[PC] Ask The Experts Thread

arjun

Zodka you are special bro. One of a kind :hug:

kismat kismat ki baat hai..Teri kismat kharab hai :P

I know CM PSUs are not reliable but my CM Power plus worked fine for 5 years somehow....No issues..lol

i have been lucky so far too.. no budget right now for a new SMPS

Dude change your PSU now.....Zaruri nahi tu bhi lucky ho :P

Edited by Zodak™

Hello guys, so I am in a bit of a confusion here. I wish to play nfs rivals on my laptop using a controller. And, as you all know, the boneheaded developers have made it mandatory to use an Xbox 360 controller.

Now, my questiom is can I simply use a third party (duplicate) Xbox 360 controller as the original one's quite expensive.

This is the eBay link for the product:-

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Microsoft-Xbox-360-Wired-Controller-Remote-For-Xbox360-PC-/111182849920#ht_3279wt_689

PS: I've read that both the original as well as the duplicate make use of the same Xbox drivers provided by Microsoft.

No mate there aren't any retailers in my city that provide with gaming console accessories and so online shopping is the only source for me.

Also, how can an original wired Xbox 360 controller be cheaper?? On eBay, it costs ~2000/- and hence the reason I am looking to go for a third party one.

Thank you.

Hello guys, so I am in a bit of a confusion here. I wish to play nfs rivals on my laptop using a controller. And, as you all know, the boneheaded developers have made it mandatory to use an Xbox 360 controller.

Now, my questiom is can I simply use a third party (duplicate) Xbox 360 controller as the original one's quite expensive.

This is the eBay link for the product:-

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Microsoft-Xbox-360-Wired-Controller-Remote-For-Xbox360-PC-/111182849920#ht_3279wt_689

PS: I've read that both the original as well as the duplicate make use of the same Xbox drivers provided by Microsoft.

Just buy a used Xbox wired controller / DS3 from forums. Will be cheaper and better build quality than the one you are buying.

With DS3 you can even pair by bluetooth (Motionjoy ftw) and use it wireless.

After i shut down my pc, i cover the entire pc with a sheet of some sort so that it doesnt get dust. Should i continue to do that or is there any problem in covering the cpu with a sheet entirely?

And what is v-sync? With it off, i was easily getting 60+ fps on avg at ultra settings and 1080o in crysis 2 whereas with it on, the fps dipped to 40. Should i keep it on or off?

Edited by Sach4life

1. You can cover your PC. No issues.

2. V-Sync makes sure that the monitor would only change the image if it can change the whole frame. If your graphics card is done painting only 5/6 of the frame, it will wait until the next refresh rate to draw it. If your graphics card is done painting the frame before it's time to refresh, it will make the graphics card idle until the refresh rate.

If you're getting lot of screen tearing, turn it on. Or else set it to off.

After i shut down my pc, i cover the entire pc with a sheet of some sort so that it doesnt get dust. Should i continue to do that or is there any problem in covering the cpu with a sheet entirely?
No issue in covering your PC, just do it after about 10 minutes of shutting it down. Allows the system to vent heat out.

And what is v-sync? With it off, i was easily getting 60+ fps on avg at ultra settings and 1080o in crysis 2 whereas with it on, the fps dipped to 40. Should i keep it on or off?
V-sync is an image enhancement technology that tries to eliminate 'frame tearing' by trying to throttle and match the refresh-rate of the monitor to the pace which the graphic card sends frames to the monitor.Under most circumstances I suggest you turn it off to conserve frame rates unless the tearing issues are so bad that switching it on its worth the drop in frame rate.Sent from my ST27i

I suggest you go through this guide:

http://www.tweakguides.com/Graphics_9.html

Almost all settings are properly explained. Very useful.

I have a Latitude E6320, What are my gaming options on this workhorse??

What processor do you have and how much RAM?

The pickings are rather slim. Maybe indies and the odd older title will play nice with the iGP but I don't see any recent games of import running on this.

If you are looking at gaming, you need to build a fresh PC or purchase a newer laptop with a decent d-GPU.

AFAIK you are the go to guy for everything Master Race....Please advise.

If you ever mention the emboldened to me,

3qk8gb.jpg

Please, don't do it. :notangel:

Hope this helps, Cheerio!

Edited by ALPHA17

What processor do you have and how much RAM?

The pickings are rather slim. Maybe indies and the odd older title will play nice with the iGP but I don't see any recent games of import running on this.

If you are looking at gaming, you need to build a fresh PC or purchase a newer laptop with a decent d-GPU.

If you ever mention the emboldened to me,

3qk8gb.jpg

Please, don't do it. :notangel:

Ha ha ha.... Ok I wont.... but I already have few consoles at home and my friend has a monster of a PC for anything else. This is my official lappy....and I travel a lot so it gets very boring and I am not really a fan of phone/tab gaming. Some spec are :

Intel Core i5 2520M@2.50 GHZ 4 CPU 2.50GHZ

4GB RAM 32Bit OS

Direct x 11

Intel HD Graphics 1428MB

Anything else needed let me know.

Cheers

Intel Core i5 2520M

As I suspected, you have an Intel HD3000 iGP. I suggest you look at Indie titles that are dime a dozen on STEAM.

There is,

• Bastion
  • Super Meat Boy
  • FEZ
  • Closure
  • Superbrothers Sword and Sworcery: EP
  • Audiosurf (if you have a large music collection)
  • Super Hexagon
  • VVVVVV
  • Time FCUK
  • The Binding of Isaac
  • Papers, Please

Also you can check out GoG.com for old classics like,

• Planescape Torment
  • Deus Ex
  • Outcast
  • System Shock 2

You can find out detailed specifications on which all games will play nice on your iGP by visiting the STEAM page for the same.

Edited by ALPHA17

As I suspected, you have an Intel HD3000 iGP. I suggest you look at Indie titles that are dime a dozen on STEAM.

There is,

• Bastion
  • Super Meat Boy
  • FEZ
  • Closure
  • Superbrothers Sword and Sworcery: EP
  • Audiosurf (if you have a large music collection)
  • Super Hexagon
  • VVVVVV
  • Time FCUK
  • The Binding of Isaac
  • Papers, Please

Also you can check out GoG.com for old classics like,

• Planescape Torment
  • Deus Ex
  • Outcast
  • System Shock 2

You can find out detailed specifications on which all games will play nice on your iGP by visiting the STEAM page for the same.

Thanks brother.

In short, most of the AAA games are unplayable. Try Half Life 2 and its episodes.

For those I have my Console..... this is just for Traffic jams, Highways, Airport....etc. Meanwhile I sourced Torchlight, Max Payne 1, Simcity 4. and I still feel Kingdom Rush is the best option for those short bursts. Any ways thanks brother.

Cheers