The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

ScrewyAurum

On 8/19/2019 at 4:48 PM, Bauji said:

Was always hesitant to start this game because of the intimidating number of hours it will require. Started this again in the weekend and couldn't put the controller down for hours. What an amazing open world!! Have spent hours in White Orchard itself and would have spent many more hours there exploring every question mark but the main quest took me to a point of no return. Reached Vizima and some dude asked me many questions regarding the events that happened in previous game. Had no clue and just picked some random answers. Hopefully this will not disable some of the interesting quests. Thee is a high probability that by the time Cyberpunk is released, I might still be playing this game.

After almost an year finished the game and its two dlcs. One of the best games ever created!! Every mission, side quest, witcher contract and even most of the treasure hunts are masterfully created and have good amount of backstory and lore behind it. Spent 126 hours total playing the base game + dlcs. Havnt participated in races, fist of fury missions, dint even touched Gwent and close to hundred "?" still there on the map. Could easily spend another 20-25 hours here. The quests are written so well and have so many vastly different possible outcomes with hours of completely different gameplay segments..it gets very hard to choose at times as there are no simple right/wrong or good/bad options. True RPG!! They really went the extra mile with the quest design. I am going to spend a long time watching the different quest endings on You Tube now.

Have high hopes with Cybrpunk and will definitely be playing it eventually but I like this fantasy setting more and Witcher 4 will be a day 1 buy!!

• Like 4

So...

The base game is INR 449 on the PS Store as part of the summer sale. So, I bought it. I know the basic concept/story of the game (I think, based on the game description and the Netflix series that I've seen). I have seen very few videos of the combat, so basically no idea how that will be. I have played about 8-10 hours of the first Witcher game. I had enjoyed it, but due to various reasons I left the game and never went back to it. Is it still okay, or do I (absolutely) need to watch some backstory video on YT. I know the start of this game explains the basic lore about Witchers, but is there anything else that's essential to know, to enjoy the game?

I hope I enjoy this. Always wanted to try it, and the sale price made me pull the trigger. Going by the last few posts here (and based on the general praise this game gets), I think I'm in for a good experience.

Just wanted to check how many hours am I looking at if I do the story + some side-quests that come my way? Need to ensure I allot a certain time because I don't want to leave it halfway because I couldn't commit a certain time to it.

1 hour ago, VelivolusDas said:

Is it still okay, or do I (absolutely) need to watch some backstory video on YT. I know the start of this game explains the basic lore about Witchers, but is there anything else that's essential to know, to enjoy the game?

Nothing really major. You will be fine without watching anything prior to playing this.

1 hour ago, VelivolusDas said:

Just wanted to check how many hours am I looking at if I do the story + some side-quests that come my way?

Solid 50+ hours. If you don't rush and cover good portion of areas + side quests you are looking at 75-100+ hours of great experience. 

If you end up liking the base game, get the expansions. Some of the best ones ever made. I liked it more than base game itself. 

3 hours ago, VelivolusDas said:

Just wanted to check how many hours am I looking at if I do the story + some side-quests that come my way? Need to ensure I allot a certain time because I don't want to leave it halfway because I couldn't commit a certain time to it.

I would suggest you keep it for later if you have time constraints. Dont do "some" side quests...these arent there just for padding the game length..they are quite good and lengthy, couple of hours long sometimes and many of them will impact the main story too.

2 hours ago, Joe Cool said:

If you end up liking the base game, get the expansions. Some of the best ones ever made. I liked it more than base game itself. 

This!!

• 4 weeks later...

Combat was never strong suit. Inventory was worse at launch and they made changes over time. Still not good but manageable. 

Story and characters are fantastic. 

Also can anyone guide me towards the best way of acquiring good gear? I currently equip the great with best stats but it looks terrible. 

No such thing as best. It depends on how you want to play. 

Gear comes in Basic, Enhanced, Superior, Mastercrafted, and Grandmaster. Legendary in NG+. At level 25+ any of the Superior Witcher sets will serve you best. Around 34+ you can get the master crafted sets, and then 40+ (expansions) you can get the Grandmaster sets. Early game use whatever you find. Explore world, find diagrams, do Scavenger hunt quests. 

Best choices are Feline/Wolven/Ursine/Manticore sets.

We’re working on the next generation edition of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt! 

