Recommend some uses of a spare laptop

Ne0

I've an old laptop of wife (HP/Compaq , intel dual core, 2 GB RAM, currently running win Vista) , I want to put it some use , from the top of my mind

1. Use it as a NAS / File server

2. Media server (for use with PS3)

3. Turn it into a Chrome PC

4. Standalone general purpose linux server

It would greatly help if you guys can give me some pointers on which option is the best, w.r.t ease of setting up/configuring etc., especially considering the h/w capabilities of the m/c.

Thanks in advance :cheers:

Ne0 I can see the laptop adopted in the option 2) and option 4) situation the most.

• How much storage do you have on hand, that you want to turn this into a NAS system?
  • I cannot guide you with the PS3 because I do not own consoles thus don't know how you plan to use it exactly.
  • Why not option 4) which is the easiest?
  • Install whichever distro you prefer the most from the Linux family tree and you are good to go, anything specific you want to enquire please post.

Hope this helps, Cheerio!

^^ thanks alpha

1. Currently there's around 120 GB built in the laptop, i can attach an external USB of 1TB.

2. A linux server is the easiest , but I'm not sure on how to access media/files etc easily over the home network using my phone, ipad, win laptop, win desktop etc. If you can give me some pointers here, I would definitely prefer this.

^^ thanks alpha

1. Currently there's around 120 GB built in the laptop, i can attach an external USB of 1TB.

2. A linux server is the easiest , but I'm not sure on how to access media/files etc easily over the home network using my phone, ipad, win laptop, win desktop etc. If you can give me some pointers here, I would definitely prefer this.

The attached 1TB will be very slow to access over the network and the data transfer rates will be terrible.

Well that depends on how you plan to connect the system, wired OR wirelessly and the depending on driver support for your system we can proceed. Which distro do you plan to install on the laptop, Ubuntu, Puppy Linux, Debian, openSUSE?

Dependent on your answer we can check for the driver support and continue from that point on, although most things should function out of the box.

I am not 100% on this because I am not an active Linux user, mostly use it for retrieving files from a obstinate hard-drive OR in-case my colleague(s) have forgotten their Windows user password and need to backup data before formatting the system.

^^ Most probably, I'll go with ubuntu .... but whats the way to access data stored on linux server over android/ipad/other laptops on a local network ?

For ex: I've airserver to stream video to my ipad from windows PC (not sure if there's a smilar linux app)....

^^ Most probably, I'll go with ubuntu .... but whats the way to access data stored on linux server over android/ipad/other laptops on a local network ?

For ex: I've airserver to stream video to my ipad from windows PC (not sure if there's a smilar linux app)....

If it is there for Windows / Mac OS it has to be there for Linux (OR equivalents).

Donate it to a school or any non-profit organisation that can benefit from it.

maybe later , when I'm back in India .... for now , I need to put it to some use ....

@dylanjosh, thanks .... will look it up !

• 2 weeks later...

Archived