The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

ScrewyAurum

• 2 weeks later...

After spending lots of hours in the wilderness of White Orchard/Velen and inside Novigrad city limits, started getting a bit bored doing endless but fun quests. Moved on to Skellige and was given half a dozen more quests on the shore itself,lol. And like a broken record, will say it again....this is the best open world I've seen. All the locations so far are so varied, are fun to explore and rewards exploration and are bustling with activity.Their 40 seconds rule in world design works great.

And all the trolls in the game are so funny. This, for example, was a shitty Chubisoft-esque fetch quest but the trollololo(:rofl:) made it worthwhile.

Finally download complete.. Played for an hour after download , man its like a game where you dont keep a track of how much time you have spent.. Its amazing start so far.. Able to get 60+FPS on RX570 on High settings which is great.. Should try tweaking some settings with ultra and see if I can get that upto 60 as well..

58 minutes ago, funnyadit said:

Finally download complete.. Played for an hour after download , man its like a game where you dont keep a track of how much time you have spent.. Its amazing start so far.. Able to get 60+FPS on RX570 on High settings which is great.. Should try tweaking some settings with ultra and see if I can get that upto 60 as well..

Enjoy and don't forget to play expansions too. One of the best. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Finished the main quest after clocking in 73 hours over almost the last 3 months. Keeping aside the main quest, which was simply amazing btw...I've never played a game which had so many memorable side quests. Every side quest, secondary quest, witcher contract had great writing, characters and lore and were lots of fun. Even the occasional fetch quests felt worth the time because of this. The quests were quite varied too, making this exceptionally well crafted world a joy to explore. And then are the choices you've to make in the game. These were not shallow black or white ones as in most of the other(crappy)open world games...they had weight and you have to live with the consequences. There are so many quests which I want to replay now to see what would have happened if I had taken a different route. This was my first Witcher game and thus wasnt muchfamiliar with the characters....yet I found many of the character moments very emotional.

Spoiler

When you meet Ciri in the isle of the mists :( I thought I somehow got the bad ending. And then the reference to Cyberpunk, during the subsequent conversation with her :)

Loved the humor too. To maintain such amazing quality in world building, writing and pacing over such a long game deserves all the praise and thinking this was there first open world game...hats off CDPR. :majesty::majesty: And I have completely ignored side activities like Gwent, horse races, fist fights, treasure hunts, all those question marks...

Will take a break, play some indie and will come back to continue with the DLCs. This is among the top 5 games I've ever played. With this experience and another 5 years of development, cant wait to see what they have done with Cyberpunk.

• Like 1

@Bauji Actually, story-wise Witcher 3 base is the weakest of the lot. Play the expansions. Hearts of Stone has am amazing far better story tgan Witcher 3 + a villain who easily comes in the top best villains in all of gaming.

Blood and Wine will make you feel like you are playing a different game altigether with anazing graphical updates. Plus amazing story, choices and quests again.

Story-wise though, my opinion at least, but I still felt Witcher 2 had the best story of all. Though that game was more Game of Thrones (with politics, powerplays and backstabbing) than an actual Witchering (Monster Slaying) game.

• Like 1

On 10/26/2019 at 12:31 AM, roun90 said:

@Bauji Actually, story-wise Witcher 3 base is the weakest of the lot. Play the expansions. Hearts of Stone has am amazing far better story tgan Witcher 3 + a villain who easily comes in the top best villains in all of gaming.

Blood and Wine will make you feel like you are playing a different game altigether with anazing graphical updates. Plus amazing story, choices and quests again.

Great!! Tried few games but nothing is clicking..as it usually happens when you have just finished a great game.So went back and started Hearts of stone :)

I have all 3 games on the PC and the Witcher 2 and 3 on Xbox One X. But I really don't want to start the game without finishing the first one. I had played it years back and clocked close to 15 hours. Did you guys finish the first two before starting the last game?

3 hours ago, l33tmaniac said:

I have all 3 games on the PC and the Witcher 2 and 3 on Xbox One X. But I really don't want to start the game without finishing the first one. I had played it years back and clocked close to 15 hours. Did you guys finish the first two before starting the last game?