Developed to take advantage of the most powerful gaming hardware, the next-gen edition of the game will feature a range of visual and technical improvements — including ray tracing and faster loading times — across the base game, both expansions, and all extra content.

The next generation edition of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt will release as a standalone purchase for PC, Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5, as well as a free update for everyone who already owns the game on PC, Xbox One and PlayStation 4. 

:wOOtjumpy:

15 hours ago, adity said:

But I'm kinda missing the QoL features of GoT like guiding wind. I hope future games do away with the minimap. 

This could be one of the contributors to why you aren't enjoying it that much. I remember playing RDR in 2016 and found it mediocre. And for the same reason I wanted to play TLOU2 last...but f**king spoilers :( 

However, I havnt played any game(yet) that comes even close to the quality of quests W3 has and whats amazing is that they were able to maintain that quality over the very long length of the base game + dlcs. 

15 hours ago, adity said:

But I'm kinda missing the QoL features of GoT like guiding wind. I hope future games do away with the minimap. 

This could be one of the contributors to why you aren't enjoying it that much. I remember playing RDR in 2016 and found it mediocre. And for the same reason I wanted to play TLOU2 last...but f**king spoilers :( 

However, I havnt played any game(yet) that comes even close to the quality of quests W3 has and whats amazing is that they were able to maintain that quality over the very long length of the base game + dlcs. 

46 minutes ago, Joe Cool said:

:wOOtjumpy:

Damn, thats awesome!! :majesty:

The free-upgrade news is awesome. Time to forget I even started playing the base PS4 version and will play it directly on the PS5, whenever I end up buying it.

But, I hope they allow owners of just the base game for a free upgrade, too. The image implies that owners of The Witcher III: Wild Hunt Complete Edition will get the next-gen upgrade.

On 8/6/2020 at 3:04 AM, VelivolusDas said:

So...

The base game is INR 449 on the PS Store as part of the summer sale. So, I bought it. I know the basic concept/story of the game (I think, based on the game description and the Netflix series that I've seen). I have seen very few videos of the combat, so basically no idea how that will be. I have played about 8-10 hours of the first Witcher game. I had enjoyed it, but due to various reasons I left the game and never went back to it. Is it still okay, or do I (absolutely) need to watch some backstory video on YT. I know the start of this game explains the basic lore about Witchers, but is there anything else that's essential to know, to enjoy the game?

I hope I enjoy this. Always wanted to try it, and the sale price made me pull the trigger. Going by the last few posts here (and based on the general praise this game gets), I think I'm in for a good experience.

Just buy it.

You'll spend anywhere between 50-200 hrs depending on what you pursue. Its one of the best games ever made

Crafting stuff is standard RPG stuff. Gameplay loop too. You are forgetting this is role playing game and not open-world trash with RPG elements thrown in like you see now.

Every item has a value and combining yields different results. You are supposed to discover, meet NPCs, see what they offer, play Gwent, and try out everything. 

If you don't like sword dodge shite, you can try different builds.  

2 hours ago, adity said:

Knowing CDPR, they'll give the upgrade to everyone. 

I hope so.

32 minutes ago, Snake said:

Just buy it.

You'll spend anywhere between 50-200 hrs depending on what you pursue. Its one of the best games ever made

Already did. For most of the reasons @adity has mentioned, I just can't seem to play it at a stretch. The inventory management seems daunting for someone like me who has grown-up playing on consoles where the inventory is generally not so complex.

Too much going on at any given point of time. Doesn't mean I've given up on the game. I'll just take my sweet time with it. The quests are second-to-none, though. Love them.

4 hours ago, VelivolusDas said:

I hope so.

Already did. For most of the reasons @adity has mentioned, I just can't seem to play it at a stretch. The inventory management seems daunting for someone like me who has grown-up playing on consoles where the inventory is generally not so complex.

Too much going on at any given point of time. Doesn't mean I've given up on the game. I'll just take my sweet time with it. The quests are second-to-none, though. Love them.

I was overwhelmed when I started the game and after a while got used to everything. It is a 10/10 game and I put it in the same bracket as Breath of the Wild. A must play.

Major props to CDPR for letting fans replay the game on newer consoles with a free upgrade. 

I doubt they will. They didn't even allow base game to GOTY edition save transfer. 

The save files on consoles won't be compatible between different game versions (GOTY vs regular version) as they are treated by systems as separate products.