowar and makka aata for winters at least (would continue as they taste better as well)

 

How is jowar and Bajra known as poor man's grains, they are more expensive (or have got now due to less demand ?) than wheat.

 

Jowar/Bajra/Ragi all grow well in cancerous Drought-like areas, where you can't possibly grow wheat without tons of fertilizer or a fancy irrigation system.

Now they are all expensive because they are high fibre "complex" carbs and do not digest ezily like wheat or polished rice.

 

Ragi is a stape in rural Northern Karnataka basically, because it is permanently hot and dry there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

        They were called poor man's grains because they were cheaper than wheat and rice. But in places where it is staple, the rich and poor all eat it. Wheat has been the real poor man's grain (as in grain consumed the most by the poor people) for a long time now.
        MSP (price at which FCI buys grains) of Jowar is higher than that of other cereal grains. Wheat MSP for this season is around 1900 Rs, while for jowar it is over Rs 2500. Until last year these prices were very close to each other. That is the main reason for the sudden rise in prices. This is also more or less permanent. We are unlikely to have jowar cheaper than wheat any time soon. India produces a lot more wheat than jowar and bajri. About 15x more wheat than bajri and 60x more than jowar. So even if a small amount of wheat eaters start consuming jowar as it has become trendy recently, there may be sharp rises in the price of jowar. Prices are increasing due to rising demand also.
        Govt. doesn't intervene much in jowar market, unlike in case of wheat where it tightly controls prices at every step by procuring from farmers in huge quantities, maintaining large buffer stocks and releasing them to APMCs or directly through PDS. That is why prices are so stable despite all sorts of floods, droughts, etc. So if prices rise, govt. won't take much efforts to bring them down. They usually self stabilise given enough time.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember my grandpa used to say that wheat chapati was once in a month kinda deal, like eating biryani on special occasions instead of plain rice. Chapati and refined sugar were the food of the rich and normal people ate jawar roti and used jaggery for sweetening. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How unhealthy is broiler chicken ? (The whole world seems to be eating this only)

Can it be eaten 2-3 days a week with benefits overpowering the negatives ?

 

Generally eat cockerel , 

Desi chicken has become too costly for some time to eat weekly - also I am never sure if I am getting the real thing after paying around 2.5 times the price of cockerel.

 

 

Edited by GunnerY2J

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GunnerY2J said:

How unhealthy is broiler chicken ? (The whole world seems to be eating this only)

Can it be eaten 2-3 days a week with benefits overpowering the negatives ?

 

Generally eat cockerel , 

Desi chicken has become too costly for some time to eat weekly - also I am never sure if I am getting the real thing after paying around 2.5 times the price of cockerel.

 

 

 

Broiler in India is stuffed with steroids, growth hormones, antibiotics and worst of all, estrogen. The broiler strain itself is harmless and just designed for meat production, but then these people have to go extra mile out of greed because 3 months to go from egg to full fat chicken is not short enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CarbonCore said:

 

Broiler in India is stuffed with steroids, growth hormones, antibiotics and worst of all, estrogen. The broiler strain itself is harmless and just designed for meat production, but then these people have to go extra mile out of greed because 3 months to go from egg to full fat chicken is not short enough.

So this is for select few countries like India ? 

And broiler is used everywhere though.

 

There are two varieties of broiler as well : mini boiler is only 1.5 kilos, so does it mean it's not being injected heavily, a normal broiler is over 3-3.5 kgs and completely inactive.

 

 

And what about cockerel ?

I think this it is somewhat injected as well as they weren't natural ? 

Although It is generally one kilogram only (which is good) and all are male with the red top and more active as well.

 

Edited by GunnerY2J

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...