Nope; my PC was too weak at the time of Witcher 1 (and I had no consoles). So I just skipped Witcher 1. If you try to play it now, it will be very dated (tried it, couldn't play it in modern times). Witcher 2 itself is a bit dated, but according to me at least has the best story in the series - with choices that affect the entire game you play (and not just the ending like in W3); forcing you to do at least 2 play-throughs. Try it out, and if you can play it - believe me you will love it. Witcher 3 is what everyone knows - one of the absolute best modern RPGs, an example of how to do open world choice and story based RPGs etc. so no need for me to say more.

Just remember that you can play the game in any order. Witcher 1 is not needed to understand Witcher 2 or 3. Same for Witcher 2 (Not needed for W3) etc. Just look at the games as some adventures in the life of Geralt - a Witcher (another name for Monster Hunter who uses 2 swords - steel for humans and silver for monsters; potions and signs - basic forms of magic - to kill monsters)

Lol if old games were necessary, then by that logic even reading the books would be necessary - since the games are sequels of the Witcher Books - and I doubt many people have read those.

38 minutes ago, roun90 said:

Nope; my PC was too weak at the time of Witcher 1 (and I had no consoles). So I just skipped Witcher 1. If you try to play it now, it will be very dated (tried it, couldn't play it in modern times). Witcher 2 itself is a bit dated, but according to me at least has the best story in the series - with choices that affect the entire game you play (and not just the ending like in W3); forcing you to do at least 2 play-throughs. Try it out, and if you can play it - believe me you will love it. Witcher 3 is what everyone knows - one of the absolute best modern RPGs, an example of how to do open world choice and story based RPGs etc. so no need for me to say more.

Just remember that you can play the game in any order. Witcher 1 is not needed to understand Witcher 2 or 3. Same for Witcher 2 (Not needed for W3) etc. Just look at the games as some adventures in the life of Geralt - a Witcher (another name for Monster Hunter who uses 2 swords - steel for humans and silver for monsters; potions and signs - basic forms of magic - to kill monsters)

Lol if old games were necessary, then by that logic even reading the books would be necessary - since the games are sequels of the Witcher Books - and I doubt many people have read those.

I ve read some of the books too :) The game is dated, I agree. But I feel like I should give it another shot

8 hours ago, l33tmaniac said:

I had played Witcher 1 for a dozen or so hours when it was released. Was more into shooters that time so found it boring and never cared about the series. Though I still had fun with Witcher 3, there were lots of references to events from older games. Infact game gives you an option to emulate Witcher 2 save by making some choices regarding the events that happened. Was clueless and randomly selected from the given choices. I guess you will enjoy W3 a bit more, if you have played W1 & 2.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Bauji said:

I had played Witcher 1 for a dozen or so hours when it was released. Was more into shooters that time so found it boring and never cared about the series. Though I still had fun with Witcher 3, there were lots of references to events from older games. Infact game gives you an option to emulate Witcher 2 save by making some choices regarding the events that happened. Was clueless and randomly selected from the given choices. I guess you will enjoy W3 a bit more, if you have played W1 & 2.

Game gives choices to import decisions - but it doesn't affect anything. If you do make those choices/import saves - you might have some easter eggs and some fan pleaser moments but otherwise it doesn't make any difference at all.

9 hours ago, roun90 said:

Game gives choices to import decisions - but it doesn't affect anything. If you do make those choices/import saves - you might have some easter eggs and some fan pleaser moments but otherwise it doesn't make any difference at all.

My point was that I was clueless about those easter eggs and fan pleaser moments. They would have a greater impact had I played the earlier games. But yeah, other than that I agree you aren't going to miss much by not playing the older games.

10 hours ago, DrkXeno said:

I bought this Game ages ago but haven't started yet... :|

Received it as a gift during IVG secret santa 2016 :) Never too late to play this gem of a game.

Edited by Bauji
  • Like 1