The Last Guardian

KnackChap

In the magazine, game director Fumito Ueda says, “Since this is the year we will see the game’s release, I do have some worries, but I’m also very excited.”

He [Trico] is described in the magazine as a “free-spirited creature that flagrantly disregards your attempts to tame it,” which prompted Ueda to question whether this may or may not annoy players.

“It would be a lie to stay that I have no worries,” Ueda said in the magazine, “but another game where you can completely control a creature wouldn’t be enjoyable for me because there are a lot out there where you can do that. I think I’ve had enough of them.”

Here’s Ueda’s take on Trico: “This creature isn’t like the cute pets that exist in other games, or an ally that’s really useful. The role of the creature is ambiguous; that’s something we wanted to express in the game, and it doesn’t always do what you ask it to do. That’s one of the themes of The Last Guardian. It’s something that’s difficult, and completely different. I want to create the next thing – an experience that people have never had before.

“The amount of code is very large compared to AI in conventional games. We’ve given this creature its own desires, so depending on what action it wants to take, that affects everything, including its animation. It’s not like a normal humanoid character.”

Sauce

i-tDMz9tR-2100x20000.jpg

How about creating a spoiler thread and putting all this in there. :ranting:

I don't know if its a spoiler i haven't reached the ending. And in a game where the only two characters are about to fall from a cliff every few minutes, is it that far fetched that in the binary between life and death, its one or the other. I doubt the game will end with Trico being revealed as a (SPOILER ALERT) Donald Trump supporter. Or a mecha from the Transformers franchise. Or Darth Vader.

Jesus...get a grip on it guys.

Edited by zen

Couldn't resist. Bought the game. It runs fine on the Pro in 4k. Slight framerate dips here and there.

I'd read a lot of criticism about the camera controls and Trico's AI. Well, the camera really does suck. If you've played any modern third person games recently, you'll struggle with the camera in this game. It's constantly fighting with you. And it's something you have to learn to get used to.

But you do get used to it. At least I did. You try not to fight it too much and make multiple small movements with the analog stick instead of a long span.

With respect to Trico and his AI, I have zero complaints. I love Trico! Not sure how other people are playing the game, but Trico is really responsive to my commands. When he doesn't listen, it's either that he doesn't have my attention or I'm asking him to do something he can't. Even then, he tries. E.g. I'm up on a ledge and I want him to jump to it. Even if he can't make the jump, the poor guy tries and jumps and crashes back to the ground.

Also, you get a lot of cues from his body language. If he's heard your command, his ears perk up and he looks alert. It does take him some time to execute the command so patience is key. I guess many people get impatient and spam the command multiple times confusing Trico.

Overall, I'm really enjoying the game. It looks amazing in motion. Trico's animations are godlike. I love the fact that there's a button dedicated to focusing the camera on him. I like watching him even if the boy is traversing to some place. It's a joy to watch and interact with him. I played for about 5 hours yesterday and I think I'm already more than half way through.

• Like 2

My copy of the CE is stuck in the customs at Delhi, awaiting clearance. Now, I found this out when I tweeted to Amazon and Aramex about no updates since last Saturday (December 10th) and only then Aramex responded with this update.

So, I'm thinking if I wouldn't have asked them, I wouldn't even have known about it. So, who knows since when is it sitting there.

Hopefully, it clears soon. Dying a little bit everyday to play the game.

:fogug:

The best game of the year, and the most feels I have gotten since the ending of Witcher 3.

This is an all-time classic they have made here, something they will be writing about for years to come. Anybody on the fence should buy it. The controls are an issue for 2 hrs, and then you forget about it, and like someone said above, don't spam the control buttons and it should be fine.

• Like 2

My copy of the CE is stuck in the customs at Delhi, awaiting clearance. Now, I found this out when I tweeted to Amazon and Aramex about no updates since last Saturday (December 10th) and only then Aramex responded with this update.

So, I'm thinking if I wouldn't have asked them, I wouldn't even have known about it. So, who knows since when is it sitting there.

Hopefully, it clears soon. Dying a little bit everyday to play the game.

:fogug:

UPDATE: It has cleared customs. :dance: Now to see how competent Aramex is.