[PC] Ask The Experts Thread

arjun

Sticky now

:arigato:

@Badger : As Wolfy asked, what would the laptop be used for primarily. Also, would you be travelling much. In which case, portability (screen size and weight) becomes a huge factor. Secondly, do you need a laptop or would a desktop suffice? Believe me, the people I know who didn't ask themselves this question...

Sorry for not mentioning the requirements earlier...

I don't need it for gaming but it should be capable of high performance. Preferably a 15 inch screen, 4GB RAM (expandable), i5 at least etc. I found a couple of laptops from Dell, Sony & Samsung but couldn't really decide.

@MSFTW, I not too sure about HP -- as in, don't care much for the company.

Edited by iHoneyBadger

My dad has previous gen Dell Inspiron 15

It has many issues

And Why don't U go for hp ??

Beats audio speakers are one of the best in the market

Hp has best value for money laptops imho

Above two lappies U provided , go with Samsung one it has a higher resolution screen and the other specs and price is the same

i have transcend external hard drive 320gb. on transcend there comes a software storejet elite. i used this software to encrypt some files and now the storejet elite does not work and complete drive becomes non responsive. is there any software to recover encrypted files. also if using a software i am able to recover files, should i then format the hard drive. will formatting hard drive ensure correcting of any probable issues with the drive.

please reply!!!!

@Srini : What would be the primary use of this rig at the moment? Because your request for onboard gfx pretty much rules out gaming. So basically, 2 CPU cores should suffice. But do you want to keep the gaming option open for the future? In which case you should opt for more than 2 cores on the CPU.

CPU : AMD Phenom II 970 (7k) or FX 4100 (6k)

Mobo : ASUS M5A97 (6.5k)

RAM : Corsair Vengeance or GSkill RipjawsX (1.7k for 4GB)

PSU : Corsair CX430 (2.8k)

Cabinet : Cooler Master Elite 311 (2k)

Monitor : Any 22" fullHD (8k onwards)

HDD : Seagate/WD 500GB (3.8k) <-- You didn't specify this, does he already have one?

Components on which expenses can be reduced :

Mobo (if okay with only two memory slots, so 16GB support). But the one I have specified will support upcoming AMD Piledriver processors as well.

Monitor (If full HD not required).

• Like 1

Oh, perfect. Then the rig fits the budget and requirements.

And mobo supports 32GB 1600MHz+ RAM, supports Crossfire GPUs, and upcoming AMD processor family as well. In my experience, a good motherboard is essential. An alternate from Gigabyte is the GA-970A-UD3 (and it's variants), but availability is a bit tough.

I'm looking to buy a cheap graphics card for my PC..

i have phenom 9950 black edition processor which has a onboard ATI Radeon HD 3300

and 4 gb ram..

Got this PC from more than 3 years..Never played much games in it..

My PS3 is about to die soon..So i need a gaming device till i get a new PS3..

I was browsing fliipkart and there are graphics cards starting from 2000..

so some1 please suggest a cheap and best graphics card..

I dont need the games to run at max graphics..

If i get decent graphics i'm good..

What is the resolution of your monitor? Your processor is good enough, you should pair it with the any of the x8xx series from ATI or x60 series from Nvidia.

The 6850 / 560 will cost you around 10k. Both are excellent VFM cards.

For a little lesser budget you could try the 6770 / 550 Ti .

If you want to lower the budget then you should opt for some used cards from other forums. You should be able to grab good deals in the 5-6k range. Some excellent old gen cards are the 460 and the 5850.

Pairing your processor with any cards lower than that would most likely cause a GPU bottleneck.

What is the resolution of your monitor? Your processor is good enough, you should pair it with the any of the x8xx series from ATI or x60 series from Nvidia.

The 6850 / 560 will cost you around 10k. Both are excellent VFM cards.

For a little lesser budget you could try the 6770 / 550 Ti .

If you want to lower the budget then you should opt for some used cards from other forums. You should be able to grab good deals in the 5-6k range. Some excellent old gen cards are the 460 and the 5850.

Pairing your processor with any cards lower than that would most likely cause a GPU bottleneck.

resolution is 1360 * 768

Oh...Cant afford 10 k now..

It makes no sense for me to buy a 10 k graphics card as i dont play once i get my PS3..

will see if i can get a cheap deal in deal..

Thanks for the info :)

Then the best thing for you is to opt for used cards on other forums like TE and Erodov .

And I sold my 4670 (still under warranty) for 2k last week. That would've been more than sufficient for your resolution.

What is your budget?