[PC] Ask The Experts Thread

arjun

@piper. what size is ok?

what do you use if you dont mind me asking?

read somewhree that anything below 40, fullHD resolution or Hd you cant make out the diff. true?

I think the more you get the better u'll get .. :bigyellowgrin:

i am going for a 22' monitor ;)

@piper. what size is ok?

what do you use if you dont mind me asking?

read somewhree that anything below 40, fullHD resolution or Hd you cant make out the diff. true?

I use a 22" monitor, Dell ST2210.

I remember a fullHD vs HD discussion quite sometime back where everyone (except me) was of the opinion that it just doesn't matter. But I feel it matters. Viewing 1080p native content and 780 upscaled content on my monitor I can tell the difference.

Get full HD, it is the right decision.

Edited by piper

^My setup is too messy to warrant a pic. But generally it looks similar to one guy who has put up pic of monitor on a desk, with PS3 alongside it.

I also use my PC with the same monitor actually, and the PSU is presently residing outside the cabinet, cables everywhere.

As I said, too messy to 'show-off'.

Need a good Router/Modem. Decent wifi coverage and should work with MTNL. Currently looking at the Asus RT-N13U. Like the fact that it can torrent without the PC.

Any better suggestions?

Edited by Aftrunner

False. I have 22 inch TV which I use as monitor, and I can clearly see that at 1080p the games look much more crisp than at 768p.

Depends on the viewing distance, if you are using it as a PC monitor and sit 2 feet away you will definitely notice the resolution bump. Here is an old handy chart for comparison's sake.

resolution_chart.jpg

I think Asus RT-N13U is standalone router with no DSL modem capabilities.

Ah crap. Didnt notice, confused it with the N10.

Hmmm so any other ideas? Cause I would rather get a AIO than get a modem separately. The current shitty modem I have drops sync way too often.

Edited by Aftrunner
  • Like 1

Okay, so am planning to upgrade my PC.

Current configuration :

Asus M4N 68TM

AMD X2 240

Corsair 2x2 GB DDR3 1333

Radeon HD 4670 1GB

I wish to be able to play most upcoming games (GTA5, MoH:Warfighter) and eventually Battlefield 4 with reasonable framerates at 1920x1080.

My initial idea was to purchase only a GFX card, but I am guessing a dual-core CPU would not be enough. Correct me if I am wrong.

Now I could upgrade my CPU alone, but the AM3 socket quad-cores are out of stock everywhere. Only option is to buy used or import (that would cost around 6-7k for a decent one).

1. Should I invest in just the CPU (probably importing), like a Phenom II X4 series? In such a case, is the mobo+RAM fine enough?

2. Or, invest in a new mobo+CPU+RAM and sell off the existing set to offset some of the cost (considering everything is still under warranty, 2 yrs old)?

Taking option 2, what would be an ideal mobo+CPU+RAM combo as of today. I want VFM, budget is around 10k. Among AMD/Intel which is better today, I have no idea so info on that would be nice.

And the million dollar question, which GFX card? Based on this, I will decide power supply (I'm decided on Seasonic S12 II Bronze 520W for now).

I am totally fine with buying used components as long as at least 1yr warranty is still remaining.

While on the topic, I saw an 8-core AMD black edition processor yesterday, was so tempted to build a rig around that... but better sense prevailed.

Edited by piper

selling a laptop. wanted to know how should i clean it completely before handing it over to buyer. how to delete all your files permanently and safely. also if all this is possible without deleting windows. by permanent deletion i mean, person is unable to use data recovery tools to recover my pc.

please help!!!

selling a laptop. wanted to know how should i clean it completely before handing it over to buyer. how to delete all your files permanently and safely. also if all this is possible without deleting windows. by permanent deletion i mean, person is unable to use data recovery tools to recover my pc.

please help!!!

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

Boot this from CD, wipe HDD, reinstall OS.

I have downloaded killdisk and using US DoD 5220.22-M(ECE)(7 PASSES, VERIFY) for deleting drives other than system drive as I dont have it in bootable form. And was thinking to use boot and nuke for system drive.

Also have used dell backup utility for windows install. Will this be enough before selling my laptop.

Should I erase complete disk with boot and nuke, will it serve the purpose.