Nvidia announces own 'Shield' gaming device at CES

AtheK

sadglasda.jpg

At CES 2013 we all knew NVIDIA would unveil the Tegra 4 chipset, but no-one was expecting them to announce a portable gaming console. "Project Shield" is some sort of handheld Android gaming device with the Tegra 4 chipset inside, a full "console-grade" game controller, large battery life (they claim 5-10 hours of gaming from a 38 watt-hour battery), plus "Pure Android" without a skin...

Source: http://www.neowin.net/news/nvidia-announces-project-shield-portable-android-console

Looks neat IMO

LAS VEGAS--Who says you can't teach an old chipmaker new tricks? Not Nvidia. At CES, the company announced its own gaming device, Nvidia Shield, which will bear its brand name as well as its quad-core Tegra 4 processor.

Tegra 4, gaming dominate Nvidia's 2013 plans

Nvidia unveils muscular Tegra 4 quad-core chipset

Nvidia's GeForce Experience auto-optimizes gameplay

Nvidia Grid pushes gaming to the cloud

Project Shield is small -- smaller than a Wii U controller. Fittingly, it looks like a portable Xbox controller with a small flip-up screen. It's got analog joysticks, buttons, and controllers. Nvidia promises between 5 and 10 hours of gameplay on Shield.

Still a prototype, the final name and design could change before the product goes to market, as soon as in a few months, an Nvidia spokesperson said.

"It's pure Android," says Nvidia CEO Jen-Hsun Huang. There's nothing proprietary about it; all jacks are standard and the platform is open. It comes with a microSD card slot.

Shield can connect to the cloud to play Android games, TegraZone games, and PC games for PCs with compatible GeForce graphics cards. It also supports multiplayer mode.

Big strides

The move from making chipsets to assembling the hardware that houses them is a bold one for Nvidia, which traditionally partners with device-makers to power their mobile and desktop computing hardware.

Becoming a hardware manufacturer in addition to creating processors would give Nvidia another revenue stream, as well as greater latitude in device designs that house their chips.

Though a surprising move, Nvidia does have some experience speccing out and creating devices. The company currently builds reference models that they then actively pitch to hardware partners, like Asus and Acer, for instance.

Most recently, Nvidia partnered with Leyden Energy to provide a longer-lasting battery for a tablet reference design.

Nvidia isn't showing off its new tablet tonight, but CNET tablet reviewer Eric Franklin will get photos, video, and first impressions as soon as possible.

More to come...

2lizjg4.jpg

2qx53c7.jpg

okspp2.png

szcpzm.jpg

I guess that is an addon, the main functionality sticks to the gaming.

What surprises me is the use of 720p display at 5" they would have been better off going with a Full HD display.

I guess that is an addon, the main functionality sticks to the gaming.

No, its not an addon, for PC streaming(in order to play games which are in your steam library), you will have to have that config.

overall looks good to me, 720p screen to keep the cost down I guess. Is their any limitation on the Android OS, I mean can it run on x86 architecture - if yes, what is someone launch a hardcore console based on android os with intel/amd hardware. In future, AMD definitely can come with something like that.

IMO this will FAIL. Good for casual gamers or for people who own a gaming rig. It is just a HD display with a controller attached to it. I don't think it is powerful enough to play hardware hungry games (not talking about streaming).

This device can't compete with 720/PS4. Valve's Steam Box can. Eagerly awaiting for some news :)

Archived